View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 AM   #120
TranceAm
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Disappearing threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Ha ha, but I said close - that doesn't happen too much

But we now have two threads on the same subject.

Go here: http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6504

A..
AH, You beat me to the punch line..

Bill Ryans Post explains a lot..

You can close this one.. No hard feelings I hope.

Dear Friend:

Many thanks for your message. We're just looking into what happened here with that thread. Simon deleted it when he resigned as a moderator. As the originator of the thread, he's technically able to do that.

Unfortunately, he took away other people's replies as well.

It is crystal clear to me that this is unethical and irresponsible. Simon threw a tantrum. His action was immature. We do NOT know what specifically triggered this.

One does NOT delete other people's words and thoughts and feelings just because one has a personal issue in a different area (as Simon did, because he disagreed with the style of moderation that Kerry and I wanted to see: less thoughtless policing and more intelligent dialog with members, even if that was a hassle and took more time).

But while that was the general issue troubling him, Simon was suddenly greatly angered by someone or something and we do not know what it is. He is not telling.

We sympathize with anyone under stress, and who is upset, but we all have our responsibility and he will not be returning here to this forum as a moderator.

I am very sorry that this has happened. I personally apologize to all members. I do not know if the threads can be restored.

There is no malice here... just dumb human weakness. None of us are immune. The test of all of us is to respond with dignity, intelligence and responsibility even when irritated and angered (as I am now).

I ask all members to do that when they post. It's sometimes easy to be spiteful. It's sometimes hard to be honest. (And honesty begins with what's going on with each of us personally... not the other guy.)

Having said all this, I support Kate's comments above. The Original Poster made a range of general accusations which are unhelpful in the assumptions that were made. A PM would have been more appropriate. Spreading drama is not helpful. It is (by definition) off-topic.

To summarize: none of the moderators are bad people. Some of them have been under a lot of pressure. They have been working incredibly hard. I am extremely grateful for the work they have all done. It's very easy to criticize when one is not doing their work. But all of us, myself included, always need to reach inside us to find our best, especially in these times.

Very best wishes, Bill

Last edited by TranceAm; 11-01-2008 at 05:09 AM.