View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #389
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Demonstrable law is cosmic law to my mind.
Dont think you can have a law without intelligence.
That is an assumption. You must also then assume that an intelligence put the laws in place which govern the intelligence which created the laws of physics. Then you have to assume that an intelligence put the laws in place which govern the intelligence which created the intelligence which created the laws of physics. Logcially, this must proceed ad infinitum. The solution with the least assumptions is more often than not the correct answer. To assume that the universe has always existed and that the laws that govern it have as well is just as reasonable (well more so) than assuming that it was 'created' by something.

Quote:
Regarding the Hand of God.
A couple of subjective experiences in brief.
Having been a pentecostal/charismatic Christian for many years I could tell you many such tales myself if I choose to I imagine. However, it does nothing to answer the problem as to why one persons prayers appear to be answered and anothers isn't. Why would god turn his back on his good and faithful servants and give a young woman Multiple Scelorsis? Why not heal this woman after literally thousands of people from all over have prayed for her? Why abandon her to incredible sufferring after the protocals of scripture have been followed? These are retorical questions as there is no acceptable answer.

If the Universe is some great living conscious being there is no more reason to think it is anymore concerned with us, or even aware of us, than we are with individual bacteria living in our stomachs. Human beings make up stories to explain the unexplainable. It makes us feel better. To recognize this and peer deeply into the mystery does not mean you have to adopt vaporous and indestinct notions of what the truth might be. You can of course, and many people do but that is not truth.

All we (human beings) have is each other. That is it. We stand on this rock hurtling through space as a single unit although we do not perceive ourselves as such. We must help each other as there is no help coming from anywhere else. Not from mystic spiritual realms nor the vast depths of space. This hard truth is apparent from a survey of human history.

I want to say again how much I greatly appreciate your willingness to engage me in conversation about this topic.
trainedobserver is offline   Reply With Quote