Thread: start farming
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: start farming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekkup View Post
If you are not yet farming, start it now in the next summer. Would be good. You can ask your local town/city council about a garden if you don't have your own land. In Finland it's possible to rent 10x10m areas for cheap price from the technical centres of the city councils. The places are ordinary fields near and inside of the city. You can rent several pieces of land if you want.

If there are no such places available in your city, you can ask the council to create them -- they would just plow the area in the spring and mark the areas with numbers. If the city council won't do it, do some political campaign to start it. The best would be to go to ask about it right now, so that they can think about how to implement such a system if there is not yet something like that.

In Finland the price for such 10x10m garden is 12 EUR for one summer -- not bad at all.

2,5 ares (are = 10x10m) is enough for one person's vegetarian food production for one year (in Finland -- more to south it's more efficient naturally), but then if you want to be completely self-sufficient with food you have to pick up all the berries and mushrooms you can + do some fishing.

Okay... take care everyone. I hope good common sense and good will for politicians in this and all matters, both local and higher level politicians!! Please also spread this message!
My hubbie is Finnish and I had the privilege of visiting there once. Because Finland has long winters how did the Finnish people traditionally preserve their foods? Do Finnish people make sauerkraut?

best,
Gnosis
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote