View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #21
MMe M
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: buying gold/ moving to ecuador not likely for me. Options for the modest of means

Alysse,
My adoptive parents and grandparents were older, hence I do know what it is to have only seasonally available fruits and vegetables, to wait for something (Watermelon in winter was unheard of) and to gather things while you can, dry can and preserve. I can make soap, mayonnaise, know how to garden organically, and so many other things that people today take for granted or look down their noses at.

I was buying a 25 pound bag of flour and a women looked at me in disbelief and asked "Do you have a big family?" To which I replied "No, I just bake a whole lot of bread" She rolled her eyes and said "Thanks god I don’t have to do that anymore" and I felt sorry for her. I immediately knew she couldn’t bake, but saw it as a low and common thing to do. Personally, I bake the best French bread with a crust to die for and don’t like buying it. She can do nothing but sit at a desk day after day.

We all need some practical skills and the ability to tell the difference between need and want. Nobody should have to tell us what is the highest priority, the career path or choice in life without having someone on TV show us.

I am not quite as seasoned as you but I still know the difference. We had three channels when we had a TV signal. Were used to be pretty rural here.

Last edited by MMe M; 09-13-2008 at 06:02 AM.
MMe M is offline   Reply With Quote