View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #68
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Come have a sit down with me around the Pot Bellied Stove and talk story.

Ah, home at last! Darn it’s been a tough summer hasn’t it? (Winter for you northern hemisphere folks).

Carol, THIS is PA, in every sense of the word. Right enough of that.

Just to let you know who/where/what I am, in between the foolery, the rants and raves, I am just an average Joe, who loves his family. I have 3 boys and an incredible soul mate/partner/wife. (I may share the story of our meeting on day, quite interesting).
Currently I am involved in a project that keeps me far from home for 5 weeks at a time with a one week break between. This is not ideal but one has to do what is necessary to keep food on the table and a roof over-head.
As I write this in word to copy and paste to Avalon when done, the office around me buzzes with multinationals all in a similar predicament to me. We are for the most part all expats on an island building a nickel refinery and plant, complete with port facilities. There are a substantial number of locals here too. If I knew how I would post a few pics, (any ideas?) the project is huge and will most likely end up costing in the region of 4.5 Billion $’s.
The irony is that whilst being stuck in “paradise” on this tropical Island, we are confined to camp purely out of the company not wanting us to use their vehicles. Oh, you can BUY one and use it and go anywhere but costs here are rather prohibitive.
The mine itself sits atop a massif and we have to build a conveyor of approximately 16 Km’s (10 miles) all the way down the mountain to the facility. Well, that is part of what I am in control of anyway, however there is lots more.
My part in this? I am a planning engineer. Do I like what I do? Not anymore, I used to love it but things have changed. I think the “things” that have changed are in the main the way I think and see things these days.
The island is sort of a miniature New Zealand in aspect but a LOT warmer. The warmth factor has knocked my health for a 6 (cricket term for our American friends…meaning out of bounds, maximum score) and I have had a torrid time of it for the last 2 weeks. I need some of that natural honey being spoken about with fresh lemon, yes that would do the trick.

More later……thanks for the splendid company around the stove…..

Love

Z
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote