Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Preparations / Advice (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Some essential oils and their medicinal properties (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3329)

Cookie 09-25-2008 12:35 AM

Some essential oils and their medicinal properties

I was thinking about the availability of medicine in a crisis situation... There's hundreds of medicinal plant that we could be collecting, but, most of us don't know the difference between Yarrow and Queen Ann's Lace!

I have started purchasing 'essential oil' for my radiant zone first aid kit. I would like to share my research with you. I'm going to create a 'recipe' notebook with dosages, tea recipes and such. I'm also going to include a picture of the plant so I know what I'm looking for if and when I run out of the oils....

I hope this helps you!

Essential Oils with Medicinal Properties

Clary Sage: Anxiety, menstruation, menopause, childbirth aid, headaches, digestion, asthma, hair care

Eucalyptus: Infectious diseases, asthma, bronchitis, arthritis, headache, athletes foot, disinfectant, muscle pain and strain, insect repellent, invigorating

Geranium: Depression, menopause, pms, anxiety, skin disorders, cuts, cellulites, eczema, uplifting

Lavender: The universal oil - Calming nervous tension, insomnia, pms, headaches, wound and skin care, athletes foot, arthritis, asthma

Lemongrass: Lymph drainage, antiseptic, infectious diseases, insect bites/ repellent, disinfectant, Stimulates digestion and circulation

Orange (sweet): Depression, nervous tension, insomnia, over-sensitivity, digestive disorders, anti-inflammatory, dermatitis, bronchitis

Patchouli: Chapped/cracked skin, hair care, athletes foot, insect repellent,

Peppermint: Headaches, muscle stiffness, infectious diseases, fever, lymph drainage, asthma, Arthritis, insect bites, toothache, stimulates metabolism, car sickness

Rose: Heart soother, menopause, headaches, allergies, eczema or aged skin,

Ylang ylang: Anxiety, nervous tension, lowers blood pressure, insomnia, stimulates hair growth,

ANALGESIC : Birch, Black Pepper, Roman Chamomile, Eucalyptus, Ginger Root, Lavender, Lemongrass, Sweet Marjoram, Peppermint, Wild Rosemary.

ANTI-BACTERIAL : Basil, Clove, Eucalyptus,, Geranium, Grapefruit,Helichrysum, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lime, Orange, Oregano, Rosewood.

ANTI-CATARRHAL : (helps remove excess mucus (catarrh) from the respiratory or lymph systems and the body itself.) Eucalyptus, Ginger, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Lemongrass, Ravensara, Rosemary, Sandalwood.

ANTI-DEPRESSANT : Basil, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Orange, Sandalwood.

ANTI-FUNGAL : Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Oregano, Rosewood, Sage, Thyme.

ANTI-INFECTIOUS : Oregano, Pine.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY : Basil, Bergamot, Birch, Roman Chamomile, Helichrysum, Lavender, Lemongrass, Myrrh, Peppermint, Thyme.

ANTI-MICROBIAL : Cinnamon Bark, Helichrysum, Lemon, Myrrh, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme.

ANTI-PARASITIC : An agent which prevents and destroys parasites Basil, Oregano.

ANTI-RHEUMATIC : Birch, Eucalyptus, Helichrysum, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme.

ANTI-SEPTIC : Cinnamon Bark, Ginger, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Marjoram, Ravensara, Sandalwood, Tangerine.

ANTI-SPASMODIC : Prevents and eases spasms or convulsions - Birch, Roman Chamomile, Eucalyptus, Helichrysum, Lavender, Marjoram.

ANTI-VIRAL : Clove, Eucalyptus, Myrrh, Oregano, Ravensara, Rosewood, Sage.

IMMUNE-STIMULANT : An agent which stimulates the natural defense mechanism of the body - Frankincense, Lemon, Oregano, Thyme.

I'm also looking for medicinal plant info for Thyroid dysfunction...

I'm hoping that you will contribute information that will be useful in my medicinal recipe book!

Thanks!
OpenEyes

Soul Sequence 09-25-2008 12:49 AM

Re: Some essential oils and their medicinal properties

Thank you, OpenEyes for your post, all our independent research and sharing helps the community as a whole.

Regards and Blessings,
Soul Sequence

SoP 09-25-2008 09:45 AM

Kelp and iodine are both good for low thyroid. Buglewart is good for the heart palpations associated with hyperthyroidism. Valerian is good for the anxiety that can accompany both conditions.

To monitor thyroid, take temperatures every day upon waking for at least three days. People with normal thyroid are between 97.8-98.2. Much below that is a good indicator of low thyroid; above is high thryoid. Special note: Ovulating women should only take temperatures for thyroid purposes during the week of menses. Any other time of the month can give a reading based on ovulation period instead of thyroid/metabolism.

STARCHILD 09-25-2008 10:40 AM

Hello!
A Wonderful idea!I look forward to this lovely thread!
Please always be aware that not all essential oils are suitable for use during pregnancy.And that you must 'always' use a much lower dose of essential oils on children.It a really good idea to always consult a proffessional Aromatherapist for advice if you are atall unsure.
Essential oils are extremly beneficial to the Mind,body and soul-provided the correct dosages are used.Book shops now supply a wonderful choice of books on Aromatherapy oils.
The art of Aromatherapy is a beautiful gift indeed!It's history dates back to 'ancient times'.The use of 'Essential Oils 'dates back thousands of years.Most commonly known is the use of 'essential oils' by the 'Ancient Egyptians'.
Essential Oils are a precious gift from Mother Nature x

QUOTE-"There is a cure on Earth for every ill"-Hippocrates

STARCHILD 09-25-2008 05:32 PM

Hi beautiful friends,
I wanted to recommend a really fabulous Aromatherapy Encyclopedia.

It has been my Aromatherapy 'bible' for many years and I always refer back to it when need be.
It has over 360 entries,from Antibiotics,to zinc!
And covers 200 conditions from Abcess to Zona, AND 74 ESSENTIAL OILS!
Great as a point of reference in the FUTURE! Essential oils are great to use during times of 'stress and shock'.
AROMATHERAPY an A-Z by Patricia Davis
ISBN O-85207-295-3

THE eXchanger 09-25-2008 08:27 PM

i utilise essential oils/and, flower essences
all the time :)

(rocks love them too)--esp. essential oils

apparently, per Kerry, we are allowed to network
so, put up your links to where people can get them
(do NOT be shy about this)

we should be trading amongst ourselves as much as possible ;)

i get my essential oils at wholesale through www.ineways.com/workingwonders

and, my flower essences /greens/organic / pine bark /
red wine extracts, brown seaeeds etc.,
at wholesale through www.rgarden.net/workingwonders

love
susan
the eXchanger

whitecrow 09-28-2008 08:42 AM

This is great information. I too keep EOs in my medicine chest as well as my cleaning closet and soapmaking cabinet. There are some cautions to observe:

Essential Oils are exactly that - the concentrated essence of the plant...they are very strong botanicals and not to be used lightly. Few of them are safe for undiluted (neat) use on skin. Some of them have produced severe reactions in sensitive people, and sensitization can occur at any time.

Don't mean to scare anyone - the truth is that it's rare to be really hurt by careless use of EOs. But it is a big mistake to think that they are completely safe and benign. Some are extreme irritants.

The EOs that I use the most around the house and in personal-care products are lavender and tea tree. These are almost always safe on skin, and I use them on my animals, too. Lavender is a good flea repellent and kills germs as well as Lysol. Fill a trigger sprayer with a vinegar/water solution, and add 1/2 oz of lavender oil. You'll have to keep shaking this but it makes a fabulous cleaner.

There are probably 50 lavender oils on the market. Lavender, like roses, comes in many varieties, and the aroma varies. Some are herby and grassy and even a little harsh. Others are real sweet and girly.

Patchouli is also safe for the skin, but folks younger than me don't generally care for it. It's extremely pungent and I use it mainly as a bass note in fragrances.

Oregano oil is a very strong germicide. It can be taken internally in capsules, but it is very peppery and you'll feel the burn. Take it with food if you have a tender tummy.

In general, EOs should not be directly inhaled. Open the bottle and waft the fragrance toward you with your hand. In general, they should be diluted with a carrier oil such as almond, grapeseed, olive or whatever, before being applied to the skin. Do not assume that an EO has the same properties as the herb. The properties of EOs are a specialty within herbalism.

It's out of print, but you might look on Amazon for a copy of Plant Aromatics by Martin Watt. Martin was a professional perfumer for many many years, in addition to being an organic chemist. His book is full of technical data and information on toxicity and reactions for almost any EO you can think of.

mntruthseeker 09-28-2008 05:19 PM

thank you for your post

You are beautiful and have no idea how important it was to read all of that:biggrin2:

mntruthseeker 09-28-2008 05:21 PM

wow thanks whitecrow. I am a very naive person and was going to assume you did more than sniff the products

I have so much to learn

Thanks your beautiful too

I never heard of these oils before:biggrin2: