Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   News And Updates (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21062)

raulduke 03-17-2010 02:36 AM

I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha

(video)
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...ha---raj-patel

Huffington Post

Raj Patel, the author of the recent book "The Value of Nothing," has experienced a bizarre incarnation of the "Colbert Bump" after appearing on "The Colbert Report" in January.

Patel has apparently been discovered by a religious group called "Share International" which awaits the second coming of Buddha in the form of a Messiah they call "Maitreya." The group's religious leader, Benjamin Creme, identified the Maitreya as having been born in 1972, traveled to London from India in 1977, being dark-skinned, and having a stutter. After Raj Patel came on "The Colbert Report," and was described in an article as having briefly stuttered, Creme officially declared that Patel was the group's Messiah.

Patel spoke with Stephen Colbert last night over the phone about his recent Messiah-hood. He called the whole idea "entirely bogus," especially considering his strongly-held belief that we shouldn't rely on religious leaders to make decisions for us, but to think for ourselves. In "The Value of Nothing," Patel urges people to think about the true costs of the things we purchase, and take concrete steps towards changing the world.

Watch the vid (sorry bout the stupid commercial and popups. comedy central's website and all), I like how Raj handles the catch 22 situation Share International puts him in. We don't really need great leaders, we can think for ourselves.

dddanieljjjamesss 03-17-2010 08:34 PM

Re: I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha

the title cracked me up
i've been listening to freeman's discussions on raj and the whole maitreya thing
it will be interesting to see what happens:wink2:

Mercuriel 03-17-2010 08:46 PM

Here comes the Maitreya eh ? Hmmm - Watch this Raj Patel, methinks...

:trumpet:

Moxie 03-17-2010 09:26 PM

yeah, funny thread title.. laughing, good medicine!

and another yeah, beware of holograms, thought forms & beliefs that the ego identifies with.... geyawd has it really been,what, over 12 yrs since I ran across Share International, they are still around?

I'm tired, I must need a good nap.

raulduke 03-18-2010 07:48 AM

Hi Moxie,

Did you have some experience with Share International?

I was wondering if anybody knows what this Benjamin Creme's claim to fame is?

Humble Janitor 03-18-2010 08:58 AM

Maitreya? Didn't these loonies once accuse Obama of being so?

Steve_A 03-18-2010 09:21 AM

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between Buddha and Margerine. I used Stork. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulduke (Post 258340)
(video)
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...ha---raj-patel

Huffington Post

Raj Patel, the author of the recent book "The Value of Nothing," has experienced a bizarre incarnation of the "Colbert Bump" after appearing on "The Colbert Report" in January.

Patel has apparently been discovered by a religious group called "Share International" which awaits the second coming of Buddha in the form of a Messiah they call "Maitreya." The group's religious leader, Benjamin Creme, identified the Maitreya as having been born in 1972, traveled to London from India in 1977, being dark-skinned, and having a stutter. After Raj Patel came on "The Colbert Report," and was described in an article as having briefly stuttered, Creme officially declared that Patel was the group's Messiah.

Patel spoke with Stephen Colbert last night over the phone about his recent Messiah-hood. He called the whole idea "entirely bogus," especially considering his strongly-held belief that we shouldn't rely on religious leaders to make decisions for us, but to think for ourselves. In "The Value of Nothing," Patel urges people to think about the true costs of the things we purchase, and take concrete steps towards changing the world.

Watch the vid (sorry bout the stupid commercial and popups. comedy central's website and all), I like how Raj handles the catch 22 situation Share International puts him in. We don't really need great leaders, we can think for ourselves.

micjer 03-18-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulduke (Post 258990)
Hi Moxie,

Did you have some experience with Share International?

I was wondering if anybody knows what this Benjamin Creme's claim to fame is?

He is like the Billy Graham of this particular religious faith. Been spouting for years for those that would listen. not too many imo

:shocked:

JuLiSsa 03-18-2010 12:57 PM

He called the whole idea "entirely bogus," especially considering his strongly-held belief that we shouldn't rely on religious leaders to make decisions for us, but to think for ourselves. In "The Value of Nothing," Patel urges people to think about the true costs of the things we purchase, and take concrete steps towards changing the world.

I like Raj so much and his message is awesome. :wub2::wub2:

As far as him being "the one" I don't really care much if he is or not. He's already a winner in my book.

Blessings,

Julissa