Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Anyone Noticing Clocks are Different? (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5588)

warngen 10-18-2008 11:39 AM

Anyone Noticing Clocks are Different?

The clock on my computer is always slower than my new clock/radio. The good thing about my new clock is that normally, one would have to set the clock after buying it. The clock I have sets itself! It also accounts for DST.(I believe it is set to the atomic clock) You can plug it in and out as many times as you want and it still sets itself, just as with a cellphone.
Now regarding my computer: I have to re-synchronize the damn thing EVERY DAY. I synchronized it before I went to work. When I came home, it was 3 min different than my clock/radio. If I go too long with out synchronizing it, it will just keep getting more and more out of sync with the clock/radio.
Does anyone else seem to have this "phenomena" occurring with them as well, or is it just my computer ***ing up?
Anyone??

Thanks for your time:original:

Treckie 10-18-2008 11:48 AM

Re: Anyone Noticing Clocks are Different?

Sounds like you need a new computer battery buddy. :smoke:

Colin 10-18-2008 12:50 PM

Moving to Off Topic:original:

WineHippie 10-18-2008 12:59 PM

Soul Sequence 10-18-2008 01:37 PM

Time, as we know it, is only an illusion. We usually think of time as having three parts - Past, Present, Future. But what is the Past - only a collection of memories. We can't experience the Past, we can only remember it. And we can only remember it in the Present (furthermore, our memories are noticeably unreliable). There is no objective thing that we call the Past; it can't be measured in any way; our only contact with it is in the Present.
And what is the Future - only a mental construct in the Present. We can't experience the Future until it "becomes" the Present. Until then it only a hope and dream. We can project what the Future may be like, but we are considerably less accurate than when we remember the Past. There is no objective thing that we call the Future; it can't be measured in any way; our only contact with it is in the Present.

That leaves us with only the Present - the ever changing Present. Time is an illusion we created to try and measure the rate of change of the Present. It's always NOW. But it's an ever changing NOW. In a effort to cope with the change, we have invented time. It's a handy mental device that helps us deal with the higher order derivatives of the rate of change.

This change that we experience in the ever present Present does have a "direction." Things change in the general direction of having greater entropy. Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder in a system. That's why when we measure time we find it restricted to one direction (unlike when we measure distance) - things are changing such that the overall system has more and more entropy.
Leigh Brasington
2005/05/04
Written in honor of Kurt Gödel, who also didn't believe in Time (New Yorker ~ Feb 28, 2005, pg 80ff
http://www.leighb.com/notime.htm

Mark 10-18-2008 09:18 PM

My radio alarm clock that wakes me in a morning - for a week now has been telling me one time when it goes off and when I come into my living room the clock there is an hour behind it and also my two computer clocks tell the same time has the living room clock - when I go back and check the time on my clock radio it is the same time has all the other clocks - it's driving me to distraction. I've no idea what's going on - one good thing though is I'm getting up in good time for everything, but my sleep his suffering slightly.

THE eXchanger 10-18-2008 09:29 PM

computer battery:lmao:

some computers, have two of them :wall:

then tech comes, and, suggests you only replace
one of them, i suppose, so, a few weeks/or months later
he can come again, and, charge you twice ;)

it is when you have complete days missing...
that is when i get concerned ;)

or, you try to come back to your body
in the middle of the night,
and, you can NOT get in,
cause something else is in there

brightest blessings
susan
the eXchanger

100thmonkey 10-19-2008 07:32 PM

My watch has been gradually going off sync for the last ten years. It's up to 20 minutes fast now and I've nver changed it except for daylight savings.