Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Default Service 2 Others = Service 2 Self

Often I’ve read that ascending to a higher spiritual level is gravely influenced by the factor if you have lived this life at service to oneself or at service to others.

In my opinion you can only be at service to others, when your own life is on track. To keep your life on track, you have to be at service to yourself first, in order to be genuine in your service to others.

Besides that, ‘giving’ – Service To Others - is the ultimate form of selfishness. In that perspective, Service To Others = Service To Self.
TRANCOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
serenade
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Service 2 Others = Service 2 Self

I was thinking that today too.
Never ever forget yourself...

And to be honest, don't think too much about ascension, always do what feels right to you.

Don't panic, and always remember where your towel is. ;p
serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Jack
Avalon Senior Member

Service to self is service to others.

Working on ourselves and our dominant emotional frequency automatically leads to great service to all through the effects of this energy.

I cant remember where i heard this story, but im sure some of you will know it familiar. There was a group of people, they could have been Buddhist monks now, im not quite sure, but their intention was to meditate for certain periods of time envisioning peace in the city. Throughout the experiment the crime rate in the city plummeted to never seen before depths. The city ran more smoothly, more money was made in the stock exchange and things went generally a little bit more smoother then normal, all down to a small group of people excercising the innate ability we all possess. Inspirational!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

If everyone else is happy I'll be happy and if I'm happy I'll make other people happy which will make me happy!
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

In my opinion both of them in balance make a good team .
What about simplifying it then to just " a life of service "

Love from me
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddanieljjjamesss View Post
If everyone else is happy I'll be happy and if I'm happy I'll make other people happy which will make me happy!
Keep sharing the love.
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade View Post
I was thinking that today too.
Never ever forget yourself...

And to be honest, don't think too much about ascension, always do what feels right to you.

Don't panic, and always remember where your towel is. ;p
What's the towel for?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
serenade
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANCOSO View Post
What's the towel for?
Well, you will now when you read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
(It was a joke.)
serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Well, you will now when you read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
(It was a joke.)
Serenade, I'm the one who makes the jokes here!
Anyway, you're from Belgium, so I presume you understand Dutch. Go to www.ikgeloofalles.nl click on 'verhaal' & from there 'archive', if you like to laugh out loud!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Frank Samuel
Project Avalon Moderator

Talking Re: Service 2 Others = Service 2 Self

Serving others is a natural joyful process, and by doing so you gain more than the person you are serving. Is as natural as the air you breath is nothing to worry about is you are honest with yourself. The act of love is express by giving of ourselves to those that surround us. This act of love is contagious and creates a true feeling of satisfaction. I am hooked, share your love with others and forget about the labels and terminology. Breath , Love and be happy.
Lets have a party of giving, as I write this my 1 yr. old and 3 yr. old are dancing , happy as can be and so a my. Love every chance you get , is natural and contagious. Watch out, you are going to get sick with the love bug.
Frank Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #11
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: Service 2 Others = Service 2 Self

Let Me really bake Your Noodle...

All that Is - Is All is One. As the Prime Creator/Source is All that Is - You are part of All that Is no matter what You may think of the concept. That only decides Your Separateness - Or Your Unity relative to Source while on the Path.

When You choose Your own Separate Will over the Unified Will of Source - You ARE in essence serving Your own Free-Will - Even as a Source aspect.

Source wished to know Itself and so fragmented Itself to accomplish this. In this Fragmentation - Even though there is Separateness in Descension away from Source or Unity in Ascension back to Source and All that Is - The Prime mover in all the Creation(s) is to Experience Oneself to Know Oneself.

Therefore when We serve others We serve Divine Will in Unity as all Others are aspects of Source. When We serve Ourselves - We serve Our choice to be Separate.

Simply put - You either serve Yourself by serving Others in Unity - Or You serve Yourself by serving Yourself in Separateness...

Those Choices which serve expansion are Source Choices whereas Choices which serve suppression are Self Choices...

Hence the reason why I have said - "You will do the Will regardless - Its just - Will You be a Catalyst for Expansion or a Barrier for Suppression ?"

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:39 AM   #12
Ravens and Doves
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANCOSO View Post
Often I’ve read that ascending to a higher spiritual level is gravely influenced by the factor if you have lived this life at service to oneself or at service to others.

In my opinion you can only be at service to others, when your own life is on track. To keep your life on track, you have to be at service to yourself first, in order to be genuine in your service to others.

Besides that, ‘giving’ – Service To Others - is the ultimate form of selfishness. In that perspective, Service To Others = Service To Self.

Right on the target, Trancoso. I could not say it better. I mentor of mine once said, "After all the spiritual books and philosophies have made their statements, the most spititual thing you can do is help anthother person... any person."

It really does work. After a short time of true-hearted service, volunteer or paid, you feel better. The more you put yourself forward... the stronger the self empowerment and the benighn empowerment of of those around you. Ater a while, your life, coupled with some spiritual/cultural study (or creating your own symbols and prayer sytems if your creative) will open up a door to crown chakra/kundalini and/or other types of epiphany... your own course in miracles.

The lifestyle has to be maintained. If you kick back... or worse, become idle or self destructive (like I'm on the edge of), you will loose the energy and have climb back up out of the dark hole. But the good you accomplished will live on. You might not get credit for if, the those you've helped will always remeber the kindness.

Paul
Ravens and Doves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
truthseekerdan
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriel View Post
Let Me really bake Your Noodle...

All that Is - Is All is One. As the Prime Creator/Source is All that Is - You are part of All that Is no matter what You may think of the concept. That only decides Your Separateness - Or Your Unity relative to Source while on the Path.

When You choose Your own Separate Will over the Unified Will of Source - You ARE in essence serving Your own Free-Will - Even as a Source aspect.

Source wished to know Itself and so fragmented Itself to accomplish this. In this Fragmentation - Even though there is Separateness in Descension away from Source or Unity in Ascension back to Source and All that Is - The Prime mover in all the Creation(s) is to Experience Oneself to Know Oneself.

Therefore when We serve others We serve Divine Will in Unity as all Others are aspects of Source. When We serve Ourselves - We serve Our choice to be Separate.

Simply put - You either serve Yourself by serving Others in Unity - Or You serve Yourself by serving Yourself in Separateness...

Those Choices which serve expansion are Source Choices whereas Choices which serve suppression are Self Choices...

Hence the reason why I have said - "You will do the Will regardless - Its just - Will You be a Catalyst for Expansion or a Barrier for Suppression ?"

Well said Mercuriel. Totally agree in Unity.

~ Love & Light ~
truthseekerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
Clarityofawareness
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
And to be honest, don't think too much about ascension, always do what feels right to you.;p
Agreed and thanks for reminding me for I tend to get to involved with the challenges of others.

Kevin
Clarityofawareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
hollylindin
Avalon Senior Member

I always liken the service to self/others thing to oxygen masks: When you're flying in an airplane, the steward(ess) tells you that, if cabin pressure changes, the oxygen masks will drop and you must put them on. But remember to put on your OWN mask before helping a child or someone who can't quite help themselves. I think this is the perfect analogy for Life: If you aren't taking care of yourself, just HOW can anyone expect you to care for another?!

Service to others and service to self are two sides of the same coin. I'm happy to help another with whatever I can, but I must keep myself going in the process; after all, if my energy is depleted and I don't have enough for myself, how can I give some of it to another?

<3
hollylindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Its great to see a thread where everyone is in harmonious agreement.
Thats selfless service.
The action of non-action.
The ultimate prayer is.
"How may I be of service to you beloved God"

Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
tintagelcave
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Trancoso, I mostly agree on your message, I've been working on that one quite hard. The traditional Jewish people invest in a strong ego, for reasons that you cannot let go of the ego without knowing it's force, before letting it go. They're working on it, I suppose, in Israel. Mildly put and no offense!
I am a Dutch preacher's daughter and grew up within a believe system that I wasn't supposed to think for myself, that God (and my parents) knew what was best for me, serve others without learning about boundaries. That's been a very important lesson for me. I found out, after a long journey, that autonomy, knowledge of self, combined with trust and love for our feelings, also those of pain and sorrow, is instrumental in service to others. Then, there's no dependance on trade of energy. Within a lemniscate, in connection, "and" instead of "or". That's what I believe.
tintagelcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

My 5 cents as you call it

In my understanding Source story is a love story and not a story of fragmentation and descension into the Abbys, that is not necessary but it is an option

Source decided to have some babies instead, like you and me can have sons and daughters. The fact that we have sons and daughters does not mean that they are in any way less than us the parents. Our children can chose to have a constructive life or a destructive life and will reap the consequences of their decisions sooner or later and very likely in this lifetime

Source created a system that is self regulating based in the use of energy. If we used more energy that we had we will have consequences in our lives like being unhappy, unloved etc. Not by Source but by ourselves

For example, if we do not love the totality of who we are, how can we appreciate and love others? It is not possible

If we allow others to raid our energy we will not have enough for the normal functions of our cells

So service to others means that we have to be responsible and seflsuficient at all levels and to love and respect all of creation including those who have chosen the path of service to self but, and here is the but, without self sacrificing and letting the service to self people to run the show and get away with it

Service to others imply that we have healthy boundaries that foster mutual respect and self respect and to do things because we agree to them and consider them as the highest outcome for all involved. In other words creating win - win situations that raise our levels of energy rather than depleating it

Service to others or the path of self destruction happened because some of us wanted to change the self regulating law of cause, effect and consequence which is what keeps the balance of all life expression in the cosmos or inside Source

If you can imagine, it is as if the T-cells in you body decide to hijacked all the nutrition from the red cells, sooner rather than later the whole organism will die and so to keep it alive the body hijackes another body and steals all its red cells. Eventually though it will die anyway of other malfuntions and complications

So service to self is the kid that wants it all, wants it now and does not care whether they are trespassing other peoples boundaries or killing others to get what they want. In our worlds this happens because they have destroyed their "red cells" by separating themselves from the order of the universe and are attemting to create their "New Order" by tampering with creation and the cosmic laws. Or to continue with the example of the kid, he trashed his toy, he demands a new one, the parents said no so the kid goes and steals it from someone else. One day the kid will be caught and pay for the consequences

They will not succed at the end because Source knows how to take care of itself, and to know that is a great joy

Love

Last edited by Stardustaquarion; 02-27-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

One of the major barriers to non-duality is the assumption that there is a this causing a that.
It is my understanding that the way the Creator set it up it is on going evolution/creation and self regulating.
There are consequences for every action but the action does not cause a specific reaction.
For example the marigold seed has the potential to develop in to a flower.
It needs the environment of water earth sunlight to develop its full potential but the environment while necessary does not cause it to blossom into a full flower.

Service to "others" will not cause them to give service to you but may help to set up an environment for their spiritual growth. their spiritual growth is also your spiritual growth and so on.

Chris
Namaste
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
Frank Samuel
Project Avalon Moderator

Talking Re: Service 2 Others = Service 2 Self

Service to self and service to others go hand in hand. these two are complementary . As we grow from being a baby that does not want to share his or her toys. There's a growth period involve in our natural process of emotional maturity.
Formation stage , growth stage , the mature stage. Each one of us goes through stages it does not imply that one is good and the other evil. Is just that if we don't transcend we begin to hurt others because our hearts are limited and cannot cope, so emotional disorders , depression, anxiety, feelings of hate and blaming others. Hence you see a real expression of that in this 3 dimensional existence. War , hunger, self destruction, Brilliant Minds with poor emotional composure unable to cope with surroundings and self. As our Heart growths it enables the rest of our body to be in balance. So love for self is reflected through our love for others. No difference is one and the same.

Blessings to all.
Frank Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

always do what feels right to you.;p

i live by right action...

Right action leads to positive living.

Wrong action leads to negative living.

Simple truths are always the most useful...

As for service..

well my position is probably not a common one..

service is essential to growth..

and there is no service to self or to others...

i serve in beauty light and love...ALL my actions must reflect this, if not i am out of balance....

i am not sure it makes senses to others here or not.
Céline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
Harper
Avalon Senior Member

I can't tell you how much I dislike this divisive polarisation that is bandied about. You are either in service to self (and you are in evil camp) or you are in service to others (and you are up there with jesus).

Its so much nonsense, all generosity is selfish at its core and it doesnt matter, there are as many helpers as there are victims and they are totally dependant on each other, two sides of the same coin.

Who is anyone to claim they have the answer for another. Priests have nothing to do without sinners hehehehe.

And a white feather just landed on my window sill so I will desist now.

I know its not a popular way of seeing but it is only when you can see you are everything all at once, the helper and the victim that anyone can ever step out of the dark.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #23
hollylindin
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
I can't tell you how much I dislike this divisive polarisation that is bandied about. You are either in service to self (and you are in evil camp) or you are in service to others (and you are up there with jesus).

Its so much nonsense, all generosity is selfish at its core and it doesnt matter, there are as many helpers as there are victims and they are totally dependant on each other, two sides of the same coin.

Who is anyone to claim they have the answer for another. Priests have nothing to do without sinners hehehehe.

And a white feather just landed on my window sill so I will desist now.

I know its not a popular way of seeing but it is only when you can see you are everything all at once, the helper and the victim that anyone can ever step out of the dark.
Forget popularity! We're talking TRUTH here, Harper!

I totally agree - we are both of these polarities. There really is no one or the other. Even those who seem to be entirely service-to-self has SOMETHING in their life that brings out their loving, generous side - just as someone who seems to be entirely service-to-others has something in their life that causes them to act in a self-centred or "selfish" way. We aren't just pieces of paper with status to fill in - we are three-dimensional (I'm talking physical here - not the obvious many other dimensions we fill in the aetheric! ) beings with ups and downs and in-betweens!

Thanks for your comment, Harper; I really resonated with it! <3
hollylindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Its great to see a thread where everyone is in harmonious agreement.
Thats selfless service.
The action of non-action.
The ultimate prayer is.
"How may I be of service to you beloved God"
Chris
Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #25
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

I'd say "lead by example..." So actually sorting yourself out is more important than others... Their may be a time when being sorted may be the ultimate help for others... helping others is something I try and include in my everyday practice of life... whether they want our help is another matter
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote