Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Toddler, 2, beaten in prison

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_i...4245611C238801

Horror stories are emerging from Chikurubi Maximum Security prison in Zimbabwe where at least 16 human rights activists are being held.

In a shocking revelation, activists report the youngest prisoner, Nigel Mupfuranhehwe, a two-year-old - who was abducted with his parents Violet Mupfuranhehwe and Collen Mutamagau - was beaten by security agents and needed medical attention.

The lawyers of Jestina Mukoko, the director of the Zimbabwe Peace Project (ZPP), have also called for a toxicology report for fear the Zimbabwe government is poisoning her.

Mukoko is being force-fed drugs by the army doctor who oversaw her torture.

She is accused of recruiting personnel for military training in Botswana with a view to unseating the government.

Also in solitary confinement at Chikurubi are at least 18 other accused.

Beatrice Mtetwa, the director of Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights, said the medication Mukoko is taking for anxiety and insomnia has been prescribed by an army doctor who facilitated the torture she has undergone.

She was taken on December 3 at gunpoint from her home in Norton.

Mtetwa said: "Mukoko is traumatised. It is not certain she has told the full story because every time she speaks to a doctor or lawyer, a state official is present."

In papers filed in court on Tuesday, Mukoko said she was the victim of an unlawful kidnapping and demanded that her "kidnappers" be prosecuted. She said she was blindfolded each time she was driven from place to place.

She was oblivious to where she was for 19 days.

After denying having trained or recruited for banditry and for working for the opposition Movement for Democratic Change, she was assaulted, the court papers stated.

"At first, I was assaulted under my feet with a rubber-like object while seated on the floor. I was asked to raise my feet on a table and the other people in the room started to assault me and that lasted at least five minutes. They took a break and continued the beatings after a few hours. They were all visibly drunk."

Mukoko said she was ordered "to pull up my clothes and kneel on the gravel. The interrogation continued while (I was) on the gravel".

Mukoko said for the first 10 days she was not allowed to take medication for an allergic condition she has.

A Dr Chigumira examined her.

He said he was shocked by her condition. "I was later given medication," she said.

In a startling affidavit on Tuesday, the minister of state security admitted Mukoko was "kidnapped" by state security agents.

Responding to an urgent high court application last week, Didymus Mutasa admitted in an affidavit that state security agents undertook investigations, which are still ongoing, into the allegations against Mukoko and others.

Mutasa said allegations present a threat to national security, "which, if left unchecked, could result in consequences too ghastly to contemplate".

Mtetwa said yesterday: "There is no question that the state has no right to keep people in detention after an arrest has been made even though the state has admitted that these were kidnappings and they were investigating them criminally - they are not being investigated.

"The judge (Judge Alphius Chitakunye) in the high court was too chicken to ask the police who brought these people to them. He hides behind the minister of state security's statement that they cannot disclose the identity of their abductors.

"The judge is saying the high court will not intervene. It is worse than apartheid South Africa."

Chitakunye granted leave for Mukoko to be taken to the Avenues Clinic in Harare to be examined for signs of torture. But any treatment should be administered in prison.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Egg
Banned

Default Re: Toddler, 2, beaten in prison

Hidden agenda at work here in Zimbabwe I fear. What it is I have no idea, but it bears all the hall marks of a cladestine effort against the people by powers behind the throne so to speak.

Disturbing lack of 'give a damn' being displayed - just like sudan and dhofar.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote