Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Merkhava
Avalon Senior Member

Post Improving Your Gas Mileage

I thought I would start a thread for folks to post thier ideas for cheap common sense ways to improve gas mileage.

No unproven theories and wild opinions please. If you have actually done something and have experienced good results that others may repoduce, then please share. Please give practical details.

I'll go first.....

I drive a 4WD 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche.

With my tires set at 32 psi of air pressure my typical gas mileage based on my truck's onboard computer is 16.2 mpg.

I raised the tire pressure to 40 psi. My mileage after using a full tank of gas increased to 18.1 mpg.

That is an increase of 11.7%.

Regards,
Merkhava
Merkhava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Improving Your Gas Mileage

Electrolyzer.
There are a few different ways to do this - basically, the idea is that you create hydrogen on-demand to supplement the gasoline you're already using. It burns more efficiently than gas, breaks down the gas droplets into smaller droplets and improves your gas mileage. You can make it yourself with components from Home Depot, Radio Shack, and so on. A mason jar is the container for this project, believe it or not.

How much will it improve the gas mileage? Depends on the car. And the year of the car. You see, newer cars (with computers) monitor the exhaust to adjust the fuel mixture. When you significantly clean up the exhaust (that's what hydrogen does - cleans your engine and exhaust) the computer translates that cleaner reading as the engine not getting enough gas and tries to give it more gas. Some refer to this as limp home mode. Basically, the cabal has made these devices mandatory so that if you do introduce something that will make your engine run more efficiently (burns less gas), it'll automatically make the mixture more rich (burning more gas). Bastards.

There are a handful of electronic devices that you can implement to intercept that signal and send one that is consistent with the readings your car had before you introduced a fuel saving device. It's going to vary from car to car and it is a pain in the ass.
Older cars? Perfect. Some newer cars (depending on the computer used) will learn and still give you an improvement. Too much hydrogen production, however, will put you right back into that situation of burning more gas than you should. It's all about trial and error.

The water4gas design isn't so terrific. The plexiglass tower tends to warp with the heat. I've recently been using a different design using all-thread and stainless washers. You can drop $1500 or more on a really high-speed set up, or make one yourself for less than $20. Well, add some gas cost to that - lot of running around.

I just put this new design on my F150 and went from 12 mpg to 15.5 mpg. Modest improvement, but every little bit helps. My wife's car went from 23 mpg to 35 mpg, but then the computer started mucking things up and I'm still tweaking it. A fuel pre-heater is helpful too. It's nothing more than a series of copper fittings - simply re-route the gas line through these fittings, strap it to the radiator hose, and you've just preheated your gas for more efficient combustion

Peace.
recallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
unlimited mind
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Improving Your Gas Mileage

you can start at the pump.

1. pump the gas very slow, if you can smell it, you are losing money. gas is a vapor!

2. gas is heavier when it is cold, so best to get gas when it is late in the evening or early in the morning.

3. try to refuel before tank is below half.

4. never refuel when a tanker is delivering the fuel to the stores.

i have also heard that every car is designed to operate half gas, half grain alcohol. so having an apple tree and a 'still' wouldn't be a bad idea. that's how the farmers still do it where i grew up.

thanks for the heads up on adding more air pressure to the tires.
unlimited mind is offline   Reply With Quote