Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
UncaRay
Avalon Senior Member

Talking The Grand Strategy

I think the best strategy for a mass movement that will solve most of our worst problems the quickest must be plain as day.

We have to re-localize.

Just as Cuba had to do when Russia collapsed and they could no longer use petroleum based industrial agriculture to grow food, we have to turn our lawns into organic gardens.

Every tomato we grow ourselves is a tomato that doesn't get grown with pesticides and isn't shipped cross continent in diesel trucks. If we grow it organically we use naturally available fertilizers to maintain the soil's productivity indefinitely. No need for petroleum based fuels, fertilizers, or pesticides.

For each of us this means we must learn to produce our own needs from resources and skills available within a few minutes drive.

One tremendous weapon we have in our favor is the Internet.

I would expect this forum to be hot bed of re-localization activities.
UncaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
bluestix
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Grand Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaRay View Post

The Internet will probably only be on for another ~2 weeks so make the most of it.

The majority of Internet traffic flows through the US and once Martial Law is declared it will probably be the first thing to get turned off.
bluestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
FrostyMcunicron
Avalon Senior Member

Location: a box in the inner city w. a slight chance of suburbia New Jersey

ahh good point, perhaps having a spot to meet up with fellow passionate citizens when that happens to voice your opinions would be productive.. & I will make the most of this two weeks thank you very much!
FrostyMcunicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
idunno
Avalon Senior Member

Boney M : By The Rivers of Babylon
idunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
idunno
Avalon Senior Member

Hi!
....btw..can i channnge this background?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
idunno
Avalon Senior Member

k.

choosy as mynthy

Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: The Grand Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
nigel2285
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
good song!! i dont get are you going to jump on a boat and sail away?
nigel2285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
idunno
Avalon Senior Member

may it be...so
be..
Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Zenbuoy
Retired Avalon Member

Arrow Re: The Grand Strategy

written below seems to be one of the few things we can control to some extent

be well!
Zenbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
peacelovinman
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaRay View Post
I think the best strategy for a mass movement that will solve most of our worst problems the quickest must be plain as day.

We have to re-localize.

Just as Cuba had to do when Russia collapsed and they could no longer use petroleum based industrial agriculture to grow food, we have to turn our lawns into organic gardens.

Every tomato we grow ourselves is a tomato that doesn't get grown with pesticides and isn't shipped cross continent in diesel trucks. If we grow it organically we use naturally available fertilizers to maintain the soil's productivity indefinitely. No need for petroleum based fuels, fertilizers, or pesticides.

For each of us this means we must learn to produce our own needs from resources and skills available within a few minutes drive.

I would expect this forum to be hot bed of re-localization activities.
Agreed. Those that choose to stay in our current communities need to start making friends and forming local communities.
peacelovinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
UncaRay
Avalon Senior Member

I acknowledge the fragility and unsustainability of the technological infrastructure, which means that the Internet could disappear at any time. For that reason it's a mistake to become fully dependent on it and place all your eggs in one basket.

At the same time it represents the most efficient organizational medium ever invented, and we need to put together our new resilient communities FAST. If it's martial and a total wipeout of the Internet in two weeks the yeah, we're dicked.

On the other hand the Internet represents the most efficient way of doing business and disseminating information. I think heroic measures will be taken to maintain it. We may have it to take advantage of for years to come. True resilient communities could set up their own server nodes, serving the local area and connected to the larger net when available.

Here's what I suggest right away. There is a community forming website called ning.com I have used it to set up a community called "Cosby Co-op" (I live in Cosby Tn.) The purpose is to find, if I can, everybody in the Cosby area who is online and get them to sign up with the community as a central place to share information and post offers of business. There will be a ride share section, a work share section, free classifieds, links to local gardening experts and seed sources, and so on. The idea is to launch a locally based "informal economy" and use it to encourage local production of food and necessary supplies. Of course anyone anywhere can do the same for their community as well using ning or some similar website.
UncaRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economic collapse, food security, re-localization