Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
SynchrOMicity
Avalon Senior Member

Location: S.KY Foothills of the smokey's on a big lake,110 miles from any major city in a vortex
Thumbs up Solar or wind any Questions tech. best buys.

Anyone interested in solar or windmills willing to share information best deal etc. Just ask!
SynchrOMicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
BarryC
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Solar or wind any Questions tech. best buys.

I'm just in the process of setting up portable solar panels to charge 'essential' electronics - which for me is two way radios, notebook PC, Internet capable PDA, and lights.

I've been going to SiliconSolar.com
i.e. SKU: 9358 Product: 12v Solar Battery Charger 7W for $59US.
So far so good.
Anyone with better deals?
BarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
historycircus

What is the cheapest price you can quote, to run ten households on 200 amp service for two hours a day each?

For those reading between the lines, that is communications and clean laundry - for only two hours a day.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
SynchrOMicity
Avalon Senior Member

Location: S.KY Foothills of the smokey's on a big lake,110 miles from any major city in a vortex
Thumbs up Re: Solar or wind any Questions tech. best buys.

Barry,The best deals I have been able to find is www.sunelec.com, SUN ELECTRIC in miami and they sell on e-bay also with shippng! I also have much information on installing etc. Also on wind!! if u need diagrams or help send me a note . Peace

History circus, I dont sell the stuff but I can get the deals and tech. stuff contact me of thread and we will talk. Good luck! And yes between the lines!
SynchrOMicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
OceanWinds

if you can learn, then wind is the way to go. Its cheap for materials compared to solar, if you build your own wind gens. I can build a 50w wind gen in about an hour with readily available materials form home depot for around a hundred bucks.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
BarryC
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynchrOMicity View Post
..The best deals I have been able to find is www.sunelec.com..
Thanks very much for that Synch. I'm starting modestly but I do now at least have the ability to generate some emergency power off grid. Approx. $400 / 100 Watt seems to be a rough price rule of thumb.

I'm working now on getting batteries.
BarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #7
RASE
Avalon Senior Member

Default Free Batteries. Free solar panels.

Batteries for storage are found in golf carts and forklifts. These items often go to the dump before they're really dead. Call the golf courses and rental agencies.

Check suppliers to road workers. Those flashy panel things that direct traffic are solar powered and are often hit by cars and go to the dump. If you let them know what you need them for, they might let you have some. The panels are up high and the cars hit low, so the panels are frequently recoverable, but since it's only tax dollars, they find it easier to just throw it away and buy new.
RASE is offline   Reply With Quote