Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
no caste

Default Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOK View Post
Someone call the bouncer...that guy in the corner
look pretty suspicious

Hi Brook - No offense, please, but the story of Ted Kaczynski (the original Unibomber) is of interest to me. I'm sorry to be the obnoxious drunk in this lounge - and here I go.

Theodore John Kaczynski, b. May 22, 1942

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142008...ted_554228.htm

'While he was studying at Harvard University, he participated in numerous psychological experiments. His professor, Dr. Henry Murray, had worked for the Office of Strategic Services during the second World War and subjected his students to the same tests that the agency used to assess the abilities of recruits. Although the full details of the experimentation is not known, it appeared to focus on studying behavior under stressful conditions.

'In 1962, Ted graduated from Harvard with his degree in mathematics. He moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he received a master's and Ph.D. in mathematics at the local university. After finishing school, he began doing full time research in the area of complex analysis, specializing in geometric function theory. In 1967, he received an award for his dissertation paper, which was considered the best one at the school that year.'
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/article.php?id=232

I'm actually curious about his story. I don't care for his tactics, but by then he was broken. I wonder what he knew, and I've been meaning to research.

'Ted continued to mail out bombs, causing the first serious injury in 1985. That year, he sent a bomb to Berkley graduate John Hauser, who lost four fingers and one eye from the explosion. That same year, a computer store owner was killed by a bomb loaded with nails that was lying in his parking lot. In 1987, another computer store in Salt Lake City, Utah was sent a bomb by Ted.

'After the 1987 bomb, Ted took some time off for unknown reasons. In 1993, he resumed by mailing a bomb to David Gelernter, a computer science professor at Yale University. He sent another bomb that year to Charles Epstein, a well known geneticist, and mailed a letter to the New York Times stating that he was the leader of an anarchy club responsible for the bombings.

'In 1994, Ted mailed a bomb to an advertising executive who was killed by the explosion. He justified the killing by stating that advertising executives were responsible for brainwashing people. In 1995, he mailed another fatal bomb to Gilbert Murray, the president of the California Forestry Association.

'At the trial, Ted's lawyers tried to claim that he was innocent by reason of insanity, but ultimately failed. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, but also declared competent for trial and he plead guilty on January 22, 1998 to avoid the sentence of death. Ted later attempted to retract his plea, but his appeal was denied and he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He is currently serving that sentence at the Federal ADX Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado.'

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Kaczynski

'Kaczynski sent a letter to The New York Times on April 24, 1995 and promised "to desist from terrorism" if The New York Times or The Washington Post published his manifesto. In his Industrial Society and Its Future (also called the "Unabomber Manifesto"), he argued that his bombings were extreme but necessary to attract attention to the erosion of human freedom necessitated by modern technologies requiring large-scale organization.

'He attended grades five through eight at Evergreen Park Central school.[2] As a result of testing conducted in the fifth grade which determined he had an intelligence quotient of 167,[3] he was allowed to skip the sixth grade and enroll in the seventh grade. Kaczynski described this as a pivotal event in his life. He recalled not fitting in with the older children and being subjected to their verbal abuse and teasing. As a child, Kaczynski had a fear of people and buildings, and played beside other children rather than interacting with them. His mother was so worried by his poor social development that she considered entering him in a study for autistic children led by Bruno Bettelheim.[2]'

Barack Obama is not on this one to date. Now it's to the ladies room I go. Just call it an irrational outburst.