Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
SteveX
Avalon Senior Member

Default apocalyptic thinking is catching on

Just came across this artical .....lots of preppers about now.

http://www.disclose.tv/frameset.php?...yptic-disaster
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
joe2288
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow Re: apocalyptic thinking is catching on

Might be a good thing. The current system we live in is not going to be able

to sustain itself and will eventually collapse. If more people are in this survivalist

mind state, they might be better off.
joe2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: apocalyptic thinking is catching on

Joe brings up a good point.

Its a two sided coin as always. There is nothing wrong in preparing a way to sustain you and others. Those of us within the industrialized western structure are made to believe that the system is best when it comes to safety. The more people who look at that claim with research and reason will understand that might not be the case.

Now as far as the whole survivor mentality goes, you must also use some reason. Its more then just stocking material goods. Its a very good way to understand how we in western civilization think also. Do we react more then we imagine? How far can we go in preparation without understanding that it might be a good starting ground for innovation.

it does bring up and interesting way of looking at this reaction type thinking and figure out how to turn it into something more.

peace
Firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
xbusymom
Avalon Senior Member

true... and the article mentions "prepping is not taboo" so maybe this switch of terminology (from the dis-allowed "survivalist/extremist" to the allowed PREPPER) is the way to go...
xbusymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Prepping does not have to be fear based. To those that have an idea of how things will play out, and have an idea of the mode in which they are able to work in that environment will prepare.

The spectrum of different approaches is very wide: from the transcendent (who don't have to do a whole lot, except perhaps think properly) to the hard-core survivalists who are ready for anything that the 3D world can throw at them.

My own take is that it is worth considering your response and preparation for social upheavals and inconveniences. It cannot hurt. However, doing it out of fear does hurt and will probably just make things worse.

Here is something I wrote over a year ago. I like to think that it is as relevant today as it was then.

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1859

No matter which your approach, doing nothing is IMHO, not an option.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 02-15-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with Anchor, prepping can be done with a objective attitude

When I was a child I was living in Peru and there was a military cue, we were gratefull that there was stock of food in the house as we could not go out for a couple of weeks. Same when I was in Venezuela in the 80's and they had the riots, if I had not have at home 15 days food my kids will have struggled

We have to admit that not all is hunky dory these days and having some essential stuff may be a sensible thing like with the snow storms

I would not go mad myself but I keep rice and beans which last forever and cost little, water filter with spare cartridges, coloidal silver, duck tape and that is about it

Love
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardustaquarion View Post
, duck tape
The mind boggles !

I think it's also worth considering why one is preparing.. or what for.

If it is survival just for you... then we're kind of adding to the problem that exists in the world anyway... ME ME ME ME meeeee ME ME ME....

Survival of the self = survival of the ego.. which does not want to go anywhere, quietly.

however, if you're thinking about how you can be prepared to save anyone that needs it when the time comes...good for you....

Peace n love,

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

for me being prepared is just common sence, a fully stocked larder, means to clean water, knowledge about plants and wilderness living. if anything by being somewhat preped it has allowed me to reach a different way of living, especially passing on the knowledge to my children (they have been bought up to enjoy the outdoors and love camping). that and due to buying bulk from infinity foods it has helped me to budget aswell

but i think that most of all a positive mental attitude, and good physical fitness is the most important.

it is good to know that if something happens, one can adapt and work with it as much as poss, or at least give it a jolly good go

love m x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
SteveX
Avalon Senior Member

For me, in Blighty, away from the usual occurring natural disasters I can afford to take a more laid back approach.

In a year I may prepare for an EMP type event from solar flairs but then again I may go all out... crust shift 2012. I think the least I should prepare for is a month or so of no electricity...which I'll prolly do. Tinned and none perishables along with filters and cleaning additives. We're all terrible stuff upper lips here in the UK so I wouldn't expect social upheaval. But in saying that...if the big one came...you can bet your lily white there will be.

That on the other hand would give my leadership abilities the challenge to cast out the old ways and work on a more confined self-government... free from bureaucracy and paper money.... should I survive

Last edited by SteveX; 02-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
voltus
Avalon Senior Member

time will tell
voltus is offline   Reply With Quote