Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
theochennell
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern England UK
Posts: 58
Default Think Before Posting?

I think the great advantage of a site like this is the opportunity to be able pass on information, useful links and advice to others, in order to help them collect their own information and make up their own minds about preparations for the future. Also to have the opportunity to be able receive the same kind of information yourself.

I think its great and right that people meet and greet, but surely when there are endless paragraphs of waffle or ranting (sometimes badly written) or the repeating of information already given in links, it just takes up valuable space and actually helps no-one. It also makes reading and understanding it very it hard work.

Most of the time we can say a lot more by using less words - don't you think? I don't want to be offensive but if we clutter up this site too much we might not see the wood for the trees!

Here endeth my rant!
theochennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Operator
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Caribbean
Posts: 375
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

Yes,

great post. Maybe also a great idea to use the search option first to see if the subject is not already covered in another thread ...

Limiting the amount of doubled info makes it easier to work with.

Cheers
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
izz
Banned
 
izz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south england
Posts: 246
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

yes but maybe people want to debate and chat a bit and have a joke .. is that all banned too ... so boring just having bland facts or bland opinions ..

we are human social creatures after all
izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
lehomonuka
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 73
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theochennell View Post
I think the great advantage of a site like this is the opportunity to be able pass on information, useful links and advice to others, in order to help them collect their own information and make up their own minds about preparations for the future. Also to have the opportunity to be able receive the same kind of information yourself.

I think its great and right that people meet and greet, but surely when there are endless paragraphs of waffle or ranting (sometimes badly written) or the repeating of information already given in links, it just takes up valuable space and actually helps no-one. It also makes reading and understanding it very it hard work.

Most of the time we can say a lot more by using less words - don't you think? I don't want to be offensive but if we clutter up this site too much we might not see the wood for the trees!

Here endeth my rant!
does that also mean adding the whole quote and or artical without citing what it is that you are quoting it is a true pain in the tush to have to re-read the whole thing over and then guess what it is that you are qouting
please,just c&p the stuff that you want to quote Not the whole artical
and that is my .02
leho
lehomonuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
theochennell
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern England UK
Posts: 58
Unhappy Re: Think Before Posting?

I wasn't intending to be dictatorial its nice to chat and exchange ideas but don't you think some people could say more with less?
theochennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Racsouran
Banned
 
Racsouran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 248
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

We need more sense of humour here wich i see it lacks big time.

In my opinion, let the people explain themselves as they can , we cannot restrict posting to a perfect mode of doing it. That much seriousness would make afraid many posters interested on sharing perspectives, no matter if their perspectives are not based on research at all, but on gut feelings and memories.

Last edited by Racsouran; 10-03-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Racsouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Operator
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Caribbean
Posts: 375
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

Hi,

I agree with most of you all ...
Let's keep it human and up to judgment of the poster to quote completely or not ... (some might not know how to limit it).

My main statement was about creating threads ...
Some topics have 2 or 3 threads going on which make discussions very difficult to follow ....

Some new threads make a discussion start all over again ...

Thanks, cheers ... (have beer or something, thank god it's Friday)
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Jenny
Project Avalon Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 496
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

Hi Operator,

we, as mods, are well aware of the fact posters do not always check first before opening a new thread on some issue.

We try to stay on top of it.
As it so happens, two threads on the same issue get attention and are posted in.
Which one to delete?



Jenny
__________________



Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator View Post


Thanks, cheers ... (have beer or something, thank god it's Friday)
FRIDAY??????

Oh damn! I thought it was still only Thursday!
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
doodah
Avalon Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 373
Default Re: Think Before Posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
We try to stay on top of it.
As it so happens, two threads on the same issue get attention and are posted in.
Which one to delete?
Can you just combine them and post a notice with the title of the one that is not being continued? And make the discontinued one non-postable?

Ex: October 7 oh my
October 7 I'm really scared

Keep October 7 oh my title and merge in the other thread's posts, but make the other one non-postable, with a new title:
October 7 I'm scared -- Now combined with October 7 oh my
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Project Avalon