Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Default Life's a "mean" thing

Ok, old stuff, yes; but with a scientific twist to it.
I didn't write it.
I didn't make it up, I just find this stuff.

[Source]

Why some shapes are more pleasing to the eye than others
The ancient Egyptian pyramids, the Parthenon of Athens, Mona Lisa’s face and the head of George Clooney all have one thing in common. Their attractiveness is said to be based on the “golden ratio”, which is supposed to be the most aesthetically pleasing shape to the human eye.
“Scanning left to right is five times faster than scanning up and down and that is largely due to the left or right eye taking over when the opposite eye gives up. When you scan vertically, it’s like having just one eye. The eyes are also arranged on a horizontal axis, which happens to fit in with the landscape,” he said.

Professor Bejan has applied a mathematically-based law he devised in 1996 to describe how designs in nature, from the flow of water in river deltas to the branching airways in a set of lungs, are geared towards ever-increasing efficiency of movement, such as the faster flow of water, air, blood or even individuals in a crowd.

Vision is also subject to increased efficiency based on the faster flow of information from the eye to the brain. And the visual scene that is easiest to scan is one where the horizontal axis is wider than the vertical, Professor Bejan said. This is true for a gazelle scanning the African horizon for predators, or early human hunter gatherers searching their territory for food.

According to the theoretical study published in the International Journal of Design and Nature and Ecodynamics, the most efficient proportions for the human eyes to scan is a rectangular shape where the horizontal is about one and a half times the vertical, which Professor Bejan said approximates to the golden ratio.

“[It] is a consequence of the fact that our perceived world is roughly a horizontal tableau. Our supply of images reflects the orientation of the landscape. Danger comes to the animal from the sides and from behind, not from above, and not from below,” Professor Bejan said.

Perceiving the world through a rectangular box has led to this particular shape becoming aesthetically pleasing and being subconsciously incorporated into works of art. It may also explain why some faces that approximate more closely than other faces are viewed as being the most attractive.
And so it all boils down to...
A recent study by scientists at the University of Toronto found that female faces were judged the most attractive if the vertical distance between the eyes and the mouth was approximately 36 per cent of the face’s length, and the horizontal distance between the eyes was approximately 46 per cent of the facial width. This was also the proportions of the average face.
So, if you will excuse me, my wife is asleep now. So I'm gonna sneak in, ruler in hand, and finally find out what makes our relationship tick.

See? this stuff ain't so hard, after all!

Fred

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote