Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #26
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Survival?=Here's something to think about!

Yeah Humble, snow is a piece of cake, it's the cold that's bad! Myself and two friends in high school decided to go to one of my dads cabins and spend the night. We couldn't drive into the cabin because the snow was too deep, so we strapped on snowshoes and walked a mile through 2 feet deep snow, got to the cabin and somebody had stolen the pot-belly stove, by that time it was dark out so instead of turning around and going home we decided to build a big fire and spend the night outside by the cabin, well big mistake!, the next morning after not sleeping at all and listening to wolves all night out in the distance we went back to the truck and it wouldn't start, so we had to walk another mile down the road to find someone to give us a jump! After being frozen solid all night and finally getting the truck started we left, and as we were leaving my brother showed up and told us it was -32 degrees last night. So the whole thing about this story is there was not a big enough fire to keep warm!, we built a fire that was 6 feet across and 6 feet high and it made no difference at all!, we could not build a big enough fire to stay warm outside at 32 degrees below zero!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #27
Sol Invictus
Banned

Hahahahaha you failed dude.

Theres a very simple native american way to build a fire and a shelter to stay warm at even those temperatures out doors.

Guess you don't know it though after reading that....
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Hey I did survive though! And remember we were teenagers more worried about keeping our beer from freezing! We actually lined up our beer bottles around the fire and they started freezing vertically, in otherwards the side by the fire was liquid and the side not facing the fire was slush!, we had to rotate them every couple of minutes!, LOL! And it was pitch black out by the time we got there, so we figured a big fire would keep us warm, NOT! My feet and hands were numb for a half a day after that!...Dumb ass kids HaHa
Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #29
Sol Invictus
Banned

Theres so many lessons in your words I just crack up reading them.

Glad you got through it though... even if you did need thawing out in the morning.

Oh and beer? base first at the edge of the fire, then you get a nice ice crown to make it bubble over as you drink.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #30
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

My son lives in Elbow Lake between Fergus & Alexandria

They got the snow and the kids are out of school so they're happy. BRRRRRRRRR is right Dan,

I'm satisfied to just "look" outside. So glad my shopping is complete.

Its still cold today but I will contribute that to the "global warming" we are going through, just ask gore about it !
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #31
Sol Invictus
Banned

Al Gore....

Global warming? then explain why mars and jupiter and the whole entire solar system is heating up.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #32
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

HaHaHa, well that will never happen again, it was a nice cabin that my dad and I built using nothing but chain saws and hammers. There was no elec. or plumbing, it was in the middle of 40 acres of pine trees miles from anybody. We used it for our hunting and snowmobiling cabin and even had a ramp going into the door so if any snowmobiles broke down we could pull them inside and work on them! It would sleep 12 people on 3 sets of double bunk beds.We used all rough cut lumber with 2 inch styrofoam in the walls for insulation, and we never locked it because being in the middle of nowhere if somebody wanted something they would just break in anyway. It was right on the edge of Indian country so you didn't just go wondering about without knowing where you're going!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #33
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

HaHa Elbow Lake!, I've done alot of snowmobiling on Elbow Lake! and the trails around it. I want to say there is a resort there called the Hoot Owl Resort on Elbow Lake, but it's been a long time! We used to ride 40 to 50 miles a day on our snowmobiles easy, I used to drive mine to high school when we had enough snow!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #34
Sol Invictus
Banned

Sounds like that was an ideal location to go chill out.

No pun intended of course.

That some one stole the stove shows that people just do not respect that their actions could of killed some one.

Hang all thieves.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #35
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Very beautiful state! Lakes so clear you can see 20 feet down! My dad went out to the cabin the next weekend and all he could say to me was "you sure made a mess building that fire outside the cabin" I thought holy s...t we were trying to survive damn it!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #36
Sol Invictus
Banned

Typical Dads way of saying he cares in a macho kind of way.

Still though, you should of cleared up your mess dammit!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #37
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

HaHa I would've cleaned up but I was frozen solid! and couldn't even feel my hands or feet!, Ha then when we got back to the truck and it wouldn't start we ended up building a fire under the engine to try and warm it up so it would start, and when that didn't work we walked a mile down the road to this farmers house to get him to give us a jump because the battery was dead! I'll never forget that farmer, he had a dog that would smile, it was a huge dog and the guy would say "smile" and the dog would stretch his mouth back to look like a smile! LOL!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #38
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

sweet!! Im glad im not having to enjoy all the snow by myself!!! lol

its been falling and falling.....

and i think the snow plows have decided its just not worth it,...

the last plow i saw was at like 6 am,.....

and it hasnt stopped snowing. haha

Orion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #39
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

You guys have my sympathies. We are having a fairly hot summer and expected to get hotter. Wish i could send some heat your way so we could have temperate weather all round.
Take care and stay warm.
Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote