Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
JohnWdoe
Avalon Senior Member

Default The Canadian Election

As of right now the Conservatives have a 30 seat lead over the Liberals and i couldn't be more disappointed. Stephen Harper spent 300 million dollars to call this election and for good cause - pay to win.

*shakes head* i wonder about this carbon tax and how it effected the Liberal turn out i never agreed to that tax but would rather deal with that then Harper.

What a lousy choice in all honesty... NDP has a nice share of seats but then again its just splitting the votes to thin and allowing the Conservatives to win, i always told people a vote for NDP is a vote for Conservatives even if the ideology is much separate.

This really sucks honestly.
JohnWdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
JesterTerrestrial
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Canadian Election

oh man...you got me thinking about the feds...then,

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
JesterTerrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
Soul Sequence
Avalon Senior Member

I completely agree with you, John. But from all my research, Harper was bound to continue on as he has been as to continue what the "so called elite" has in store with us. It's no secret that Harper has plenty of connections and IMO, elections arent for the people, they provide the distraction to lead us to believe we actually have a say. I don't believe in reality, that he won. IMO and regardless who the "elite" put in office, they'll soon all crumble. Tis 2008, only four more years to watch as they all come tumbling down.

Regards and Blessings,
Soul Sequence
Soul Sequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

As of 7:30 pst:

CON
LIB
BQ
NDP
IND
GRN
OTH

How big of a lead does it take to win a majority?
Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

50%+

it's the #of seats out of the 308

155 seats out of the 308. I am praying for a minority here. That is why this whole thing was pulled -- *Harper couldn't stand his lack of power... they've gained seats, but not enough so far. I still am livid how apathetic my fellow Canadians are.

* even though the government was "dysfunctional"... it had checks and balances.

[EDIT]
as of 8:53pm MT, PC minority gov't called (a bit stronger than what Stephen "George W" Harper had)

~ 37% of the electoral vote for PCs, sigh... you see that and media propaganda "Canadians have re-elected Stephen Harper's Conservatives" ... ya a MINORITY of Canadians want Harper and his cronies. Sorry... this stuff gets to me.

** ALL CANADIANS, be prepared for BILL C51 to come back !! www.stopbillc51.ca under a different name **

Last edited by John aka#404; 10-15-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: adding stats as I find them
John aka#404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
OceanWinds

you need 155 seats... the problem being that Canada does not have equal representation by population. Instead its done by seats... so even if a conservative has 21% of the local vote, and its the highest amount... they win. Thankfully it looks like they will have a minority government.

It chokes me a bit because the vast majority of Canadians are voting in favor of the left wing, but the right wing will have control. Pretty soon Canada will have a two party system just like the states if this keeps up.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
uniconr
Avalon Senior Member

155 for a majority.. on the bright side if the ndp take bc it will be the best weve ever done!
uniconr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
OceanWinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by John aka#404 View Post
it's not the lead... it's the #of seats out of the 308 (need 50%+).

155 seats out of the 308. I am praying for a minority here. That is why this whole thing was pulled -- *Harper couldn't stand his lack of power... they've gained seats, but not enough so far. I still am livid how apathetic my fellow Canadians are.

I agree... I saw larger numbers in the news paper polls for the left side than what I am seeing now. Maybe if it was rep by pop more people would vote...?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Party Elected Leading Total
117 28 145 cons
59 17 76 lib
40 10 50 block pq
23 11 34 green
1 1 2 ind
0 0 0
Seats in Parliament: 308

go to: http://www.ctv.ca/mini/election2008/...onResults.html
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 AM   #10
JohnWdoe
Avalon Senior Member

Thankfully the Conservatives did not reach 155!! this is the second time they have scared me with trying to obtain a majority.

So many adds on the television's were just praising Harper and i cant count how many children he has been holding (kind of a low blow) but its all tactics for his campaign anyways.

Argh!! I never liked this called election thank GOD it never made it. Now we need to spot the bickering and get to work on helping our brothers in America.

This deserves a glass of whine, i shall go grab some.

Cheers
JohnWdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #11
OceanWinds

i will join you! bottoms up
Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #12
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWdoe View Post
Now we need to spot the bickering and get to work on helping our brothers in America.

Agreed John. Let's use this place to keep each other informed on the next steps.

-the other John aka#404

John aka#404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Good news I'm glad Mr.George W Harper never got his majority.
Wine is a great idea for celebration friend!

Cheers
Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

HAIL HARPER
Old 10-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #15
uniconr
Avalon Senior Member

harper for president
he said it two years ago and he said it again wednesday night, albeit at the last second while backing away from the microphone.
'god bless canada'
Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
RSF
Avalon Senior Member

Agreed JohnWdoe.
And, Seems to me the only value to be shown towards Canadians through the Federal electorate is through a Minority Government. Though the Libs have usually concurred with Conservatives prior to this election, I think changes are about to come at the top for it and their poor performance this election.

Harper -- well?, he's in for awhile longer. Perhap's just awhile -- time will tell.
Dunno, Bo Rae did a bunch of good things as Premier of Ontario a bunch of years ago. He certainly cares about Canadians, but the financial costs are compelling.

RSF
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
uniconr
Avalon Senior Member

lowest voter turnout ever. and parliament is more disproportionately skewed than it was already. talk to your mps about electoral reform!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #18
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

Its so cool that you all get to vote over which party is going to be inserting their metaphorical c**k up ur asses,
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:41 AM   #19
lilac
Avalon Senior Member

a low turnout of voters to elect another minority government and waste a whole bunch of time and money. duh. I loved the expression I heard on CBC yesterday: voter fatigue....yawn. I spent a good part of yesterday feeling bummed about how much work we have ahead of us to try and wake people up. Maybe George W Harper will help speed things along. And MAYBE it gives us an opportunity to find a vibrant new LIberal leader before we get called back to the polls. I must say, I was worried that his pal George might have taught our PM how to cheat.
lilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #20
Morgan
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2infinityandbeyond View Post
Its so cool that you all get to vote over which party is going to be inserting their metaphorical c**k up ur asses,

-------

What a total waste that (election) was. Dion's basically toast, Harper will continue on as usual, Layton will no doubt keep his backbone but have no choice but to throw his hands up in the air because all his opposition will do naught - the Liberals will keep propping up the minority gov't.

All I can say is that I'm happy C-51/C-52 (I assume C-52!) got scrapped and will have to be reintroduced right from the start. I hope they drag their feet because I'm tired of trying to get bills defeated atm...

If only Americans could do their campaigning and elections in 6 weeks flat. Can we say American campaigning fatigue?
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #21
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Someone should remind Harper that "Amateur Hour" is nearly over.

He should enjoy his power while it lasts because it won't last
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #22
Starlah
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: The Canadian Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by John aka#404 View Post
50%+

it's the #of seats out of the 308

[EDIT]
as of 8:53pm MT, PC minority gov't called (a bit stronger than what Stephen "George W" Harper had)

~ 37% of the electoral vote for PCs, sigh... you see that and media propaganda "Canadians have re-elected Stephen Harper's Conservatives" ... ya a MINORITY of Canadians want Harper and his cronies. Sorry... this stuff gets to me.

** ALL CANADIANS, be prepared for BILL C51 to come back !! www.stopbillc51.ca under a different name **

Hi John,

I am very disappointed too about this election...I'm especially disappointed in British Columbians...so much so that I feel like moving out of British Columbia and going back to the Yukon.
It was a bad time to hold an election right after Thanksgiving Day...note the voter turnout was very low almost the worst for any election.
In my riding they even put a candidate (NDP) on the ballot that had already dropped out of the race!! Think of the discarded ballots there that could have gone to the Greens or Liberals!
I truly feel disgusted by it all!
Starlah
Starlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #23
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

I may be wrong with my sources here but i think only one in four eligible voters turned up to vote.
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #24
uniconr
Avalon Senior Member

58.6%?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #25
kopenhagen
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2infinityandbeyond View Post
I may be wrong with my sources here but i think only one in four eligible voters turned up to vote.
not to mention some CAnadians are not even registered with Election !
kopenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote