Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Hendrsb33
Avalon Senior Member

Default Anyone Wanna Help Create A Comic Book?

Hello All,

My name is Shepherd Hendrix and I've just joined the Project Avalon forum. I work primarily as a graphic novelist (a fancy moniker for comic book artist). I've recently discovered Project Camelot, seen all the videos, and I'm really down with what Kerry and Bill have created. I feel as if I have something to contribute.

On one of the Project Camelot videos, someone asked, "What can I do? How can I contribute?" My feeling is that we all have talents of some kind that we can use to communicate, to teach, to learn, and do whatever needs to get done. My talent is communication through graphic narrative. I would like to create a graphic novel that addresses the crises that plague our world. I'm not talking about some testosterone-splashed work of violence and destruction. Such material, sadly, is what my chosen industry sees fit to peddle. I'd like to offer something different. I'd like to create a lasting work that informs, offers solutions, entertains, and gives hope to those who read it.

Why a glorified comic book? Well, there are a number of ways we can address our global concerns. Movies, books, public discourse, etc. Comics are my way of communicating and it's something I'm more than happy to contribute my time and efforts to. I'd like to create something that helps the world instead of hindering it.

As for plans, I don't have anything as of yet; I'm just testing the waters before making any moves. I want to be sure I have something to work with first. Specifically, I'm looking for a person (or two) with decent writing skills to collaborate on building a workable plot. I can do the art, lettering and production. I have some writing and plotting skills but I don't have deep knowledge of ufology, conspiracy, theoretical physics and am willing to defer judgment on such matters as long as it facilitates the visual storytelling process. The goal of the book would be to compel and inspire the mainstream rather than preach to the choir.

So... anyone wanna step up? You gotta be serious about wanting to do this!

If you want to learn more about me and my work, check out my online portfolio at www.shepko.com. You can also Google my name (Shepherd Hendrix) for additional info. My contact info is below.

I want to put out a product of high thought and quality. I've been practicing my craft since 1991, so I have the right stuff to make it look good... but I need help to bring it into being.

Who's with me?

--Shep
Hendrsb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone Wanna Help Create A Comic Book?

I always want to talk about things in this forum in terms of comic books. Are you familiar with Grant Morrison? Every time I log in here I feel like I'm living the Invisibles.

I would love to exercise some creative juices. I've never really worked on anything serious before, but I'd love to toss some things around... I fancy myself a bit of a writer and this would be great practice. Send me a message or something.

edit: haha I totally forgot I had even set my avatar from the invisibles... eh i'm actually pretty obsessed
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Hendrsb33... I sent you an email, and I do have an idea for an exact plot that is beneficial and has a purpose and would be simple for mainstream.

C
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Hendrsb33
Avalon Senior Member

Wow. You are my second response to the post. I just got off the phone with the first one.

First of all, thanks for responding. I don't know how many people will seek me out but I'll find someway to deal with it. Hopefully it won't be an avalanche.

I've just discovered Project Camelot only a few weeks ago and I've seen just about every video. The overall impression I get is that the world is poised on the utter brink of disaster. Scary times ahead.

I'm thinking about a story that covers a wide range of topics (but not too many). It can involve an ensemble of characters, For example, there can be echoes of the X-Files featuring an investigator or investigative team (similar to Mulder and Scully). There can be another character who works in a highly secret facility (like Area 51 or Dulce Base). There can be yet another character who is in mental contact with extraterrestrials or ascended beings, more of a new age angle. And perhaps one other angle that I haven't thought of yet. In the end, what is important is that these characters eventually meet and work together, bringing yet more people into the fold. Along the way, we would address matters of changing the world paradigm in a believable way that would bring about change. Or maybe, as per information I've heard, maybe we can show the results of people choosing different outcomes; in one reality there is disaster, in another there is hope. I dunno. There are many routes and realities we can pursue.

I would say that if you have script lying around then email me an excerpt of it. If you don't, then write out a scene and send it. I would like to see examples of writing for both exposition and action. I need to see how descriptive you can be and if you have a flair for dialogue. If you need, I can probably dig up a sample script to help you along with structure. Though I don't consider myself much of a writer, understanding scriptwriting is part of my job description. I can be of assistance.

--Shep
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Hendrsb33
Avalon Senior Member

Oh man. The responses are rolling in-- got two more emails.

Any other artists out there?

--Shep
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Hendrsb33
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo888 View Post
Hey Hendrsb33... I sent you an email, and I do have an idea for an exact plot that is beneficial and has a purpose and would be simple for mainstream.

C
Bring it on, man!

If you need to see more of my stuff, I can send you a pdf.

--Shep
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Hypnotize
Avalon Senior Member

As a HUGE comic book/graphic novel fan, I just thought i'd post to say I would totally buy a copy!
Hypnotize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

I'm also going to repost my email to you in the forum.

---------
Hey Shepherd, thanks for the swift response!

I really think if you have a few dollars to spare, go look for Grant
Morrisson's "the Invisibles" - I feel like a deluded fanboy because I
keep dropping the name over and over, but you would be surprised how
similar it is to the ideas and material presented in camelot and
Avalon. When I first saw your post I was very excited, because
Morrison's comic was probably the doorway to my "awakening" or
something like that... I would be worried about ripping anything off.
Not because of my love for it, just because it is like the holy grail
of conspiracy/paranormal/alien/magic/spiritual/etc in comic book form.

However I don't think the doors are closed for us because of that,
there plenty of ways we can put an original and distinct
camelot/avalonian spin on it. But you should check it out anyway, I
highly recommend it and it may give you some inspiration. Maybe rather
than a team of anarchistic psychic warriors a la "Invisibles," We can
take the sort of Investigative Journalism take on it... perhaps Bill
and Kerry's comic personas actually start going farther down the
rabbit hole... bringing the information of their impossible adventures
to the surface and actually bringing about the disclosure of all the
ET paranormal phenomena? All the while they try to retain their
journalistic skepticism

Anyway, nice to talk to you. I'm excited to see how this pans out for
you, whether I get involved or not!

-----

Honestly! Everyone in this thread- GO OUT AND READ THE INVISIBLES. It is a walking talking project camelot in comic book form (Which ensures that anything instantly becomes more awesome.)

My beef with trying to come up with a conspiracist/paranormal/spiritual comic book is just that the Invisibles has done such a good job already, but from a specific point of view. In it, it's more of the point of view of the "Light Warriors" if you want to call them that... they're anarchistic psychic "terrorists" and their higher selves fighting against the man, big brother, the secret societies, and their astral/alien evil entities.

I feel like I am reiterating and making myself redundant - its kind of hard to explain the thing to people who haven't read it, but it's too crucial to the thread and the concept that I can't leave it out.

As far as tossing ideas around, I think using the PC experience would be a pretty good archetype for the rest of the story. We focus loosely on the "actual" camelot, and then blow the lid off of everything, Bill and Kerry's characters coming in direct contact with all of the things our whistleblowers report on. Everything immediately becomes "real." And we fall down the rabbit hole that way. It could be less of a focus on the Good vs Evil duality concept, but a slow integration through investigation of all of the fringe theories into reality, and eventually arrives somewhere non-dual, the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I also think it would be great to have continual support and influence from the PA community, in case we misrepresent anything or leave something out.
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Hendrsb33
Avalon Senior Member

Okay All!

I’m going to post my thoughts here so that everyone interested can see what I’m up to without having to email it separately to everyone. Not only that, but I’m gonna start writing my messages in Word then copy/pasting then onto the forum. I wrote a good long message earlier today then the forum “errored out” on me and I lost everything that I had written. Now I’m trying to remember everything I wrote before!

I’m getting a lot of good input from people but I have to be a little bit selfish and editorial in the interest of whittling down ideas into something coherent. Also, since I would have to spend a few months drawing the book, I want to draw something that I resonate with. It sucks to spend a lot of effort on something you don’t like. But don’t take that the wrong way, I’m open for debate and compromise.

Also, I’m noticing a few of you are seem to have artistic talent as well. You might consider drawing books too. I do directed studies for the Academy of Art in San Francisco so I’m a pretty good art coach.

So, here’s me thinking out loud…

I’m thinking along the lines of an ensemble cast of characters tackling a situation from converging perspectives. It would be an international cast from a variety of cultures. In the end, they somehow come together to address the problem. Some are self-aware, others are on the path of self-awareness. The idea is UNITY. Some of the issues I’d like to examine would be: ignorance (both positive and negative aspects), fear (and how to overcome it), self-discovery, hope, a bit of humor too. There’s room for other stuff but I’ll be keeping notes.

To stimulate further comparisons, here’s a list of movies and shows that are good examples:

CONTACT (humanity’s place in the Universe)
K-PAX (extraterrestrial or higher knowledge)
THE 4400 (tv series- time travel and genetic manipulation)
THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (high adventure and heroic figures)
APOCALYPSE NOW (journey toward ancient mysteries and human motive)
KNOWING (dire apocalyptic warning)
LORD OF THE RINGS (unity of purpose, self sacrifice, fellowship)

I’m pretty aware that I’m dominating this process but there is still much that can be done within these creative confines.

--Shep