Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Top 10 night sky events for 2009.

http://dsc.discovery.com/space/top-10/sky-events-2009/

TOP 10 NIGHT SKY EVENTS FOR 2009
Just a selection of a few of the local cosmic events during 2009-there are lots more on the link above.

The year 2009 marks the International Year of Astronomy -- when people around the world celebrate the 400th anniversary of Galileo's first use of the telescope.

From Saturn hiding its enormous rings to grand meteor showers to the longest total eclipse of the sun in the 21st century, you can bet on an exciting year in the night sky.

Leaf through Discovery Space's top 10 night sky events here, and don't forget to mark your calendar!

10. Saturn's Invisible Rings - January

Saturn's rings are now tipped at their minimum angle -- nearly edge-on -- this month.

Because you won't see them this razor thin for another 30 years, now is a great time to not see the rings of Saturn.

The gas giant can be seen with unaided eyes, but you'll need a telescope to view the rings, such as they are.
Feb. 23-24

9. Comet Lulin at its Best - Feb. 23-24

A comet found in 2007 at the Lulin Observatory in China could be easily visible in late February, astronomers think.

Although Comet Lulin isn't expected to be a bright naked-eye object, it should be decent in binoculars. On Feb. 23 it passes just below Saturn (the two will be in the same binocular field). The following night, Lulin steers closest to Earth and will be at its brightest.

If you're looking for more comets in March and April, Comet Cardinal may also be bright enough to see with binoculars.

TOP 10 NIGHT SKY EVENTS FOR 2009: Feb. 27

8. Moon Near Venus - Feb. 27

Here's a sight that is sure to please: the crescent moon sitting close to the brightest planet in the sky.

This is probably the best moon-planet conjunction of the year. On Friday, Feb. 27, the waxing moon sits just three moon diameters away from Venus for a beautiful pairing in the evening sky.

Enjoy it with unaided eyes, binoculars or a telescope at low power.

TOP 10 NIGHT SKY EVENTS FOR 2009: April 26
(my birthday,lol):

5. Mercury Joins the Moon - April 26

Here's an event most people would miss, but for avid stargazers, spring always brings the best time for finding Mercury in the evening sky.

On April 26, just as Mercury reaches its greatest angle away from the sun -- and its peak visibility -- the waxing crescent moon joins the scene.

Look for the thin moon just above Mercury, as the two worlds flank the Pleiades star cluster. The grouping should be visible to unaided eyes, but use binoculars for the best view.

3. Total Eclipse of the Sun - July 22

Nothing compares to the sight of the moon covering the sun during a total eclipse. You'll have to travel halfway around the world to see this event, but the view will definitely be worth it!

This year's total solar eclipse traces only a narrow path across Asia and the South Pacific, but holds the distinction of having the longest totality (when the moon fully blocks the sun) of any total eclipse of the 21st century.

Adventurous eclipse chasers will be able to watch a whopping 6 minutes and 39 seconds of totality.

1. Leonid Meteor Shower - Nov. 17

Word is getting around that we might see an unusual outburst of the annual Leonid meteor shower this year. Normally a pretty mild and sparse shower, the Leonids are known for spectacular outbursts every 33 years or so.

From1998 to 2001, the world was treated to several superb Leonid displays as Earth passed through denser parts of the dust streams left by Comet Tempel-Tuttle. These were the first times astronomers had been able to accurately predict such outbursts, and new predictions now suggest another good display on Nov. 17, 2009.

However, the timing is such that Asia is favored -- in North America only the west may see much meteor activity, though only in the pre-dawn hours.

Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Top 10 night sky events for 2009.

Coooool !!!, now all I need is a telescope! LOL!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

I have a MEADE 8inch-but i need the eq. mount and goto tracking and the eq. wedge barlow lenses etc. etc. lol. Cannot afford-i have cameras that can be attached to it but unable to!!Frustrations,frustrations!!lol.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Ah man, you could take some nice pics with an 8 inch scope!, did you get snow there?
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah we had a smattering compared to the rest of the place-they've received a max. of a foot in the most extreme conditions-That's like an hour's snowfall in Canada!!lol.This country falls apart when they receive an inch-i have never runderstood this as we are in a temperate/maritime climate-one should expect snow-i remember a couple of feet of snow when i was a kid.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #6
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.spaceweather.com/

feb 23 09

micjer is offline   Reply With Quote