Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee wants ban on snooping on internet users

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle5890530.ece

The creator of the worldwide web warned today against the collection of users’ data by commercial organisations.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee said that third parties, including companies and governments, should not be allowed to snoop on the public's browsing of the internet.

He told a meeting at Westminster: “We use the internet without a thought that a third party would know what we have clicked on. But the URLs / people use reveal a huge amount about their lives, loves, hates and fears. This is extremely sensitive information.

“People use the web in a crisis, when wondering whether they have a sexually transmitted disease, or cancer, when wondering if they are homosexual and whether to talk about it,” he said.

He said that people would consider using the web at a moment of crisis in a different light if users knew that they were being monitored and the data would be shared with a third party such as an advertising agency.

“This information is very sensitive. I feel it should not be collected,” he added.

Sir Tim said that businesses would initially insist that information was being collected only for a limited purpose but he said that they would be under enormous pressure to release it. “Once it exists, it can be used by the company or by an insider.”

Sir Tim, speaking at a meeting at Westminster organised by the Liberal Democrats to discuss the commercial use of data on the internet, said: “It should not be collected in the first place.”

There have been trials monitoring of the internet use of about 30,000 people to send adverts tailored to the users’ search interests. The development of advertising based on consumers’ internet usage is alarming privacy campaigners.

Dame Wendy Hall, a professor of computer science at Southampton University, appealed to Parliament to protect internet users’ privacy.

“There are lots of good reasons why companies and government want access to our data but there are huge downsides to that,” she said. “This debate is about our digital lives. It is about who we are, what we are interested in and what is private to us.”
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee wants ban on snooping on internet users

He should as he was supposedly responsible for the birth of the WWW (unless someone beat him to the punch, etc).
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee wants ban on snooping on internet users

I thought Al Gore invented the internet? Or was it global warming? Whatever.

What about the right to privacy, and the freedom from unreasonable search and seizure? What about probable cause? I assume that every word of my phone conversations and every word I type on my computer is being analyzed and stored by a Cray supercomputer, and that when I comment on a site such as this...that a CIA, NSA, FBI, FEMA, or Homeland Security agent is duly noting and scoring my potentially threatening ideas and sentiments. Everything I say, can, and will, be used against me in a kangaroo court. Of course, this does not include Masonic, Jesuit, Opus Dei, Neo-Con, NWO, Neo-Nazi, Illuminati, Reptillian, Grey, and Luciferian surveillance. If I had a TV...they could watch me while I watch TV. The CBS(See BS) eye is always watching! And this does not include unseen entities in my house, such as the reptillians and greys in cloaked or astral form...or the disembodied spirits of really mean people who have died...and gone to my house! I also assume that my activity on YouTube is not anonymous to the PTB...that they have access to who I really am...and where I live. I believe that a Cray(or Grey?) supercomputer knows more about me than I will ever know about myself. And agents of the PTB can enter my house without warrant or consent...with, or without, me being present.

I'm writing all of this as one who has never taken illegal drugs, never even had a drink, never been arrested, never been charged with any crime(other than going 65 in a 55!), has not, and never will, own a gun...believes strongly in law and order, the U.S. Constitution(now that sets off alarms, red-flags, and gets one on several lists!)...believes in the Teachings of Jesus(this is considered to be in opposition to Christianity!), motherhood, baseball, and apple-pie.

I don't sound bitter...do I?(this last comment is considered to be an exhibition of hostility toward the status quo and duly constituted authority, and possibly indicitive of emotional instability which could potentially require institutionalization and reprogramming...possiblly with the use of drugs and restraints)...before being shackled in place on the train to the concentration/extermination camp.

And you think I'm kidding? Well, actually I am kidding! All of the above should not be taken seriously! It is for entertainment purposes only! Don't try this at home kiddies! I'm a professionally certified nut-case! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZMZ...eature=related

Seriously...there is a fine-line between responsible and irresponsible freedom. I don't mind being watched to a reasonable extent(whatever that is)...but what concerns me is that the power behind our legitimate leaders(worldwide) seems to be very evil. Frankly, being able to joke about some very serious issues should be a good sign. What you don't want are ignorant, apathetic, reactionary sheeple...who will go berzerk when confronted with difficult conditions and confusing information. They will run in the streets. I'll just keep on being a smartass! When the time comes...I'll go along with the One Nation Under Satan Old World Disorder Reptillian Theocracy.
I'll turn in my neighbors and deal with the devil. No worries!

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 03-12-2009 at 04:39 AM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote