Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Slaughter of defenseless seals

pictures, not extremely drastic
http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/121870,21,12,pokaz.html
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Bonnie
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Slaughter of defenseless seals

I know that sometime in February of this year the Humane Society sent out messages that the grey seals on the shores of Hay Island, Nova Scotia were spared from slaughter because the seal processing plants told seal hunters that they would not buy the skins of the baby grey seals. As a result, there was hope that the harp seals would be spared their lives weeks later in March. Sadly, the slaughter of harp seals started, I believe, this week. It is my understanding that these seals are primarily hunted for their fur, a non-essential luxury product that no one really needs. So, it is pretty cruel what these baby seals have to go through for something that nobody really needs. Furthermore, the amount of seals that are killed every year is depleting the seal population. The good news is that the campaign to end the killing of these baby seals is making progress because, as the Humane Society expressed, the demand for seal products is drying up. Russia even banned the hunting of baby harp seals recently.

Why the Seal Hunt is Cruel to Seals:
http://www.stopthesealhunt.com/site/...Baby_Seals.htm

Why Killing Seals is Unsustainable:
http://www.stopthesealhunt.com/site/..._seal_hunt.htm

If anybody is interested in helping to stop the seal hunt:
http://www.hsus.org/protectseals.html
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
chitty
Avalon Senior Member

Hi all. I have to weigh in on this topic. Last I heard, the seals off the east coast of Canada are over populated. It has also been stated that the demise of the cod industiry in Atlantic Canada is partially the result of this overpopulation.
I have seen video footage, ( can't remember where ), of seals indescriminately killing cod fish for fun. No guff, they were playing with them like toys and not eating them after.
Another point I'd like to make is that the seal hunt is a way of life that has been passed down for generations. It is part of the culture of these people off the east coast.
I believe I don't have a right to criticize another peoples culture.

There's my 2 cents.
chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post
Hi all. I have to weigh in on this topic. Last I heard, the seals off the east coast of Canada are over populated. It has also been stated that the demise of the cod industiry in Atlantic Canada is partially the result of this overpopulation.
I have seen video footage, ( can't remember where ), of seals indescriminately killing cod fish for fun. No guff, they were playing with them like toys and not eating them after.
Another point I'd like to make is that the seal hunt is a way of life that has been passed down for generations. It is part of the culture of these people off the east coast.
I believe I don't have a right to criticize another peoples culture.

There's my 2 cents.
i do not know if you heard that 50% of those seals are skinned while still alive. to me the method of killing is just appauling.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

what these seals go through before finally dying is inhumane and barbaric ...

we as the supposed intelligent species have in situations like this ... forgotten to think and feel with our hearts ...

where has our advancement taken us to ...

better wild than worn ...

futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Bonnie
Avalon Senior Member

Chitty, please know that I am coming from a place of love as well as compassion for you and all beings when I say that it is not about putting one's culture down , but man being aware and taking responsibility in the things they do to other sentient beings. These seals, like other animals, feel such things as pain and fear. This kind of cruelty is not just taking place in Canada, but in other parts of the world, as well.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Chitty, please know that I am coming from a place of love as well as compassion for you and all beings when I say that it is not about putting one's culture down , but man being aware and taking responsibility in the things they do to other sentient beings. These seals, like other animals, feel such things as pain and fear. This kind of cruelty is not just taking place in Canada, but in other parts of the world, as well.
bonnie, i do see where you are coming from, a point of compassion and love. however, this is not a simple matter. there may well be sealers that do not take enough care in the slaughter. maritime canada has been economically depressed for generations. the seal hunt is the employment and major income for thousands of families. it is part of newfoundland culture. women in the outposts cook and can many thousands tons of seal meat to feed their families. seal flipper pie is a traditional newfoundland dish.
the seal population is healthy and allowing it to go unchecked would endanger the eastern fishery. the decline in cod stocks is directly linked to the seal population.

most sealers are proficient killers. the club should crush the skull in one hit, which instantly kills the seal.
i don't support the seal hunt, but understand that this is a bigger issue.
there are no easy answers to the problem, but the lively hood of thousands of families, dozens of communities and a way of life also hang in the balance.
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote