Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Protecting Your Computer From Malicious Links

There are times when members post malicious links such as today to a military site which began to shut down one of the moderator's computer. We suggest folks have a router that has a built in NAT firewalls. AVG is way better than any software firewall.

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition

Note: Any member who posts a malicious link gets an automatic ban.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Post Re: Protecting Your Computer From Malicious Links

Yes Carol, i have found it to be one of the best.
I have also installed something called a free version of PeerGuardian downloaded direct from the Phoenix Labs site over the past few days and which apparently also guards against P2P, Spyware, Ads, Govt intrusions - hopefully - and is customisable.
Tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Protecting Your Computer From Malicious Links

Just buy a Mac.
Kahunamahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
googleboy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
There are times when members post malicious links such as today to a military site which began to shut down one of the moderator's computer. We suggest folks have a router that has a built in NAT firewalls. AVG is way better than any software firewall.

CAROL you must be kidding!

members CAN post malicious links without their knowledge or approval
you must have 100% sure method to investigate that before banning someone...

desc: some url can be triggered at certain IP class or execute scripts on
default ports.
script crowlers CAN take user/pass from mysql such as yours ,..and execute by person malicious post ...

software version of NAT inside of most cable modems are joke
just like most of the soft versions of protection,...

so for REAL protection you have to have HARD option, basically if you are going to be SERIOUS moderator you have to spend some 700 euros or more on such device or risk to be devastated and if misused under your nick even BANNED ))

on the AVG ...well ...it is not enough .. let the people search trough this

Patches, Updates & Service Packs

* Microsoft Update (or better get a LINUX) -- Go here using Internet Explorer or BETTER use Firefox as a all for all, IE just for regular updates.
* Patch Auditor -- Try Securia Software Inspector, KC Softwares SUMo & RadarSync

Anti-Malware

* Bots -- Try Trend MicroTM RUBotted (Beta)
* Google Pack -- Includes Norton Security Scan for viruses & worms and PC Tools Spyware Doctor (lite) for spyware, adware, trojans & keyloggers
* Intrusion Prevention and Detection -- Try PC Tools ThreatFire Free [formerly Novatix CyberHawk].
* Phishing -- Try Earthlink ToolBar or the Netcraft Toolbar.
* Rootkit -- Try Panda Anti-Rootkit
* Spyware -- Try avast! antivirus Home Edition including anti-spyware & anti-rootkit. After cleaning, use SpywareBlaster to block new spyware from loading onto your computer.
* Trojan -- Try the online TrojanScan or download a2 free or AVG Antispyware (formerly Ewido Anti-Trojan).
* Virus -- Try AVG AntiVirus, avast! 4 Home Edition, or AntiVir Personal Edition [no email scanner].
* firewall -- ZONE Alarm (boring but good one...) or Tiny firewall ... its free ...

Internet

* Ad Blocker -- For MS Internet Explorer 7, try IE7Pro. For Firefox, try Adblock Plus.
* Anonymous Surfing Service -- Try JAP or Tor
* Bad Websites -- Try McAfee SiteAdvisor, it rates millions of websites as safe, caution or warning; or HauteSecure which includes threat warnings and reputation ratings, dynamic data protection, and a community contribution function; or WOT (Web of Trust).
* Browsers -- FIREFOX or Opera,Chrome just for http at the moment, as an alternative to Internet Explorer.
* Browser Protection -- Try Sandboxie
* Content Filters -- Try OpenDNS or K9 Web Protection
* Firefox Extension -- Try NoScript to manage website javascript, Java, Flash, anti-XSS...
* Password Managers -- Try RoboForm, KeePass, Access Manager, or SignUpShield
* Wireless Hot Spot Protection -- Try AnchorFree Hot Spot Shield, AirDefense Personal Lite or WiFi Guardian.

EDIT: typo and : you might as well REMOVE that zip option from allowed attachments ....

be well
GB

Last edited by googleboy; 10-10-2008 at 01:47 PM.
googleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Thank you on behalf of the members GB. We all can benefit from your informative post.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

id like to add two free tools to the list:

- "scroogle" www.scroogle.org as a way to protect your searches from becoming government property via google

- ''anonymouse'' http://anonymouse.org/ this site offers a scraper (like scroogle) as well as anonymous email addresses and ways to post anonymously to newsgroups.
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
OceanWinds

Run Ubuntu instead of windows... and yeah get a router
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
WineHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahunamahalo View Post
Just buy a Mac.
yessssssssssssssssssss
Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #9
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Switched 6 months ago after using Microsoft since the early 90's and have not looked back. No blue screens, no hiccups, no glitches, no anti-virus software, no de-frags, no re-formats. I don't miss any of it. Liked the MacBook so well that I bought the iMac for the mrs. Windows is a failed architecture.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
zorgon

Quote:
Thank you on behalf of the members GB. We all can benefit from your informative post.
AVG free is great but it is an anti virus not a firewall...

Zone Alarm is the ONLY firewall that stops programs already on your computer from dialing OUT...

These two in combination with Hijack This is all I have ever needed to be secure... and if you go where I go that is saying something

A note about .mil sites...

Do NOT go banning people for that its NOT malicious. What happens is that when you post a direct link to a .mil file (not all but most) onto a forum... when a person views the page it automatically attempts to load the certificate which is a coy way to make you click for permission to enter while allowing them to track you.

The problem comes when someone outside the US is attempting to access some .mil sites... especially a forum...

It is always best to post a document that IS in public domain on your own space and link from there rather than hot link to a .mil site.

Also by hot linking you are sending hundreds, maybe thousands to a site that maybe had only one or two hits in months

There is also an issue that while certain areas might be in public domain within the USA, that does not mean they are meant to be sent to Iraq or China... if you catch my point

Hope that helps
Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineHippie View Post
yessssssssssssssssssss
The reason there are no viruses for Macs is because they are not important or popular enough to waste time writing viruses for

Besides Apples are for EATING not computing... Don't forget that Apple also plagued us with Quicktime and Ipods (those things are definitely draining brain cells... like the "Game" in Star Trek TNG)
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Garuda
Avalon Senior Member

Apart from Zonealarm there are other good free firewalls around.

I've used Sunbelt's Kerio Personal Firewall for a long time.

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/

It does require some tech knowledge, though, to configure it optimally.
Garuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgon View Post
The reason there are no viruses for Macs is because they are not important or popular enough to waste time writing viruses for

Besides Apples are for EATING not computing... Don't forget that Apple also plagued us with Quicktime and Ipods (those things are definitely draining brain cells... like the "Game" in Star Trek TNG)
Wow, is that the best that you could come up with? Pretty sad Zorgon.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #14
Draconis
Avalon Senior Member

I recommend Comodo or PCTools firewall, both have free versions which have exceptional blocking capabilities. I personally like PCTools better as it seems less resource-heavy.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Comodo fireall
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I don't recommend zonealarm as they track your useage patterns and send that info back to their servers.

AVG is good, but I also recommend Avira AntiVirus

http://www.free-av.com/

FireFox 3 with the adblock plus extension is also a must.

http://www.mozilla.com/
http://adblockplus.org/en/
Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
Hoss the SURVIVER
Avalon Senior Member

HI ALL

SuperAntiSpyware free is good to I run AVG n SuperAntiSpyware both together n have no problems. Plus i also use FIREFOX tis better than EXPLORER

Hoss
E G M
Hoss the SURVIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss the SURVIVER View Post
Plus i also use FIREFOX tis better than EXPLORER
EXPLORER is a virus

Also this is a good time to point out if you run more than one firewall at the same time or more than one anti virus active you will get issues.

Last edited by zorgon; 10-20-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #17
Fun 4U Leader
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

I agree with what "Carol" said at the start. If you are going to buy anything, buy a router first. All the rest that you need you can get it online for free.

With my router as my firewall, I can go hard wired, wireless, access to the router admin is password protected, and, I can secure it with up to 128 bit encryption. My router is online 24/7 even if my PC's are not.

I disabled my PC Windows XP firewall protection, because no other firewall is needed. (I still can't afford a MAC, even though I do like them better.)

Avira antiVir Personal Edition is free, been using it for years, and my only anti virus software.

Here is the link for free anti virus software: (Just checked and it is valid still)

http://www.free-av.com.

My adware, malware, and pop up blocker is also free on the web.

Again, be careful what you link to because not everyone in the world is friendly to .mil sites. Note to self, there are a great number of .mil sites that are "official use only" and they don't want you there unless they know in advance that you are visiting. Relatively few are open to the public.

For the cause.
Fun 4U Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

This thread is to help people to protect themselves, not argue about computer architectures.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #19
spiritual_wanderer
Avalon Senior Member

Firefox and AVG =

Spybot =
spiritual_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
dataeast
Avalon Senior Member

For Windows users...

Jetico Personal firewall is a free (version 1.0) and is infinitely(!) less leaky than the Windows firewall and compatible for use on a LAN.

Spybot uses a Hosts file to re-link malicious sites to home (127.0.0.1), however if you can follow some straight forward instructions you can maintain your own by following the guides at MVPS.
Google "MVPS HOSTS FILE"

Peerguardian2, developed to protect p2p is a good choice with updated IP filter lists from Bluetack (BISS). Recommended if using any p2p app like uTorrent.

Firefox browser doesn't use Browser Helper Objects (BHO's) or any ActiveX components which are the general methods used by virus's/trojans.

Noscript and Adblock plugins for Firefox enable per site allowing of scripts which are the ways that malicious code can be executed on the host machine.
dataeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #21
Darcman
Avalon Senior Member

The virus we pay for ... http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle5006025.ece
Darcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
RSF
Avalon Senior Member

Super-interesting thread, for me.
I've been paying for and running McAfee "Security Suite" for the last four years.

Lately, I have been receiving NOT FULLY PROTECTED security alerts (for the last eight months), with an auto-fix button. It does not work, virtual technician does not work. Removing the whole McAfee show, getting the 'final removal' tool and using it; then reloading the whole suite from the McAfee site, lasts afew days then the error comes up again.

I finally learned McAfee "Security Suite" shut's down 2/3 of my overhaul protection if by chance I have competition loaded on my PCs (which I do Mal ware detection). I spent hours and hours to learn that. McAfee's a GONNER. Right after it expires early next year. Thanks guys for telling us where to find the best antivirus/malware -- Tip Of The Hat !!

RSF
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
macrostheblack
Avalon Senior Member

Try PC Tools Threatfire a free download. A general all in one protection program. Runs in the background and full scans can be done manually.

I also use Kaspersky internet security - one of the best - and Ad-Aware 2007 for general clean ups.

Macros
macrostheblack is offline   Reply With Quote