Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Scientists Make Sperm From Stem Cells, See No ‘Human in a Dish’

I saw a video on this earlier today on Yahoo and no one has posted anything on it yet!

Dantheman62, How did you miss this one!!!!

Scientists Make Sperm From Stem Cells, See No ‘Human in a Dish’

By Trista Kelley

July 8 (Bloomberg) -- Scientists created human sperm from stem cells for the first time in a bid to better understand the causes of male infertility.

The researchers, led by Karim Nayernia from England’s Newcastle University, developed a technique to turn stem cells with male chromosomes from human embryos into reproductive cells, known as germline, and prompt them to divide, they said in a study published in the journal Stem Cells and Development today. The divided cells produced functional sperm, the scientists said.

The new technique “will allow researchers to study in detail how sperm forms and lead to a better understanding of infertility in men,” Professor Nayernia said in a statement released with the study. “This understanding could help us develop new ways to help couples suffering infertility so they can have a child which is genetically their own.”

The research may also help scientists understand how genetic diseases are passed on, according to the statement.

The lab-created sperm won’t be used for “fertilization of human eggs and implantation of embryos,” the researchers said. “While we can understand that some people may have concerns, this does not mean that humans can be produced ‘in a dish’ and we have no intention of doing this,” they wrote.

Stem cells, which have the power to become any type of cell in the body, are controversial when research involves human embryos, which are killed when the cells are harvested.

In another medical journal last week, more than 40 scientists, bio-ethicists, lawyers and science journal editors called on their colleagues and policy makers to develop guidelines for the research and reproductive use of stem cell- derived eggs and sperm.

To contact the reporter on this story: Trista Kelley in London at tkelley2@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: July 8, 2009 06:44 EDT

ARTICLE:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=aKQDokHxjfw8

SOURCE for ARTICLE: http://solari.com/blog/

Last edited by peaceandlove; 07-09-2009 at 09:19 PM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
elsinorelore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Scientists Make Sperm From Stem Cells, See No ‘Human in a Dish’

Hey there! Thanks for this! Kinda creepy stuff, the implications are spooky!!! I have goose bumps!!!
elsinorelore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsinorelore View Post
Hey there! Thanks for this! Kinda creepy stuff, the implications are spooky!!! I have goose bumps!!!
Blessings Elsinorelore,

Hey there back, long time since I've heard from you. I agree, SPOOKY.

I don't even want to write down what I'm thinking.

PaL
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
elsinorelore
Avalon Senior Member

boy, you arent kidding, I have tons of stuff floating around in my head about this stuff, wonder when theyll be able to harvest souls next---EEKS Creepy!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I'm more worried that women will line up to have children without the presence of a male to contribute sperm.

It's already hard enough to find a mate but to see people give up and try this? Not good.

Not saying that it will happen but who knows?
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi peaceandlove,

Yet another great post from you.

The undertones of this are screaming out. The scientists are justifying their research by saying that they will understand more about infertility in men. Although fascinating, this is not necessarily their goal.

If they know how to create sperm from stem cells, they wouldn't need to understand about infertility in men, they would merely take away some stem cells from the infertile man and create his sperm for him. Why he was infertile would not be an issue.

I read once that scientists carried out a 'total body' transplant on a monkey. The monkey survived for a couple of weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV89Z35R38I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPmTVIzeFFE

Why did the scientists carry out a 'total body' transplant? So as not to say that they carried out a head transplant of course! Imagine. They are still perfecting their techniques and so eventually, if you pardon the pun, when heads of State die (or at least their body dies) they can be tranfered to another youthful, healthy body!

But back to the topic. This sperm from stem cells does have its' macabre side. If, through food, all men became sterile, the scientists could effectively control the world population by selecting infertile men to make sperm cells so that women could become pregnant. Seems far fetched? Not really. Recently I found out that some genetically modified corn had contraceptive substances.

http://www.gourmet.com/foodpolitics/...y-from-gm-food

Although this may be a good idea for supplying aid in parts of Africa the extreme use of this is frightening. With everybody sterile the scientists may pick a selected few to carry on with the human race.

But what will be the criteria for the selection? That's another story.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandlove View Post
I saw a video on this earlier today on Yahoo and no one has posted it yet!

Dantheman62, How did you miss this one!!!!

Scientists Make Sperm From Stem Cells, See No ‘Human in a Dish’

By Trista Kelley

July 8 (Bloomberg) -- Scientists created human sperm from stem cells for the first time in a bid to better understand the causes of male infertility.

The researchers, led by Karim Nayernia from England’s Newcastle University, developed a technique to turn stem cells with male chromosomes from human embryos into reproductive cells, known as germline, and prompt them to divide, they said in a study published in the journal Stem Cells and Development today. The divided cells produced functional sperm, the scientists said.

The new technique “will allow researchers to study in detail how sperm forms and lead to a better understanding of infertility in men,” Professor Nayernia said in a statement released with the study. “This understanding could help us develop new ways to help couples suffering infertility so they can have a child which is genetically their own.”

The research may also help scientists understand how genetic diseases are passed on, according to the statement.

The lab-created sperm won’t be used for “fertilization of human eggs and implantation of embryos,” the researchers said. “While we can understand that some people may have concerns, this does not mean that humans can be produced ‘in a dish’ and we have no intention of doing this,” they wrote.

Stem cells, which have the power to become any type of cell in the body, are controversial when research involves human embryos, which are killed when the cells are harvested.

In another medical journal last week, more than 40 scientists, bio-ethicists, lawyers and science journal editors called on their colleagues and policy makers to develop guidelines for the research and reproductive use of stem cell- derived eggs and sperm.

To contact the reporter on this story: Trista Kelley in London at tkelley2@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: July 8, 2009 06:44 EDT

ARTICLE:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=aKQDokHxjfw8

SOURCE for ARTICLE: http://solari.com/blog/
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
elsinorelore
Avalon Senior Member

WO!!! Its even creepier after reading all of that!!!! Thanks for the added info!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
sleepingnomore

I love the reason they state for the research:

Scientists created human sperm from stem cells for the first time in a bid to better understand the causes of male infertility

Not buying it! Population control, now we're going to spend money on research for infertile couples...okayyyyyyyy
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Scientists Make Sperm From Stem Cells, See No ‘Human in a Dish’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi peaceandlove,

I read once that scientists carried out a 'total body' transplant on a monkey. The monkey survived for a couple of weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV89Z35R38I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPmTVIzeFFE

Why did the scientists carry out a 'total body' transplant? So as not to say that they carried out a head transplant of course! Imagine. They are still perfecting their techniques and so eventually, if you pardon the pun, when heads of State die (or at least their body dies) they can be tranfered to another youthful, healthy body!

Blessings Steve,

You're like the research ... WOW, talk about more SPOOKY stuff! I wish they'd put some HEADS of STATE on a stake!

Respectully,

PaL

Here is an email I just noticed in my inbox from Natural Solutions:

Modern Medicine Solves World Sperm Shortage (Satire)

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 by: Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) Scientists are now claiming a breakthrough in finding a new way to create sperm. This is being hailed as an amazing medical technology breakthrough that could help treat infertility.

But hold on...

Is there really a shortage of sperm in the world? And for that matter, is there a shortage of people? In an age where overpopulation of the planet is already destroying our natural world and consuming non-renewable resources, it seems absurd to be spending time, money and effort coming up with a new way to create sperm.

And besides, is it really a scientific breakthrough to accomplish what every 12-year-old teenage boy does automatically in his sleep? The creation of sperm, after all, has been happening for as long as anyone can remember, and I don't recall any sperm shortage public protests or United Nations warnings about the world running out of sperm.

Sure, we're short on fresh water, arable land, and common sense, but sperm is not on the list of things in short supply around here. We should probably focus on making the babies we have right now healthier and more vibrant through nutrition and good parenting rather than figuring out a way to bring more babies into the world -- most of whom will be nutritionally abused by ignorant parents feeding them junk food, by the way.

How to destroy sperm: Junk foods and pharmaceuticals

It's no coincidence that junk food and pharmaceuticals cause a loss in sperm quality in the first place. In fact, male infertility caused by exposure to junk foods and

Continues: http://www.naturalnews.com/026576_sp...ne_health.html