Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Default The Mayan Calendar - Archeology, Culture

This is copied over from some questions to Bill Ryan [thread] about the possibility of interviewing Mayan researchers, or Mayans. I thought it would be interesting to talk about the Mayan people, ancient civilization and so on, too. For instance, I remember hearing that there were protests by indigenous people about how 'they' were depicted in Mel Gibson's film, Apocalypto. E.g. there are some activists mentioned here:

Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto' angers Mayans
http://www.actressarchives.com/news.php?id=3117

Also, I heard a broadcast on CBC radio, where an archeologist was interviewed about 2012 and the Mayan calendar. It was at about the time of the release of the movie last month. She had some VERY interesting comments - the intellectual history - on the 'Westernization' of Mayan culture with some who, when, etc.

Here's an article about her, which I've found as I tried to dig up the CBC podcast. If I find the podcast, I will post it too.

Movie has 2012 wrong, says Canadian archaeologist
November 19, 2009 | 9:59 am
But Canadian archaeologist Kathryn Reese-Taylor, who teaches at the University of Calgary, says in a statement that although the monument, called the Tortuguero Monument Six, refers to the date Dec. 21, 2012, it is not an end-of-the-world prophecy. She says the translation of the text essentially says that something will occur on Dec. 21, 2012 and that it will be similar to something that occurred on another date in the past.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lapl...nd-emmeri.html

It seems like a great topic to explore.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Mayan Calendar - Archeology, Culture

Thanks No Caste. I beleive it is important to push forward the research and the voice of the people who respect and cherish the Mayan cultures, history and calendars.

I have looked at your post and link you provided on Bill's thread, thanks. The reason why I think it is important is because 2012 is getting very very popular in the public. Now, many people are associating 2012 with end of the world, or cataclysm...

It does no good for the mass consciousness knowing perfectly that the future that unfold is the one cast from the global consciousness of humanity as a whole. Part of the mental influence program I suppose...

Here is a comment from Carl Johan Calleman about self claim expert on the mayan calendars and cultures...

http://mayaportal.lucita.net/blog/carl/prophets_bonanza

Namaste, Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Mayan Calendar - Archeology, Culture

Thanks Steven for the link. I was reading some older threads - looking for a music video link lol - and noticed information that Luminari posted. I'm adding it here too, as it seems relevant (Luminari, hope that's OK) and offers another Mayan researcher's name as a resource.

I've been reading from other mayan researchers Dr Calleman and others that this whole dreamspell 13 moon calendar time system devised by Dr Jose Arguelles is completely made up (just like our current Gregorian system) and is NOT endorsed by the mayan people and does not correspond with their actual time systems.'

The archeologist who I mentioned in the first post was commenting in particular on Dr Jose Arguelles. She didn't completely dismiss his work though, as I recall (and I still can't find the podcast), but the background she discussed was fascinating to me.

Last edited by no caste; 12-17-2009 at 07:16 PM.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
archeology, mayan calendar, mayan culture