Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Would Humanity Be Better Off If We Just Abolish Government?

I'm throwing out this hypothetical to see what insights might be learned...

Assuming for the sake of argument that it would be possible to abolish government, would we be better off?
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Would Humanity Be Better Off If We Just Abolish Government?

I'm thinking not - we still need something that will prevent anarchy, which is what government does, theoretically - however, getting the "right" something in place with the right people, is problematic, given the fact that society today has devolved into a every-man-for-himself and I'm-not-a-real/good/rightful-person-if-I-don't-have-X

I think we can thank BF Skinner for this (NOT). <sigh> and rampant predatory capitalism.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
iainl140285
Avalon Senior Member

Not all in one go - I think a gradual phasing out with new structures and mind sets of personnel responsibility and common sense being introduced.

It would take a loooonnnnggggg time to make it work however, time we dont have

Last edited by iainl140285; 05-07-2009 at 04:06 PM.
iainl140285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
feeler
Avalon Senior Member

Having a number of republics for us to pick and choose would be nice. If one person is not satisfied with one system, he/she has the right to relocate to a different system.

I call this healthy and peaceful competition among the republics.

A one-world government guarantees rotting corruption at the top.

-feeler
feeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
777 The Great Work
Avalon Senior Member

A government Governs the Mental states of opposites in polarity.

Duality thinking gives birth to government.It is this type of thinking that the government thrives on .

When the mind is in confusion,then comes choice between this or that. As long as there is the illusion that creates conflicting polarities,there will be government. Government xsist because of the masses uncertainty, and fear of the unknown.

Last edited by 777 The Great Work; 05-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.
777 The Great Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Myplanet2
In The Mists

IMO 7's has this exactly right.

we don't need government anymore. Since our duality game is coming to a close, so will our tolerance of top down government, or top down anything.
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Theoretically? Yes. Practically? No. The practical ideal is a minimalist decentralized government. Electronic participation in decision making by We the People of Earth can be facilitated with the internet. In a small way...this is what is happening here on Avalon...except we aren't voting. Actually...that would be a cool idea...for us to vote on various issues. Who knows what that might lead to? Ross Perot was correct when he suggested the Electronic Town Meeting. At the time...everyone laughed.
I'm not laughing. We don't need a dictatorship. We don't need anarchy. We need Constitutional Responsible Freedom. Sorry for the broken record.

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 05-07-2009 at 05:32 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoxymoron View Post

...Electronic Town Meeting...
I would love to see this happen...
Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
scanner
Avalon Senior Member

Legal Government voted in by the MAJORITY not MINORTIY as is the case here UK anyway, ppl just turn off when it comes to politics and the lies told by politicians no one believes them anymore , feathering there own nests all the time lots of them outed recently caught with there sticky fingers in the till . Its not Goverment thats the problem its the ppl ie politicians (not all of them )
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 The Great Work View Post

Duality thinking gives birth to government.It is this type of thinking that the government thrives on .

When the mind is in confusion,then comes choice between this or that. As long as there is the illusion that creates conflicting polarities,there will be government. Government xsist because of the masses uncertainty, and fear of the unknown.
Well said!!
And unfortunately it's always been that way.
The cavemen had a leader of the pack,and I'm sure his friends were council.
the indians had a chief,and I'm sure his friends and wisemen were council, and so on!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Government is a phenomenon whereby irresponsible people delegate responsibility to irresponsible people...and then wash their hands of any responsibility for the irresponsible actions of their irresponsible leaders. This is the epitome of stupidity.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post

I love this emoticon. It's so cute!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyscat View Post
I'm thinking not - we still need something that will prevent anarchy.................alys
Would Humanity Be Better Off If We Just Abolish Government?

in a word....YES!!

that's what anarchy is all about. in theory, anarchism should work as well as any '..ism'.certainly anarchism provides the greatest personal freedom. unfortunately, it also requires the greatest of personal responsibility. in order to have maximum freedom, it behoves us to ensure that everyone has that freedom. therefore, it does not allow us to harm our neighbours, or limit their freedom. that's the dichotomy of anarchy.

there is no '..ism' that actually works in practise, but they all look good on paper.
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

No - all theorising aside

Babies need nursemaids

The people have what they deserve due to their apathy and penchant for
absorbing lies and not having the guts to stand against them

We may as well ask - would humanity be better off without starvation? The answer is pathetically simple, of course we would and we have it in our power to stop this immediately, but we don't.

Guess what folks, I'm tired of all the B.S. weak kneed gutless cr*p. All the nice theories, the clever code cracking, the philosophising etc etc etc

Most especially I am tired of weak kneed and gutless people who allow themselves to be run by certified nutcases. This could have eben stopped at the first sign of wrong doing but it wasn't so guess what dear friends, by our very own inaction and acceptance of all of this, we are complicit.

Oh I know, don't bother answering, you never do anyway unless it's to be disparaging....who cares, I don't. Not anymore.

Peace love and Light ? I think not, let whatever is coming happen because we deserve it for being so frigging pathetic.Take all your clever

and patronising speak and shove it where it belongs, in the trash can and gutters...........

Belonging to this forum is actually a joke, show me one good thing that has come of it, just one.
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993rZrfLBjg

and now wake the F*CK UP
Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Zeddo, your heart is in the right place...but the transition to a world without starvation, war, financial and political corruption, using God's name in vain, etc, etc...will occur in an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary manner. This will take time. The video was sobering...to say the least. The realignment of the worldwide governmental and religious structures will eventually eliminate this bs.

Just the fact that people from around the world are talking to each other on a daily basis about controversial topics is a wonderful thing. People drop in to this site and learn a great deal. There is a time and a place for all of the approaches found here on Avalon. It just needs to be taken to the next level...and applied to the governing of planet Earth. Global internet discussion accompanied by We the People of Earth voting on a wide variety of issues would accomplish a huge amount of good. The elected representatives would be tasked with carrying out the orders of We the People...and not the other way around.

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 05-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 The Great Work View Post

You are right.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

In my opinoin..the masses have been hypnotized by "Under God one nation", to trust the dirty politicians to work for them..because they voted for them on their lies and deception.
Fortunately..the masses are waking up.....they are seeing what is left after the ravage...now it's up to us to make the necessary changes to see that it never happens again
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddo View Post
watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993rZrfLBjg

and now wake the F*CK UP
i'd love to watch, but i can't. what's in the video?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
iainl140285
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaganfreak View Post
It starts with an few shots of city restraunts, KFC, McDs and the likes. Its in some busy Asian city. 2 girls go into a restraunt, order chicken, eat what they like from it, laugh and have a joke then leave.

Then a man comes on a bike after the restraunt customers are gone with a large plastic bin. He sifts through the remains of all the left over, chewed up meals trying to salvage anything still edibble.

He takes the scraps to a rural area outside the city it looks like and puts the bin down. A group of hungry kids then start tearing into the scraps. Very sad. It the unseen ... let me change that - its the un-akoweledged part of life.

The fact that there are people who do not really know what they have, and do not really know how the others live.
iainl140285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaganfreak View Post
Hi OPF

this is the accompanying description

This film is about the hunger and poverty brought about by Globalization. There are 10,000 people dying everyday due to hunger and malnutrition. This short film shows a forgotten portion of the society. The people who lives on the refuse of men to survive. What is inspiring is the hope and spirituality that never left this people. Directed by: Ferdinand Dimadura, 2005
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOK View Post
In my opinoin..the masses have been hypnotized by "Under God one nation", to trust the dirty politicians to work for them..because they voted for them on their lies and deception.
Fortunately..the masses are waking up.....they are seeing what is left after the ravage...now it's up to us to make the necessary changes to see that it never happens again
It often seems to be more 'One Nation Under Satan' than 'One Nation Under God'. Come to think of it...I thought it was supposed to be 'One Nation Under the Constitution'. I thought there was separation of church and state. If we have 'One Nation Under God'...why that's a THEOCRACY. At the front of the senate chambers there are Fascist symbols and 'One Nation Under God' instead of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. What's wrong with this picture?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eynHq...eature=related.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfMwK0kCccI

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 05-07-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #23
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Nope.

As much as certain folks dislike order, we have to have a least a little bit of order in order to keep people from descending into chaos.

On the topic of government and laws, we certainly don't need prohibition of things and we don't need a federal reserve. I can think of a few more things but for me, personally, the idea of cutting the "safety net" and watching the poor and disabled fall into the sea is something that I just can't support. This is why I could never be a Libertarian, though I do support some libertarian ideas.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
Legal Government voted in by the MAJORITY not MINORTIY as is the case here UK anyway, ppl just turn off when it comes to politics and the lies told by politicians no one believes them anymore , feathering there own nests all the time lots of them outed recently caught with there sticky fingers in the till . Its not Goverment thats the problem its the ppl ie politicians (not all of them )
Majority rule doesn't work when it comes to deciding whether certain people/groups have rights or not.

It's certainly not the way to go.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #25
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainl140285 View Post
It starts with an few shots of city restraunts, KFC, McDs and the likes. Its in some busy Asian city. 2 girls go into a restraunt, order chicken, eat what they like from it, laugh and have a joke then leave.

Then a man comes on a bike after the restraunt customers are gone with a large plastic bin. He sifts through the remains of all the left over, chewed up meals trying to salvage anything still edibble.

He takes the scraps to a rural area outside the city it looks like and puts the bin down. A group of hungry kids then start tearing into the scraps. Very sad. It the unseen ... let me change that - its the un-akoweledged part of life.

The fact that there are people who do not really know what they have, and do not really know how the others live.
thanks iain and zeddo. i'm glad i can't see it. i'd be in tears. it's painful to think of some with sooooooo much and so many with nothing. we are so wealthy, even the poorest of us (i mean us, you and i. if we have a computer,or even access to one, we're probably know that we can eat today and tomorrow.)

but, we are still left with the question of what to do with government. considering that any political system, or lack thereof, is a failure due to inherent human lust for power and wealth, and that any government, throughout history is, or will become, corrupt and mindless of the needs of the masses, then i say abolish government.
we can't be any worse off without it than we are with it.