Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Compact Fluorescent Bulbs are Making People Sick

http://www.naturalnews.com/News_0006...pollution.html

Compact fluorescent light bulbs are filling home and office environments with dangerous electromagnetic pollution, causing devastating health effects on some people. Neurologists are increasingly taking notice of the headaches and migraines being reported by people exposed to compact fluorescent light bulbs.

Here's a video news report detailing this threat to your health: http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/gl...

I've been warning NaturalNews about CFLs for years. It's not only the fact that they cause headaches and skin problems, it's also the fact that they contain mercury vapor, which is highly toxic to the nervous system if inhaled. (Unless you're a conventional dentist, of course, who absurdly believes mercury isn't harmful to the human body.)

This is why I founded EcoLEDs (www.EcoLEDs.com), which has been selling mercury-free, eco-friendly LED lights since late 2007. But LED lights are still too expensive for most consumers, and they're nowhere near the affordability of compact fluorescent bulbs.

Meanwhile, CFLs are all the rage these days, with hotels, offices and retail stores all turning to them as light sources, unwittingly unleashing a new wave of electromagnetic pollution onto consumers.

So what should you do in your home? Don't buy compact fluorescent light bulbs! Buy LED lights and you'll earn back the entire cost of the lights in just a couple of years due to savings on electricity expenditures. If you can't afford LEDs, stick with regular incandescent light bulbs until a better solution comes along. They aren't the best thing for the environment, but neither are mercury-containing CFL light bulbs, almost none of which are properly disposed of anyway.

Ottawa to test energy-saving bulbs for harmful UV rays
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=1199852

Ottawa to test energy-saving bulbs for harmful UV rays
Jen Skerritt, Winnipeg Free Press
Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2009
WINNIPEG - The federal government is reviewing the safety of energy-saving light bulbs, responding to concerns the low-cost green alternative may emit potentially harmful ultraviolet radiation.

Health Canada launched a study in December to test compact fluorescent bulbs to see if they emit ultraviolet rays - less than two months after British health officials issued a public warning that, in proximity, the bulbs emit UV rays similar to outdoor exposure levels on a sunny summer day.

Health Canada launched a study in December to test compact fluorescent bulbs to see if they emit ultraviolet rays — less than two months after British health officials issued a public warning that, in proximity, the bulbs emit UV rays similar to outdoor exposure levels on a sunny summer day.
Pat McGrath

The United Kingdom's Health Protection Agency now recommends people should not be closer than 30 centimetres from an energy-saving light bulb for more than one hour per day, since it is like exposing bare skin to direct sunlight. The agency warns the emissions could cause problems for people suffering from medical conditions like lupus.

In Canada, the bulbs have been widely promoted as an easy way to reduce greenhouse gases and are expected to replace incandescent bulbs by 2012 after a federal ban eliminates the inefficient bulbs altogether.

Robert Bradley, Health Canada's director of consumer and clinical radiation protection, said the increased use of energy-saving light bulbs across the country prompted the review. That it comes on the heels of media fanfare over the British study is coincidental, he said.

Bradley said researchers will test whether the bulbs emit any UV rays and, if so, how intense they are. He said it's important to ensure the compact fluorescent bulbs are as safe as the old standard fluorescent tube lights.

Bradley wouldn't speculate on whether the findings could jeopardize nationwide campaigns promoting the use of the light bulbs as a green alternative.

"It's not something we've announced outright and, quite frankly, at this point in time there really isn't a lot to announce," Bradley said during a phone interview from Ottawa Tuesday.

"I'd rather have some results we can analyze and determine what if any response is required."

Preliminary results will be available by late summer or early fall.

Manitoba Hydro promotes compact fluorescent bulbs as one of the best energy-efficiency investments, since they use 75 per cent less electricity and last up to eight times longer than incandescent bulbs. The utility first started public campaigns to get Manitobans to switch to the efficient light bulbs four years ago, and continues to offer special discounts and incentives for people who purchase them.

Hydro spokesman Glenn Schneider said the utility may have to change its energy-efficient lighting programs if the federal study unearths harmful emissions from the bulbs. Schneider said Hydro hasn't received any complaints about radiation or skin damage from the light bulbs and speculates that sensitivity to light is more common in Europe than North America.

"If there's something that turns up that is of concern, then we would have to reconsider our campaigns promoting those bulbs," he said. "But I think we'll wait to see if there are any results that confirm that concern."

© Winnipeg Free Press 2009
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Kathleen

Default Re: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs are Making People Sick

C.Crane also sells LED lighting.

It's a great company...they specialize in radio. I purchased my solar/crank radio from them....and of course my"CCRadioplus". (which has been through a fire and still plays!)

CCrane.com

Last edited by Kathleen; 01-21-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Antaletriangle,

Tell me about it. I hate the little buggers.

The light is not as strong and the 'fluorescence' gets on my nerves, not to the state of headaches, but it's like sitting in a whorehouse window every time I turn the things on.

I understand the need and the eco friendly aspect, but I still prefer the traditional yellow bulbs. It's not that I don't want change, it's that the rapid 'flickering' of the flourescent bulb gets to me.

I reckon I might go back to candles.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
http://www.naturalnews.com/News_0006...pollution.html

Compact fluorescent light bulbs are filling home and office environments with dangerous electromagnetic pollution, causing devastating health effects on some people. Neurologists are increasingly taking notice of the headaches and migraines being reported by people exposed to compact fluorescent light bulbs.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Antaletriangle,

Tell me about it. I hate the little buggers.

The light is not as strong and the 'fluorescence' gets on my nerves, not to the state of headaches, but it's like sitting in a whorehouse window every time I turn the things on.

I understand the need and the eco friendly aspect, but I still prefer the traditional yellow bulbs. It's not that I don't want change, it's that the rapid 'flickering' of the flourescent bulb gets to me.

I reckon I might go back to candles.

Best regards,

Steve
You'd look alright in a whorehouse window with stockings and suzzies on Steve!!lol. Oh,i forget a little lipstick wouldn't go amiss also mate!!lol.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation How to Dispose of Light Bulbs ~ Precautions

*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT ENERGY SAVER LIGHT BULBS! ***
May 13, 2008 C-SPAN

Representative Ted Poe of Texas addresses the house for 5 minutes regarding energy bill which should have been called the anti-American non-energy bill because it punishes Americans for using energy rather than finding new sources of affordable energy. But, the bill does one thing, it controls the type of light bulbs that all Americans must use......

Ban's incandescent light bulbs by 2014 and requires Americans to buy CFLs.

Nowhere in the US Constitution does it give the government the power to control the type of light bulbs used...lacks Constitutional authority.

Mercury has to be disposed of in a certain way according to EPA rules.....

See complete video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

An energy saving bulb has gone - evacuate the room now!
By MARTIN DELGADO ~ 06 January 2008

Energy-saving light bulbs are so dangerous that everyone must leave the room for at least 15 minutes if one falls to the floor and breaks, a Government department warned yesterday.

The startling alert came as health experts also warned that toxic mercury inside the bulbs can aggravate a range of problems including migraines and dizziness.

And a leading dermatologist said tens of thousands of people with skin complaints will find it hard to tolerate being near the bulbs as they cause conditions such as eczema to flare up.

The Department for Environment warned shards of glass from broken bulbs should not be vacuumed up but instead swept away by someone wearing rubber gloves to protect them from the bulb's mercury content.

In addition, it said care should be taken not to inhale any dust and the broken pieces should be put in a sealed plastic bag for disposal at a council dump ? not a normal household bin.

None of this advice, however, is printed on the packaging the new-style bulbs are sold in. There are also worries over how the bulbs will be disposed of.

Article Continues Here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-room-now.html

Personal note: I have also read you will probably need to have the carpeting removed as it is impossible to remove the mercury from the carpeting, so it is advised not to use the bulbs in carpeted areas.

It's also amazing how hard you have to look at the package to find out that there is mercury in the bulbs.

No thanks to Al Gore and GE who promoted this during the Global Warming Event?

I've never bought one.

Compact fluorescent light bulbs contaminate the environment with 30,000 pounds of mercury each year
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 by: Mike Adams, NaturalNews Editor

A compact fluorescent light is a type of energy-saving bulb that fits into a standard light bulb socket or plugs into a small lighting fixture, and right now, compact fluorescents seem to be gaining in popularity. But did you know they can also be toxic to your home and the environment?

Article Continues Here: http://www.naturalnews.com/021907.html

FDA Pressed by Lawsuit to Address Mercury Amalgam Safety
Thursday, May 22, 2008 by: Teri Lee Gruss, citizen journalist

(NaturalNews) In 2006, a Zogby poll found that 76% of Americans were not aware that their "silver" dental fillings (amalgams) are composed of 50% mercury. The poll was sponsored by the Mercury Policy Project and funded by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT).

According to the IAOMT, Zogby pollsters also found that 92% of the 1,216 people that responded to the poll wanted "to be informed of their choices with respect to mercury and non-mercury dental filling materials, prior to treatment and 77% would choose higher-cost fillings that do not contain mercury, if given the choice".

Has your dentist disclosed to you that mercury amalgams are used in your fillings? Have you been given the option of choosing a higher priced mercury-free filling material?

Article Continues Here: http://www.NaturalNews.com/023283.html

Last edited by peaceandlove; 02-01-2009 at 12:52 PM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

The bottom line on CFLs and mercury

By Lori Bongiorno
Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008

Personal Note: This article tries to downplay the danger of mercury in CFLs.

Don't let reports of mercury in CFLs discourage you from using energy-efficient light bulbs. While it's true that the bulbs do contain tiny amounts of mercury, it's also important to remember that problems only arise when bulbs break at home (and elsewhere) or in a landfill.

Here's how to responsibly and effectively deal with both issues.

Disposal

Recycling is a cinch now that all Home Depot and Ikea stores offer free take-back programs. If you don't live near one of these retailers, search Earth 911's database for nearby recyclers.

Clean Up

No need to panic if a bulb breaks. Just follow these strategies from the Environmental Protection Agency and a study conducted by Maine's Department of Environmental Protection.

Air out the room. Open the windows and have everyone leave for 15 minutes. Be careful not to walk through the breakage on your way out. Close the door behind you. Turn off central air-conditioning/heating system if you have one.

Carefully gather glass pieces and powder with cardboard or other stiff paper such as index or playing cards. Use duct tape, or other sticky tape, to pick up remaining small glass and powder. Place everything in a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealed plastic bag. You might want to use disposable rubber gloves if you have them.

If you're cleaning up a floor or other hard surface, use damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes to wipe the area. Never vacuum or sweep with a broom because you run the risk of increasing mercury exposure.

The federal EPA says, if you're dealing with a carpet or rug and have to vacuum the area where the bulb broke, you should remove the bag when you're done and place it in a sealed plastic bag. Maine's EPA suggests throwing out area rugs or removing parts of carpet as an added precaution. If you keep rugs, then good ventilation is essential the next several times you vacuum. Open windows and turn off you're your central air-conditioning/heating system before and after vacuuming.

Throw away any clothing or bedding that came into direct contact with broken glass or powder. Washing may contaminate your machine and pollute sewage. You can wash clothing that was in the room, but not in direct contact with the broken bulb. Wipe down shoes with damp towels or wet wipes and put them in a sealed jar or bag.

Immediately place all your clean-up materials outside. Wash your hands and face thoroughly. Check with your local government to see how to dispose of broken bulbs. In some cases you can dispose of it with your normal trash pick-up, but recycling is preferable.

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_cons...d-mercury.html
Old 01-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

list of mercury free dentists (a lot of them, are paying attention)

http://www.dentalwellness4u.com/merc...dentistry.html

http://www.hg-free.com/db/dentist.ph...anada&state=ON

http://www.dentistry-without-mercury.com/
(this is my dentist)

dr. brian mcclean

http://www.dentistry-without-mercury.com/links.htm

Last edited by THE eXchanger; 01-25-2009 at 02:47 AM.
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow Re: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs are Making People Sick

Thank you Susan, it doesn't hurt to remind people of the dangers of mercury in the mouth too.

I've posted this video elsewhere on Avalon, here it is again.

Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas

The dramatic video titled Smoking Teeth = Poison Gas has had a tremendous impact on both the public and professional audiences.The full version plays 40 minutes with interviews of experts in the fields of mercury toxicology, environmental medicine, politics and dentistry. It is available from the IAOMT for $14.95 + $4 shipping. Send Kym an email at info@iaomt.org to order your personal DVD today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylnQ-T7oiA
Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

One last article to share:

Mercury Does Not Belong in Light Bulbs or Vaccines

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 by: Herb Newborg, citizen journalist

(NaturalNews) According to the National Association of County Health Officials (NACHO), an independent affiliate of the National Association of Counties representing 1,300 local health departments, mercury poses the following dangers: "Mercury can be extremely toxic, especially to infants and children. Mercury occurs in three forms: the elemental form (also referred to as metallic), inorganic salt, and organic compounds called methylmercury. Each form has characteristic pathways of exposure and unique health effects. Mercury affects the nervous system, causing brain, nerve, kidney, and lung damage. Though symptoms may be absent or non-specific, a fact that will hinder diagnosis, they frequently include skin rashes, particularly redness and peeling of the hands and feet in children; tremors; muscular weakness; inability to walk; convulsions; personality changes; memory loss; and in extreme cases, death. The developing fetus is the most sensitive to the effects of mercury, and so women of child-bearing age are the population of greatest concern. Children of women exposed to relatively high levels of methylmercury during pregnancy (and through breast feeding) have exhibited a variety of abnormalities, including delayed onset of walking and talking and reduced neurological test scores.

Article Continues Here: http://www.NaturalNews.com/022279.html
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Great bright hope to end battle of the light bulbs

Great bright hope to end battle of the light bulbs

Complete article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...eco-bulbs.html

By ANDREW LEVY
29th January 2009

A lighting revolution is on the way that could end at the flick of a switch the battle between supporters of conventional bulbs and the eco-friendly variety.

Cambridge University researchers have developed cheap, light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs that produce brilliant light but use very little electricity. They will cost £2 and last up to 60 years.

Despite being smaller than a penny, they are 12 times more efficient than conventional tungsten bulbs and three times more efficient than the unpopular fluorescent low-energy versions.

Last edited by peaceandlove; 03-05-2009 at 08:14 AM.