Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default British PM comments on NASA hacker Gary McKinnon

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10104349-83.html

British prime minister Gordon Brown spoke on Thursday (at least indirectly) about the future of Gary McKinnon, a 42-year-old UFO enthusiast accused of hacking into several U.S. military sites. It was the prime minister's first public comments on the case which, after six years, took a twist over the summer.

McKinnon lost his last fight against extradition in July but has yet to arrive in the United States to stand trial. His lawyers are continuing to appeal within the E.U. courts. McKinnon, who has been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, has said he would prefer to stand trial within the U.K., or at the very least serve his sentence in the UK.

Brown spoke while taking questions at the House of Commons. While he did not address McKinnon's case directly, he did say the "U.K. and the U.S. are signatories to the Council of Europe convention on the transfer of sentenced persons, which enables a person found guilty in the United States of America to serve their sentence in the U.K."

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...on-says-mp.htm

PM needs to help hacker Gary McKinnon, says MP
Prime Minister Gordon Brown needs to intervene to ensure Gary McKinnon is not jailed in the US, says David Burrowes, MP for Enfield Southgate.

McKinnon faces imminent extradition to the US to face trial for allegedly hacking more than 73,000 US military computers.

Burrowes is leading a campaign by several politicians to halt McKinnon's extradition unless the US allows him to serve any sentence in Britain.

David Blunkett, former home secretary, is among supporters who have called for McKinnon to be repatriated immediately because the hacker has Asperger's syndrome.

This week Burrowes asked during Prime Ministers' questions if the PM will ensure UK citizens such as McKinnon are not routinely extradited.

ADVERTISEMENT
Brown responded by saying the UK and the US are signatories to the Council of Europe convention on the transfer of sentenced persons, which enables a person found guilty in the US to serve their sentence in the UK.

Burrowes said, "I am pleased that the possibility of repatriation has been acknowledged by the Prime Minister and I will continue to press for this to become a reality."

McKinnon expects a decision early in December on a request for judicial review of the case by the High Court.

His lawyers filed the request in October after the Home Office rejected an appeal for the extradition to be set aside on health grounds.

McKinnon has admitted that he gained illegal entry to US military computers between 1999 and 2003, but he has denied the alleged extent of his incursions or that he caused damage.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
freekatz
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: British PM comments on NASA hacker Gary McKinnon

That's good, so things might be looking up for Gary. I wonder if it means that he would still have to be tried in the US and then return home for jail time? He really wants to avoid coming here at all costs in my opinion.
freekatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Sol Invictus
Banned

He won't survive being in American custody. They will 'tank him' for all he has, and then he will have a 'suicide'.

Poor guy, I really fear for him. What price knowledge hey?
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

i remember watching the prison tv series 'oz' emerald city, doesnt look like fun to me.. pray he gets time in the uk
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Sol Invictus
Banned

The NSA will strip him bare - won' remember a thing. Then he will be a statistic on their suicide list.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote