Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #26
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: "I Don't Even Want To Be Alive Anymore" Rush Limbaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
this should be a wake up call to people who believe some of the s-h-i-t that is posted in this forum, and really any forum. your average joe regurgitates sensationalistic garbage and does zero fact checking or research.

sorry if this comes off as harsh but come on, wow.
oh kiss off....and don't take things so seriously! Hey I heard it on the radio from someone I trust to pass on legit news, the joke's on me...I'm not familiar with the Onion!

What were you're fooled too...did it bruise your ego? Chill bean....lighten up and have some fun.

I knew the letter was too good to be true...
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #27
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
doooooooooooooooooooood

seriously, read what others have written, the onion is a satirical newspaper, that was written by a random writer of theirs NOT LIMBAUGH

he wasnt having a "moment of consciousness "

ill type this in caps for you sir RUSH DIDNT WRITE IT- ITS A SATIRICAL PIECE OF FICTION....otherwise known as a JOKE.

pleeeeeeez read and understand this and stop carrying on like this poo is real.

if you want to talk about rush being a douche thats fine but please acknowledge that the article ISNT real nor written by R.L

-clark
OK! I get you. Your right. It is satire! lol
mkspllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #28
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion

The Onion is an American news satire organization. It features satirical articles reporting on international, national, and local news as well as an entertainment newspaper and website known as The A.V. Club. It claims a national print circulation of 690,000 and says 61 percent of its web site readers are between 18 and 44 years old.[2] Since 2007, the organization has been publishing satirical news videos online, as the "Onion News Network".[4]

The Onion's articles comment on current events, both real and imagined. It parodies traditional newspaper features, such as editorials, man-on-the-street interviews, and stock quotes, as well as traditional newspaper layout and AP-style editorial voice. Much of its humor depends on presenting everyday events as newsworthy items, and by playing on commonly used phrases, as in the headline, "Drugs Win Drug War."

A second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section called The A.V. Club that features interviews and reviews of various newly released media, and other weekly features. The print edition also contains restaurant reviews and previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities where a print edition is published. The online incarnation of The A.V. Club has its own domain, includes its own regular features, A.V. Club blogs and reader forums, and presents itself as a separate entity from The Onion itself.
Thanks Karen, I wasn't familiar with the Onion....some of us have to learn the hard way!

No wonder it was so surreal...at first I thought someone at the station wrote it as a joke, did a google search pulled up the page with Rush's name and wooowooo! Figured he must've wrote it after a bottle of Jack Daniels and hit send before he could take it back!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #29
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Parody "I Don't Even Want To Be Alive Anymore" Rush Limbaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaw3 View Post
If this Malloy guy thinks The Onion is real news, he does not deserve the title of journalist. I can understand that you fell for it AscendingStarseed, but a news writer with CNN, come on!
Malloy is not a journalist, he's a talk show host...there's a difference. I don't know if he was reading something passed on to him...or what. Trust me, Mike Malloy will hear from me, he's usually right on and is one of the few that operates with some integrity. He's not a right-wing-nut or anything like that...
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #30
clarkkent
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendingStarseed View Post
oh kiss off....and don't take things so seriously! Hey I heard it on the radio from someone I trust to pass on legit news, the joke's on me...I'm not familiar with the Onion!

What were you're fooled too...did it bruise your ego? Chill bean....lighten up and have some fun.

im actually not going to lighten up, this is indicative of a serious problem of people regurgitating info and others reading it and doing the same.

granted, no its not a big deal in and of itself, but when i see this and how everyone started discussing this as fact including yourself AFTER the link to the onion being satire--it unnerved me that people do this and is indicative of the whole conspiracy world on the internet.

its just a small micro example of the macro problem and why 95% of people regurgitate the same grey/reptillian ****, the PTB dont have to work hard to misinform people because you readily do it yourself with zero fact checking and investigation. no wonder people love B and K's journalistic style of "if someone says it , its true" its because the bulk of you follow the same edict.

with this in mind logic would indicate about 95% of the conspiracy memes, and accepted truths are either much different or alltogther wrong, yet people (who are brainwashed by our culture to be non thinking repeaters anyway) will defend utter bull-s-h-i-t just because they "read" it or "heard" it.

i could come up with an elaborate scenario of D.U.M.Bs and my experience with other dimesnionals and if it was well written enough i bet the bulk of this forum would believe it, all i would have to do would be highly detailed and cough up some things ive read elswhere, and then suddenly everyone believes it and worse than that theyll spread the bulls-h-i-t that ive told them and then it spreads like wildfire.

your post is just a reminder for me that i shouldnt even be on these forums because the level of discernment is appallingly low.

-clark
clarkkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #31
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
doooooooooooooooooooood

seriously, read what others have written, the onion is a satirical newspaper, that was written by a random writer of theirs NOT LIMBAUGH

he wasnt having a "moment of consciousness "

ill type this in caps for you sir RUSH DIDNT WRITE IT- ITS A SATIRICAL PIECE OF FICTION....otherwise known as a JOKE.

pleeeeeeez read and understand this and stop carrying on like this poo is real.

if you want to talk about rush being a douche thats fine but please acknowledge that the article ISNT real nor written by R.L

-clark
You can STFU now Kent...

You take things way too seriously, I got it....did you see my other posts, stop poooing all over self and go clean up!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
clarkkent
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
You can STFU now Kent...

You take things way too seriously, I got it....did you see my other posts, stop poooing all over self and go clean up!
classic, im bring up legitimate points and get told to "shut the F up" and that im "pooing on myself'

good luck "ascending" starseed

-clark
clarkkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #33
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
your post is just a reminder for me that i shouldnt even be on these forums because the level of discernment is appallingly low.
-clark

No you shouldn't and you can take your attitude with you too...

You are not a very nice person, are you ClarkKent? You seem to think you a bit better than others, so go. You take your self and life way too seriously...or negatively. Not sure, and I don't really care... but I didn't deserve your attack.

Bye, bye...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #34
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

-clark
Perhaps its time for you to ascend into heaven and then come back to us as Jesus. Humanity really needs to be saved right now and I think you are just the one to do it.

I'm starting an elect clark kent to be Jesus (Superman) campaign.

Personally I think The Hulk would be a good one to save the world but I think Ill write-in Hercules because I liked the cartoon when I was a kid.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #35
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Everyone...

Whoops! I'm sorry about my oversight on the Onion, but lets keep things in perspective and remember the story is about Rush Limbaugh. We're not talking about the collapse of the dollar, a major earthquake or plane crash here...Limbaugh falls in the category of "soft news". Hardly anything to take seriously and little more than water cooler gossip.

As an individual with a background in radio and journalism I know the importance of checking sources, if this were a "hard news" story I would've done more investigation to verify legitimacy. But common now...we're talking about a bloated, drug addled talk show host who's visceral hate has done more damage to this country than can ever be quantified.

I got a good laugh when I realized I'd been had...ouch! Unfortunately while I was trying to respond to others CK was taking this whole thing way off where it didn't need to go. Hope I didn't come across mean...that's not my nature.

He was annoying me with his pettiness, we all make mistakes and most everyone who's seen my previous posts should Know I operate with integrity and don't throw things out there that are misleading or in the category of disinfo - I get just as frustrated with that **** as everyone else.

~A~>
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #36
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspllmn View Post
Perhaps its time for you to ascend into heaven and then come back to us as Jesus. Humanity really needs to be saved right now and I think you are just the one to do it.

Personally I think The Hulk would be a good one to save the world but I think Ill write-in Hercules because I liked the cartoon when I was a kid.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #37
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

I'm going to jump in here without judgment.

First of all, we're going to attract some agent provocateurs if we don't clean this up ourselves.

I've been bitten by some of these memes also. I think we all have. I do my research on all of these topics, but it's nearly impossible to be on the ball 100% of the time.

That said, we need to have a high bar of standard here. As it has been exposed, this topic obviously does not make the grade as it is a parody.

As I've heard Kerry say before quite a bit, as above, so below. The microcosm does represent the macrocosm. This is nearly 100% expressive of Camelot interviews. We have one person who unknowingly spreads some information. Then we begin the telephone game where one person spreads it to another and another until it seems like everyone is just a big mouth-breader.

This kind of cr** will be proliferated until someone raises their hand and calls bullsh**, but so many people will have already become emotionally invested in the story that they will fight even though they have no leg to stand on.

Let this thread stand here as an example to Avalon of how these things work. Let the people of Avalon see it in its light for what it is.

There are serious things going on in the world and we must be careful as to how we represent ourselves. When any of us speaks in the mainstream, we are already given the moniker of "crazy" or conspiracy theorist. If we are going to disseminate any message, it needs to be that of truth and for that very reason each of us must hold our contact to a much higher standard than we would when having a drink with some friends.

When I submit reports that I'm not sure about, I use language like "may be", "potentially", "as reported", etc. These are small things, but they make a huge difference. The difference being that of me saying I saw this happen, I witnessed it with my own eyes, I know it's real vs. I heard this report or this story and it seems compelling, but I really don't KNOW.

Let's stop the in-fighting and focus on some of the bigger issues that need attention.

--sjkted

Last edited by sjkted; 01-26-2010 at 07:15 AM.
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #38
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
im actually not going to lighten up, this is indicative of a serious problem of people regurgitating info and others reading it and doing the same.

granted, no its not a big deal in and of itself, but when i see this and how everyone started discussing this as fact including yourself AFTER the link to the onion being satire--it unnerved me that people do this and is indicative of the whole conspiracy world on the internet.

its just a small micro example of the macro problem and why 95% of people regurgitate the same grey/reptillian ****, the PTB dont have to work hard to misinform people because you readily do it yourself with zero fact checking and investigation. no wonder people love B and K's journalistic style of "if someone says it , its true" its because the bulk of you follow the same edict.

with this in mind logic would indicate about 95% of the conspiracy memes, and accepted truths are either much different or alltogther wrong, yet people (who are brainwashed by our culture to be non thinking repeaters anyway) will defend utter bull-s-h-i-t just because they "read" it or "heard" it.

i could come up with an elaborate scenario of D.U.M.Bs and my experience with other dimesnionals and if it was well written enough i bet the bulk of this forum would believe it, all i would have to do would be highly detailed and cough up some things ive read elswhere, and then suddenly everyone believes it and worse than that theyll spread the bulls-h-i-t that ive told them and then it spreads like wildfire.

-clark
Can you tell us what forums you are going to because I want to be on the right ones too! Please tell us because I want the high level of discernment that you possess and Im willing to do anything to get it.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #39
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

OK, that's enough please. Respect each other is the number one forum guideline.

It would be great to have a way to teach people to be more discerning. It is one thing as we learn as we age - we make mistakes and learn from them.

Some also learn that being kind will get you a lot further than ridicule.

Once you've been exposed to a piece from The Onion - you see the tipoff on the next one is it's so over the top - your brain goes - what? Is this This Onion?

What are some other tips on being more discerning?
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #40
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
take the "parody" off the title , people should see the level of scrutiny the people who post here are using....
This has been a very strange thread to read through just now. Was wondering if people had forgotten the meaning of the word 'parody' until I read that. Maybe not a bad idea though.

Quote:
You know the end of that saying right?

I really don't mean to come off as condescending here, but did you read the whole thing? There's like 10 swears in it.

Quote:

Indeed, this isn't a big deal in itself, but certainly indicative of a larger problem, and I'm with you all the way up until...........

Quote:

-clark
Easy killer, don't forget what you wrote earlier in this very thread.

Quote:
while everything else is very interesting it doesnt matter, who cares if you can move things with your mind, bi locate travel to other worlds, or even knowing about all that-- if you cant even master getting along with others.
Agreed in full. I'm here less for info, and more to interact with people who are very kind and open minded, which may lead some to be a bit gullible, but hey sometimes it's tough to keep your mind just open enough that it doesn't completely spill out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaw3 View Post

There's no comparison with SNL. The Onion is in a higher league.
Word.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #41
UncleJohn
Avalon Senior Member

Let us be kind to one another.
UncleJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #42
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

The Onion is a great site!

I cant believe I got sucked into this thread like that even though it said "Parody" at the very beginning!.

I think one thing we (I) have to do is just simply pay attention.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #43
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
The Onion is a great site!

I cant believe I got sucked into this thread like that even though it said "Parody" at the very beginning!.

I think one thing we (I) have to do is just simply pay attention.
It didn't. I saw it too and the word Parody was somehow (?) added later.

--sjkted
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #44
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

This is somehow turning out to be a worthwhile exercise. Everything is here to be seen, unlike who knows what happens with the Camelot hot air (I mean whistle) blowers.

First post was made at 4:15AM today.

At 4:45AM, Karen mentions the Onion is a site for parodies.

At 4:53AM, the original post is edited by Karen.

Karen: did you edit the title of the thread?

--sjkted
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #45
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkted View Post
This is somehow turning out to be a worthwhile exercise. Everything is here to be seen, unlike who knows what happens with the Camelot hot air (I mean whistle) blowers.
First post was made at 4:15AM today.
At 4:45AM, Karen mentions the Onion is a site for parodies.
At 4:53AM, the original post is edited by Karen.
Karen: did you edit the title of the thread?

--sjkted
Yes, I did and I forgot to put the reason why the edit was done -
I was trying to get people to wake up to what was going on with that piece.

I come back and hour or two later and the whole deal has gone bonkers with people slinging insults at each other. Bill Ryan has given some input the last few weeks, to take this forum to a higher level, and we are going to see what we can roll out in the next few weeks, or who knows how long, it's really tough working with an all volunteer team.

What you do want the community of the future to look like? This thread?

Last edited by Karen; 01-26-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add word you
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #46
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Oh yes, you are right.

I really do need to pay more attention!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #47
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

I come back and hour or two later and the whole deal has gone bonkers with people slinging insults at each other. Bill Ryan has given some input the last few weeks, to take this forum to a higher level, and we are going to see what we can roll out in the next few weeks, or who knows how long, it's really tough working with an all volunteer team.

What do you want the community of the future to look like? This thread?
With all due respect, if Bill Ryan wants to take the forum to a higher level, he needs to give an adequate response to the Cliff High issue. There were some very real issues that have been brought up in respect to that that are reverberating around this forum and on the greater internet. I wrote him a very genuine response that I put quite a bit of thought into. I was respectful to him and I raised some important topics. Bill Ryan stopped responding on this forum shortly after I posted.

I realize he is likely very busy, but what I wrote and the comments from others were quite a bit more than fan mail. They deserve an adequate response, if Camelot and Avalon are to be taken seriously.

Quite frankly, this is not an edict that can be given from above. As above, so below.

--sjkted

Last edited by Karen; 01-26-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add word you to my quoted words
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #48
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

What do you want the community of the future to look like? This thread?
I think people do come here to find real answers and interesting conversation.

This kind of thing will happen when people make mistakes when posting thread titles. Things can sometimes be confusing enough as it is.

However, I for one will consider the issue resolved and will endeavor to pay more attention in the future (and not stay up so late).

Last edited by Karen; 01-26-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Add word you to my quoted words
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #49
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

maybe, i'll get a million dollar donation LOL
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #50
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

after reading it; you should ask for a COMPLETE UNDO