Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Canada

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
no caste

Default Militarization of Canada's National Parks?

I liked naturalists much more

Armed park wardens finally on the beat
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/rock.../46325622.html

May 27-09: "Members of this law enforcement branch are the only park staff allowed to retain the park warden title and wear the warden uniform and insignia, as well as the famed Stetson hat."

Parks Canada proud of personnel history
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/rock.../45662852.html

May 21-09: "...My primary concern must remain the safety and security of our staff and visitors. In order to avoid putting staff at risk, as argued by the union and upheld by the Appeals Office, no potential ambiguity can exist in the identification of law enforcement personnel and their vehicles. For this reason, only armed Park wardens can be permitted to wear the park warden uniform, including the Stetson, and be called park wardens."

Alan Latourelle,
Chief Executive Office,
Parks Canada Agency

National park policy change affects Pacific Rim wardens
http://www2.canada.com/westerly/news...3-3d20fc9751f9

Apr 23-09: "A $12 million new policy at the national level that took effect April 1 means big changes for local park wardens."

‘Elite’ Wardens to Carry Sidearms
http://srj.ca/default.asp?sourceid=&...&hn=srj&he=.ca

Nov 25-08: "The traditional Canadian park warden is no more.
Parks Canada is creating a new ‘elite’ category of park warden, 100 specially-trained officers who carry side arms to enforce the National Park Act, the Species at Risk Act and the National Marine Conservation Act."
Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Militarization of Canada's National Parks?

That's all I can say.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

well its just a matter of time now till they miss use there mandate and kill some one or screw with the wrong guy and loose the gun and eat a bullet . Dumb
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Is it because I am Canadian and this is a Canadian decision that I am not overly concerned about this issue? I would rather see the wardens armed so that they can protect themselves from the odd nutcase that might surface. They have a right to feel secure in their job. And what about the odd bear or cougar or whatever?

I do sympathize with opposing points of view and agree that there might be potential for overkill....However, at present I really do not feel too perturbed.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
Is it because I am Canadian and this is a Canadian decision that I am not overly concerned about this issue? I would rather see the wardens armed so that they can protect themselves from the odd nutcase that might surface. They have a right to feel secure in their job. And what about the odd bear or cougar or whatever?

I do sympathize with opposing points of view and agree that there might be potential for overkill....However, at present I really do not feel too perturbed.
They'll use it as an axcuse to taser someone to death or kill them in the name of security. They dont have to be armed. They can do their job just as easy as before. There havent been any reports in the media of them undergoing problems policing their parks. It's just another excuse to harm someone in the future that the establishment wants to harm.
246 is offline   Reply With Quote