Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb The power of music to awaken us / Tool the band?

I have always listned to many different types of music. I have worked at an independent music store for most of my college years. One thing that always facinated me was the freedom that musical artists were allowed to have. I do not know what anybody here thinks of the band TOOL but their songs have really helped me validate my own feelings. The song 46 and 2 for instance is about us as humans haveing 46 chromosomes and our spiritual awakening would cause us to gain 2 more. Then the art work on most of their c.d's portrays Alex Greys interpretation of our spirits evolution through love. Their are countless other artests that I have come across that specifically speak of the time were in right now, Sweatshop Union has wonderful lyrics along with Sage Francis who are both hip hop artists. I figure that the reason they are allowed to put those types of lyrics widely distributed records is because they figure that 99% percent of the people will not understand what the artist is really saying. I also read about how Tool synchronizes its rythems to the specific beat of our souls and the universe. Some really incredible stuff, and I was just wondering what anybody else thought about music facilitating our awakeing

Last edited by Carol; 10-04-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Orion Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The power of music to awaken us / Tool the band?

Funny, I wondered if there was a link also. I heard as above so below in the lyrics that other day and had to do a double take. I like their melodies and their artwork. It says something to me, don't know if much else matters then?!? I vote thumbs up for Tool! I used to listen to Metallica and heavy stuff, I can't anymore, but I can still listen to Tool.
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
TPFolder
Avalon Senior Member

I'm with you man, Tool's music is incredible. Many examples of there songs being overlapped, played backwards, etc... have been posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Et5F6lk8A
TPFolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
rustanddust
Avalon Senior Member

I've known about Tool but didn't start listening to them until Bill Hicks
rustanddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

The Song Lateralus for instence

This is a song I don't think anyone can interpret to its full extent. I do agree, however, that it is about feeling and exploring the supernatures of life. It is easily one of Tool's best musical experiences (who can really go ahead and call it a song?). It has so many layers, through its musical complexity and concepts.

The drummer and Maynard use fibonacci number sequences within their playing/singing throughout Lateralus. My own interpretation of Lateralus, is about searching for the next level of living and consciousness, through spirituality and other planes (ie the ASTRAL plane, which I strongly believe is a theme within songs such as parabol/parabola).

Many lines within the song are quite obvious as to what they are about once you have an understanding of what [I think] the great Maynard James Keenan is expressing. For example, "...to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human" is about the number phi appearing throughout life and throughout the Universe, which is also known as the golden ratio, and is believed by some (obviously Maynard) that it has spiritual and eternal meaning, and the aforementioned line is talking about entering a new plane or becoming one with the inter-connection of all Universes, while still walking the Earth as a human. In general, this song is about searching for a gateway to this divine place within our life and the evolution of humanity.

Everything is explained and backed up in the music as well, which is a reason Tool are so amazing. For example when Maynard's voice disolves into the guitar solo/EXTENTION OF THE SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE in the line, "..to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human", and the lines that lead up to "we'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been", when the bass is sliding up, as if animating the rest of the piece, provoking thoughts of reaching a new level of being.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Morris View Post
The Song Lateralus for instence

This is a song I don't think anyone can interpret to its full extent. I do agree, however, that it is about feeling and exploring the supernatures of life. It is easily one of Tool's best musical experiences (who can really go ahead and call it a song?). It has so many layers, through its musical complexity and concepts.

The drummer and Maynard use fibonacci number sequences within their playing/singing throughout Lateralus. My own interpretation of Lateralus, is about searching for the next level of living and consciousness, through spirituality and other planes (ie the ASTRAL plane, which I strongly believe is a theme within songs such as parabol/parabola).

Many lines within the song are quite obvious as to what they are about once you have an understanding of what [I think] the great Maynard James Keenan is expressing. For example, "...to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human" is about the number phi appearing throughout life and throughout the Universe, which is also known as the golden ratio, and is believed by some (obviously Maynard) that it has spiritual and eternal meaning, and the aforementioned line is talking about entering a new plane or becoming one with the inter-connection of all Universes, while still walking the Earth as a human. In general, this song is about searching for a gateway to this divine place within our life and the evolution of humanity.

Everything is explained and backed up in the music as well, which is a reason Tool are so amazing. For example when Maynard's voice disolves into the guitar solo/EXTENTION OF THE SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE in the line, "..to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human", and the lines that lead up to "we'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been", when the bass is sliding up, as if animating the rest of the piece, provoking thoughts of reaching a new level of being.

I think you'll find this cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZ...eature=related

-John aka#404
John aka#404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

that is amazing

thanks for sharing it

susan
the eXchanger
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
OceanWinds

Tool... though I like their music most likely lowers your vibration, instead of raising it. The reason being that almost all rock music stems from the blues/motown and that rythmic beat. It doesnt have much to do with the lyrics. This motown beat has been tested many times using kinesiology and meridian stress techniques, and weakness results. Lots of classical music and opera on the other hand.... lol, has been proven to make people go strong.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Someone told me Maynard is inot Tai Chi big time. Isn't that linked to ascension/spirituality and quieting the mind? I'm not too sure Tool has typical rock beat to it. I've played in bands, doing the rock thing. i think Tool is pretty hard to play becasue it is not typical in it's timing. Typical rock stuff is so easy 'cuz it is all the same pattern. Dunno, my guess though....
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
Dominic
Avalon Senior Member

Out of the blue I really dig classical music like Bach. I feel really good when I have it on.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

I have listened, really listened to Tool for over 15 years....there are so many messages, secrets, etc. hidden within their lyrics. There was just a magazine released that gives the world an in depth look at the band and their beliefs, you can go to any book store and buy it. Tool is into metaphysics, spirituality, the occult etc. In the magazine, it even states that in their studio you can find different books and one of them was "The Book of Thoth",in which "As so above, so below" phrase was derived from. If you want a true look at this band to understand their music and their true message then check that magazine out. Some bands create music, while others create a map to knowledge. Search it out.
thedarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

What is the magazine called? if you dont mind Mr. thedarke. I would love to check it out because their poetry is so hard to understand when first read.

Thank You
Old 09-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #13
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Morris View Post
What is the magazine called? if you dont mind Mr. thedarke. I would love to check it out because their poetry is so hard to understand when first read.

Thank You
I don't remember the name of the magazine, but it has been on the shelf for a few months, I will be at the bookstore tomorrow and will get you the name of it. The cover is one of their pictures off their recent album.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Softy1107
Avalon Senior Member

how come i never heard of Tool before
went on youtube to check it out, 5mins later im dowloading Vicarious as we speek

can someone recomend what other albums i should check out???

p.s.- let the record show Bach rocks
Softy1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
Rebel4Life
Avalon Senior Member

I especially like the song Right in Two by TooL on how We humans misuse our free will etc.
Rebel4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #16
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Conch, yes they do use a fibinacci pattern for alot of their songs and lyrical structures. On the albut Lataralus they use it for the whole format. To softy: I would reccomend downloading the album Aenima.

For anybody who really would like to read some great lyrics I would suggest listening to Bright Eyes.. They recorded their last album in a small house in mexico where ET sightings have been present for all of recent history.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
arcora
Banned

I feel so strongly about my answer to your question that I created a new topic here: http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1612
arcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
NorCal Avenger

I don't know if Tool can awaken us, but I can tell you that their videos are rad. The parabola video has a kundalini rising event at the end, and it's almost identical to what I've experienced with kundalini. It's near-perfect.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

I would recommend all their c.d.s. It is like an evolution of music and deeper meaning within their lyrics, and each c.d. and song usually has some connection with the next. Some songs you may say what the F***, but many if you listen and read the music has many metaphsycal and spritual connections and meanings. Their last c.d. "10,000 days" was based on Maynard's (lead singer) mom and her faith and her beliefs before she passed, but is also an extension of their previous C.D. Lateralus.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Does anybody know what is the meaning behind the title 10,000 days? Or what it could possibly referr to.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #21
SomeDoTheKnowledge...
Avalon Senior Member

If you like hip hop you should check out: KRS-One, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Dilated Peoples, Rza!! & Gza(Wu-Tang Clan), The Roots, Planet Asia, Pharaoahe Monch, Non Phixion, Dead Prez, House Of Pain.

Those and more have "guided my spiritual evolution" to a large degree!!

I shall check out TOOL!!!
SomeDoTheKnowledge... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #22
ADAM KADMON
Avalon Senior Member

My experience with Tool was as a young man. They were my "favorite" at the time. Naturally, I eventually discovered that despite their obvious enlightenment and understanding their music was indeed "dimming" overall.

As cryptic as Parabola may be, they also have a song called "Prison Sex" and I quote a lyric which states: "This sh**, blood and c*m on my hands," from that track. That type of composition doesn't promote healing if you know what I mean...

Only a small understanding of music will suffice, and perhaps a bit of intro-observation after listening.

I think of them now as a Gateway band. They are attuned to the vibration a "spiritual teen" may be experiencing. And then thus impart a line of thinking that goes deeper than whatever little-kim, or jazzy-j is singing about...

Later, the fortune majority will outgrew them and found much greater fulfillment in Beethoven, Mozart and the likes. Beethoven's music ALSO uses the "golden ratio" and sacred number sequences. Many of his compositions were composed after bird's songs for example. And most people would agree that Beethoven's greatest pieces, were done after the man went deaf! He said, it was only after he has lost his hearing that he could truly "hear the music" (of the spheres).

And so, there is a time and place for Tool. But if you listen too long, without absorbing some Mozart from time to time, you might find yourself with the same feeling you get when you deprive yourself of sunlight.

Adam K.
ADAM KADMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #23
clayman
Avalon Senior Member

The drummer in Tool was raised in a Freemason Family, if i remember correctly..
clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:54 AM   #24
ranma187
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
The drummer in Tool was raised in a Freemason Family, if i remember correctly..

note the winged circle around the eye.
ranma187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with the sunlight metaphore. They do have kryptic songs that I am not sure are that good for you vibration. One thing to remember though is that horrible events, like the one in Prison Sex, happen to people every day. It is ignorant for us to just ignore things that are not of light. I have a friend who was just released from prison and he will not even talk about his experiences. In order for him to bring himself out of the dark he has to accept every moment of his life and then be at peace with it. That is the message that Tool and other artists, who write about things that most people do not want to think about, bring to people who have had horrible experiences. If you really want to know what there message is then look at the art work of Alex Grey. You can find it on google images and one of his paintings is being used as my avatar