Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Default Free computer help here!!!

I know there are a bunch of techie guys on this forum and I know there are folks with questions...

I'm not trying to get off the reason for this forum....doing this may help folks get on this forum or stay on if they are having PC problems.

I can't weave a basket but I can solve a lot of PC problems.....and if I can't ...there is a lot of guys on here that can.

In other words....trying to give back because I have gotten so much from you guys.

Thanks
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Free computer help here!!!

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is about 3 years old and uses Windows XP. I don't have huge amounts of software or files on it and try to delete files or remove software I am not using. I subscribe to Trend Micro Internet Security which updates itself regularly and runs regular virus and spyware scans. I defragment my hard drive regularly.

This computer used to be pretty fast but it seems to have gotten gradually a little slower. I don't understand why and would like to speed it back up.
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewParadigmGuy View Post
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is about 3 years old and uses Windows XP. I don't have huge amounts of software or files on it and try to delete files or remove software I am not using. I subscribe to Trend Micro Internet Security which updates itself regularly and runs regular virus and spyware scans. I defragment my hard drive regularly.

This computer used to be pretty fast but it seems to have gotten gradually a little slower. I don't understand why and would like to speed it back up.
On the lower right by the clock are the programs that run automatically on start up......

They can also be memory hogs...not hard drive memory but resident memory.

Run your mouse over them...If you aren't using them...right click and say not to run at start up..

But If I'm not using..I usually uninstall.....thanks

Hope it helps
Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
On the lower right by the clock are the programs that run automatically on start up......

They can also be memory hogs...not hard drive memory but resident memory.

Run your mouse over them...If you aren't using them...right click and say not to run at start up..

But If I'm not using..I usually uninstall.....thanks

Hope it helps
Thanks, I thought of that before, but when I right click on them, I have the option to "exit". But then they just run again when I restart the computer. Another problem is I am not sure what some of these programs do, and whether I need them running or not.
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Thanks, I thought of that before, but when I right click on them, I have the option to "exit". But then they just run again when I restart the computer. Another problem is I am not sure what some of these programs do, and whether I need them running or not.
Usually...things like printers....abobe acrobat reader.....virtual drives install things you "might" use every once in a while.

I usually uninstall things that I know I have the software for in case I need to put it back...

But proactively I don't blow through the install process for software...I want to make sure I uncheck...Start with Windows...or Load automatically.

If you have some examples of what's loading...I might be able to tell if you need them...thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Stargazer: thank you for giving back to our little community.

About a week ago, I had started listening to a you-tube vid of Andreai Boccelli and about 2 mins into the vid, the music stopped, & in its place came a extremely loud siren type of sound. Actually it sounded a lot like a fire siren. It seemed to be everywhere in my laptop, the sound was piercing, & to tell the truth, I was scared the computer was going to blow up. I tried everything to shut it down, but the computer was frozen and i could not stop it. It seemed to have gone on for the whole length of the vid. Then it stopped. & everything went back to normal. It freaked me out, as I've never experienced anything like that before. I posted on here about it, but no one knew what would have caused it. Got any clues Stargazer.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post
Stargazer: thank you for giving back to our little community.

About a week ago, I had started listening to a you-tube vid of Andreai Boccelli and about 2 mins into the vid, the music stopped, & in its place came a extremely loud siren type of sound. Actually it sounded a lot like a fire siren. It seemed to be everywhere in my laptop, the sound was piercing, & to tell the truth, I was scared the computer was going to blow up. I tried everything to shut it down, but the computer was frozen and i could not stop it. It seemed to have gone on for the whole length of the vid. Then it stopped. & everything went back to normal. It freaked me out, as I've never experienced anything like that before. I posted on here about it, but no one knew what would have caused it. Got any clues Stargazer.
That's a good one..

First impression would be a hardware lock on your sound card....

The sound card malfunctioned and caused the operating system to lock.

Does it play music (mp3) with no problems??

Is it a laptop or desktop??

The software that runs the videos is a flash player which could also have an error..

Here is a page to re-install

http://www.google.com/support/youtub...n&answer=56115

let me know..thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
That's a good one..

First impression would be a hardware lock on your sound card....

The sound card malfunctioned and caused the operating system to lock.

Does it play music (mp3) with no problems??Yes

Is it a laptop or desktop?laptop

The software that runs the videos is a flash player which could also have an error..

Here is a page to re-installIts been working fine since it happened....do I still need to reinstall?

http://www.google.com/support/youtub...n&answer=56115

let me know..thanks
Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Thanks
No....it may have been a one time thing...Techies usually look for a trend of the same problem before making any changes...let me know if it happens again..

May have just been a problem with the video itself....Star
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
No....it may have been a one time thing...Techies usually look for a trend of the same problem before making any changes...let me know if it happens again..

May have just been a problem with the video itself....Star
Ok Star.....blessings & thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
nagual
Avalon Senior Member

WARNING :

”SWASTIKA INSIDE” if you are using VISTA* you MUST NOT enable ‘file and printer sharing’ under any circumstances.
If you say ‘YES’, so to speak, to ‘file and printer sharing’, your computer becomes a slave at once to NSA’s master computers. DO NOT ENABLE*SHARING.

http://indianinthemachine.wordpress....-slave-at-onc/
nagual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:

There is a free pc cleaner that I use
It's called CCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Run that I bet it helps to speed up your PC
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual View Post
WARNING :

”SWASTIKA INSIDE” if you are using VISTA* you MUST NOT enable ‘file and printer sharing’ under any circumstances.
If you say ‘YES’, so to speak, to ‘file and printer sharing’, your computer becomes a slave at once to NSA’s master computers. DO NOT ENABLE*SHARING.

http://indianinthemachine.wordpress....-slave-at-onc/
Nagual: where do we go on our computer to check this out.....tks for the warning
Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
La Galana
Avalon Senior Member

Hello, Stargazer 1965! Thank you for your kind offer!!! Long-time lurker...I, coincidentally, am having a computer issue when you posted...we have a brand new HP Pav Elite e9150t...from the "get go" it has "blue screened" on us or is freezing...nothing much loaded on it...we sent it in for repair...still happening (not as frequent as before)! Believe it or not it is the second system in a row that has done this...first we purchased one...it "blue screened"/froze...they told us they would exchange it for the e9150t...same situation... There are no real calamities, we don't loose data, but it is highly annoying to keep rebooting...and, at this level of machine...it just shouldn't be doing this!!! What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Blessings!
La Galana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual View Post
WARNING :
Thats just silly.

However Micro$oft needs to go so here is a excellent alternative.
In my opinion Linux Ubuntu is the best Operating system for your money! (Its Free) It has "windows" type environment, can run firefox, messaging apps like skype or messenger and much much more.

Quote:
What is Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers. It contains all the applications you need: a web browser, office suite, media apps, instant messaging and much more.
Ubuntu is an open-source alternative to Windows and Office.

The Ubuntu promise

* Ubuntu will always be free of charge, along with its regular enterprise releases and security updates
* Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies from across the world
* Ubuntu provides the best translations and accessibility features that the free software community has to offer
* Ubuntu core applications are all free and open source. We want you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Click here to chat LIVE with other members of Avalon
GaiaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #16
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaLove View Post
Thats just silly.

However Micro$oft needs to go so here is a excellent alternative.
In my opinion Linux Ubuntu is the best Operating system for your money! (Its Free) It has "windows" type environment, can run firefox, messaging apps like skype or messenger and much much more.

GaiLove: seriously, what Nagual posted is not true?

Ok. if we were to load Linux......does it mean that we have to reset passwords & a whole lot of other changes.....as if we were starting from scratch?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Galana View Post
Hello, Stargazer 1965! Thank you for your kind offer!!! Long-time lurker...I, coincidentally, am having a computer issue when you posted...we have a brand new HP Pav Elite e9150t...from the "get go" it has "blue screened" on us or is freezing...nothing much loaded on it...we sent it in for repair...still happening (not as frequent as before)! Believe it or not it is the second system in a row that has done this...first we purchased one...it "blue screened"/froze...they told us they would exchange it for the e9150t...same situation... There are no real calamities, we don't loose data, but it is highly annoying to keep rebooting...and, at this level of machine...it just shouldn't be doing this!!! What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Blessings!
The dreaded BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!

What operating system??

If a problem follows from one PC to the next....probably a peripheral device you have plugged in ...Scanner...Printer...DVD external
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Quote:
GaiLove: seriously, what Nagual posted is not true?

Ok. if we were to load Linux......does it mean that we have to reset passwords & a whole lot of other changes.....as if we were starting from scratch?

I wouldn't take that file sharing threat too seriously. There are many things in place to keep your pc's relatively secure. It's probably Mac propaganda.

As for switching to Linux, you would be starting from scratch so there are no passwords and settings to worry about. web passwords and users names are not effected by you changing your system. I would save your passwords and bookmarks from firefox but other than that, its good to go.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
La Galana
Avalon Senior Member

Hello, again, Star.! Thank you so much for getting back to me! Greatly appreciated! It is...drum roll, please...the dreaded Vista 64-bit. Believe it or not (like we explained to HP) we just have the mouse and keyboard that came with the system connected. Until I know what is going on, I do not want to put extras on this, be it hardware, software, files, etc....yikes! In so far as printing is concerned, the setup is via mapped network drives for printers...only way we could get the printing to work (print sharing thing ).

Best regards!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #20
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

There are 3 items I use on ALL pc's under my care to keep them safe and all are free to download and use. I highly recommend these and only these.
  • Anti Virus - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.0
    Award winning protection to meet your basic security needs
    It’s always been our philosophy at AVG that everyone has the right to basic computer security at no charge. And our 80 million users think we’re doing a pretty good job. So if you’re planning to spend time online and you regularly exchange files with friends, check us out."
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-a...s-free-edition

Spyware - Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer. http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Malware - Lavasoft Ad-Aware - 10 years of malware experience combined in one dynamic application. Ad-Aware offers radically improved performance and efficiency, along with comprehensive malware protection. With real-time monitoring, threat alerts, and automatic updates you can rest easy knowing that you are protected. Site: http://www.lavasoft.com/ Download: http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Fr...bj=dl&tag=top5

Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Hello, again, Star.! Thank you so much for getting back to me! Greatly appreciated! It is...drum roll, please...the dreaded Vista 64-bit. Believe it or not (like we explained to HP) we just have the mouse and keyboard that came with the system connected. Until I know what is going on, I do not want to put extras on this, be it hardware, software, files, etc....yikes! In so far as printing is concerned, the setup is via mapped network drives for printers...only way we could get the printing to work (print sharing thing ).

Best regards!
If you can supply me with the model number of the PC...I'll do some digging...but it does sound like the OS..(Vista)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
La Galana
Avalon Senior Member

Surely, Star, the model no. is HP Pavilion Elite e9150t. Please do not go to so much trouble...your opinion or knowledge is enough for me...really. Again, many blessings!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Surely, Star, the model no. is HP Pavilion Elite e9150t. Please do not go to so much trouble...your opinion or knowledge is enough for me...really. Again, many blessings!
Didn't take much....

The great google gods had a lot to say about your model:

http://www1.shopping.com/xSBS-Hewlet...71343-86572042

Not real good news....

If you have some local techie guy you trust...may want to go back to XP pro instead of Vista
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
La Galana
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you, thank you, Star! I am so very happy and grateful to have received your opinion and help! I kind of expected this. You take good care!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, Star! I am so very happy and grateful to have received your opinion and help! I kind of expected this. You take good care!
Welcome!!