Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
Baggywrinkle

Default Simple Survival Tools - Peelers

One of the main tools that everyone should have is a good peeler. Along with a good knife and a can opener, it is one of the most valuable tools you can have in your kitchen. How else are you going to peel all those vegetables from the garden without a lot of waste?

There are three main varieties of potato or vegetable peeler.

1.) The first one is the Yorkshire type peeler ( It is also sometimes known as a Lancashire type peeler). This is a design that has a blade as an extension of a handle, in a manner similar to the way a blade is attached to a knife. It is probably the most common type.

2.) The second one is called a Y-peeler. This is due to its shape. The blade is usually perpendicular to the handle in this type. This is similar to a razor and they are sometimes called the razor type peeler.

3.) The third one has no official name but is sometimes referred to as an “Aussie type peeler”. It is used fairly extensively in Australia, where this particular peeler design originated. It was designed in about 1947 by a company called Dalsonware in Melbourne who call it the "Dalson Classic Aussie Peeler". It consists of a plastic handle which extends upwards to support both the base and tip of a partially rotating blade. This type of peeler is also typical of the general fruit and vegetable peeler that is used in Canada.

Many peelers have an 'eye gouger' beside the blade. This is a loop of metal used to dig out eyes and blemishes from the potato. They are also great for peeling sweet potatoes for your Thanksgiving dinner!

Mrs. RW has one of the “Aussie type peelers” and loves to peel potatoes, cucmbers and carrots with it. “Aussie type peelers” - This is a good thing!
http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Re: Simple Survival Tools - Peelers

Being an **** about life, but learn to use your knife with a bit of skill and a potatoe peeler is an uneeded luxury.

HOWEVER

Fruits and the like are highly acidic, so if you have a high carbon content blade, then a stainless steel peeler will be a life saver for your knife.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Baggywrinkle

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 11-26-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
My nurse doesn't trust me with sharp objects...
ROFL.

Mine neither till i showed her how good I am with a bladed / edged tool. She never said another thing ever again.

I keep all sharp shinies close to hand. Adding a potatoe peeler to my gear bag though.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote