Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Default What are these sprouting up on Highways?

Hello All,

I was hoping someone may know what these are and/or what purpose they serve? Anyone else seeing these?

As of last month I started seeing these on the side of initially a minor traffic highway outside of Cincinnati, OH, but then noticed two more within two weeks on the same stretch of highway (that were not there before). Roughly two weeks after this, I noticed a panel on the side of a Viaduct, and then the larger panel (where the panel is constructed lower down the pole) on a major highway. Each of these are newly constructed. It is very possible these are common in other states, and are just now reaching Ohio (under the infrastructure stimulus).

I called the Ohio State Department of Transportation to understand what these were, but found myself transferred three times until I ended up in someone’s voicemail. I then left a message and number for a call back, but have yet to receive one. I then decided to email the photos to a friend whom is police officer, but have yet to hear from that person.

I've seen 6 in total, however, only one of them had the bigger panel constructed towards the bottom of the poles while the rest of them were at the top. Each panel per pole seems to be aligned to point in specific directions towards the sky. The pictures are not very clear, but they are navy blue in color and look like Solar Panels (odd for a highway) or perhaps satellite communication devices? The metal boxes on each looks like they may have enclosed a camera or the larger panel pole with the second box up top could be a sensor of some sort.

I had some issues uploading these, so I created a photo bucket account for you to take a gander. Therefore, I apologize in advance for the various advertisements along with the photos. I will try to post these a bit more clear.

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu286/gscraig/
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
TruthWillSetUFree
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What are these sprouting up on Highways?

I have seen the panel types in Northern Illinois but do not know what they are.

I will look to see if we have any of the box type too.

Thanks for reporting this.

Truth
TruthWillSetUFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
addalight
Avalon Senior Member

Greetings from Arizona, the land of photo radar. They look familiar. I think that is probably what they are. States are looking to collect money any way they can now.
addalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Solar powered devices <- certain

Radar <- Probable

Something else like radioactivity/RFID/etc detector <- less probable

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
DJModer
Avalon Senior Member

I see that everywhere on the highway in the east in the remote area. I think it is a speed detector powered by solar panel. Solar panel is used because it cost more to run electrical wire to a remote place. I think it senses the real time speed and transmit information back to the traffic center. If this is correct, it is used to check vehicle speed to see if any one is speeding so that they can dispatch a police car to track the exact location. Also It can check if there is an incident in that area that cause traffic to slow down.
DJModer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
lemon69
Project Avalon Researcher

could be part of equipment that helps track cars for pay per mile driving ,only a thought !!
lemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon69 View Post
could be part of equipment that helps track cars for pay per mile driving ,only a thought !!
This rings a bell for me. This would put them in the same category as a carbon tax on businesses? As in "cap and trade"? Agenda 21 of the United Nations? Local Agenda 21?
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

hmmm...

The poles (3) that are located on the minor highway, are no more than a half mile or less apart. That would be an ineffective use of money, equipment, and strategic placement in terms of capturing speed data/photo radar in my opinion, but I am nowhere near an expert in this area.

Secondly, I've yet to see them on the two main highways in the state. It seems they would have been placed there first. Perhaps I will drive them a bit to see if any are in place.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Quick thought. For those whom have seen this in their area, would each of you contact your respective State Dept of Transportation and inquire about these please? This will help us not only identify what these are for, but furthermore if we get the same answer or no answer.

By the way- These are not located in rural areas, and on the minor highway the 3 poles are clustered I'd say within a 1.5 to 2 mile stretch.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

I would reckon they are devices to track and monitor traffic. The same info that is beamed to GPS units in cars across the country. Senses traffic congestion and then relays that info to a central database.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #11
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscraig View Post
I was hoping someone may know what these are and/or what purpose they serve? Anyone else seeing these?

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu286/gscraig/
They could be for multiple purposes. Out here in Calif., we have solar panels powering lots of things... Call boxes... Road Cams for traffic/weather... etc.

Haven't you seen the Road Cams and looked at your State's web site for traffic web cams? http://www.buckeyetraffic.org/# . And weather http://www.weatherusa.net/skycamnet/...php?state=Ohio I thought everyone knew about them.

With a quick browse search in Ohio, I don't think your State legislature has approved speed cameras yet. That's easy to check out too, call the appropriate department.

Last edited by KathyT; 07-13-2009 at 01:29 AM.
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #12
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I took another look at the links Kathy, but these do not provide any supporting information to confirm what these are. Actually, the links did confirm for me a couple of things that the panels are not. Does your traffic equipment in California resemble these?

Someone may have already pinpointed what these possibly are, so I will look to valid one way or another.

Thanks again
Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
THEWATCHER
Avalon Senior Member

We have them in the UK too

Barry
THEWATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I've seen something like these but I always thought they were posts for bird nests.

I'll keep my eye out the next time I'm on the highway to confirm. Wouldn't hurt to bring a camera as well.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
Ara
Avalon Senior Member

Here in Oz too.
Ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Hello All,

I meant to post this weeks ago, but I spoke with a Deputy District Director with the State Transportation department regarding these. He did indicate that they are solar panels, and the distance between them on the highways was to get different angles (this however cannot be totally accurate based on how these are constructed in my area alone).

I asked him about the poles where there was no camera, but only solar panels and he had no answer. He then referred me to the same site as Kathy did above. I've now seen a couple of poles (one no higher than maybe 6'0 from the ground) with two massive panels, but no cameras attached. Though we here in our state fought it, their are cameras (different than the expressways) up at most high traffic intersections now.

Folks, call me paranoid, but something tells me that these obstructs can serve purposes other than what we or those whom are putting them up (including the gentlemen I spoke with) are being told publicly.

That's all. Just wanted to be consistent and try to follow up on this.

Greg
Old 09-21-2009, 05:11 AM   #17
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscraig View Post
Hello All,

I meant to post this weeks ago, but I spoke with a Deputy District Director with the State Transportation department regarding these. He did indicate that they are solar panels, and the distance between them on the highways was to get different angles (this however cannot be totally accurate based on how these are constructed in my area alone).

I asked him about the poles where there was no camera, but only solar panels and he had no answer. He then referred me to the same site as Kathy did above. I've now seen a couple of poles (one no higher than maybe 6'0 from the ground) with two massive panels, but no cameras attached. Though we here in our state fought it, their are cameras (different than the expressways) up at most high traffic intersections now.

Folks, call me paranoid, but something tells me that these obstructs can serve purposes other than what we or those whom are putting them up (including the gentlemen I spoke with) are being told publicly.

That's all. Just wanted to be consistent and try to follow up on this.

Greg
Greg, I'm glad you talked with the State Transportation department. I don't think they're anything to worry about. Just because there is a solar panel doesn't mean there will always be a traffic cam next to it. They serve different purposes.. .but basically provide electrical power to places where there is no direct electrical line. Lots of good uses of solar panels.

In the MidWest... like Kansas that I visited, they have early alert Tornado warning systems. They're on posts that are out in the middle of no where... they may be powered by solar in some cases.

Going green is a good thing!
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote