Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Default Makes you wonder what else our scientists have got wrong

The following quote is from NASA's site http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/

A new paper in Science from NAI’s Arizona State University team indicates that a trusted equation for calculating the age of the solar system may need rewriting. The team’s measurements show that one of the equation’s assumptions — that certain kinds of uranium always appear in the same relative quantities in meteorites — is wrong.

The differences in the quantities of uranium could mean that current estimates of the age of the solar system overshoot that age by 1 million years or more. Historical estimates place the age at about 4.5 billion years—a number that is not precise enough to show a difference of one million—but more finely honed recent calculations place the age at more like 4.5672 billion years. One million years is still an eyeblink at this scale, representing the difference between 4.566 and 4.567, but this difference is important in understanding the infant solar system.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Aztar
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Makes you wonder what else our scientists have got wrong

Scientist : "We need to be more precise in our guesstimates"
Aztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar View Post
Yeah, although in the scale of things, I guess one million years isn't too far out.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

I've asked myself this question for what seems like forever. As a high school student (more than 25 years ago) I started pointing out 'oddities' in text books to my teachers, yet never got any "good" answers....for instance:
One paragraph would state that an electron is too small to measure, while in the next sentence, they say they can count them....hmmmm...how can you count that which you can not measure?
Here's another oddity...'they' say that at absolute zero, all molecular activity stops...and they have proved it in a lab...hmmm...what about the fact that the lab is moving through space at 66k mph?
Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
truth and integrity
Avalon Senior Member

I laugh more and more about our science. I should say pseudo-science. Maybe Einstein was right when he discovered connections between universe and human stupidity.

Best regards,
truth and integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinty View Post
The differences in the quantities of uranium could mean that current estimates of the age of the solar system overshoot that age by 1 million years or more.
Well, well, isn't this what Ian Lungold predicted in his presentation a couple of years ago !

The Mayan Calendar Comes North 01 - Ian Xel Lungold

Although this video (and part 2) should be on your list to watch entirely, have a look between 48 .. 50 min. ... amazing !
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
xbusymom
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar View Post
we need to be more patient/forgiving of 'authoritative findings' -when you stop to consider that the science is only as good as the technology-instruments-knowledge we have at a given time-
xbusymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
we need to be more patient/forgiving of 'authoritative findings' -when you stop to consider that the science is only as good as the technology-instruments-knowledge we have at a given time-
True...as long as we continue to seek answers from outside ourselves.

Deep introspection leads to the only 'factual' elements one can really describe as "truth"...all else is speculative, subjective opinion.
Deep truths can not be proven to anyone...only realized on an individual basis.

The properties of modern science..."proven" facts...will soon demonstrate what some of us already know...we are 'god'.
As usual...just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Rareheart; 01-06-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareheart View Post
I've asked myself this question for what seems like forever. As a high school student (more than 25 years ago) I started pointing out 'oddities' in text books to my teachers, yet never got any "good" answers....for instance:
One paragraph would state that an electron is too small to measure, while in the next sentence, they say they can count them....hmmmm...how can you count that which you can not measure?
Here's another oddity...'they' say that at absolute zero, all molecular activity stops...and they have proved it in a lab...hmmm...what about the fact that the lab is moving through space at 66k mph?
Yes Rareheart, I learned at a rather young age, not to question what I was being taught. The thought occurs to me that were we encouraged to question what the 'experts' claimed, then we would probably be further advanced in our knowledge. For example, the atmosphere we live in is comprised of a collection of different gases. Each of these gases has a different weight so why, on a still day without a breath of wind,don't they separate out into different layers? Or then there is the old classic of - where does the light go when it's turned off?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Scientists once believed that the earth was flat ( and other similar stories). Doctors use to treat any sickness by bloodletting and washing was considered bad for your health. Not such a long time ago,the atom was considered the smallest particle..... Every day we'll be finding out that what was true yesterday is not true any more today...( I am not talking about deliberate disinfo)
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Soulcrafter
Avalon Senior Member

Scientist did knew the Earth wasn't flat, they just decided not to tell all the rest of us. All part of the dumbing down process. Same happening with the global warming fairytale these days. They know it doesn't make sense, they just decided to tell otherwise and make money out of it. I'm sure it will pass as the "flat Earth theory" and surely there will be a next tale to tell.

Last edited by Soulcrafter; 01-06-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Soulcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
One million years is still an eyeblink at this scale, representing the difference between 4.566 and 4.567, but this difference is important in understanding the infant solar system.
Does anyone know if these numbers - 4.566 and 4.567 - are significant? Also, is the sun (our star) getting further away lately, pulled or drifting, which is a simple explanation for its dimming?
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
conkroach
Avalon Senior Member

Another good one is The Electric Universe. Google it. Yet another thing science seems to have gotten wrong. Probably old news to you. Interesting if you've not seen it.
conkroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

The questioning of accepted principles and 'known' facts is not recommended - for example as an aside . . . . years ago we decided to buy four day old calves and raise them to the age of 12 weeks before selling them. The problem was, how would we feed them? One solution would have been to buy a cow already producing milk. She would be quite capable of feeding two calves. Our property could only support one cow and we wanted to buy about ten calves so five cows were out of the question. The next option was to buy milk powder and hand feed the calves. This option could be expensive and we'd barely cover our costs when we sold the calves. As we did have one cow I proposed allowing her to feed two calves in the morning and in the afternoon, she could feed a second pair of calves. The ones she fed in the morning, I proposed to hand feed in the afternoon while those that she fed in the afternoon, I would hand feed next morning.

The vet said that was not a good idea as switching from natural to 'artificial' milk was not recommended as it would upset the calves internal 'plumbing.' I then suggested milking the cow and then adding the dried milk mixture to that and feeding the calves by hand with the result. The vet said in his years of experience, nobody had ever done that and he didn't think it would be successful.

It was.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, although in the scale of things, I guess one million years isn't too far out.
It could mean the rise and fall of one of the previous epochs of human civilizations. One million years is darn long.

These scientists need to take their heads out of the jar.
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote