Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Belt Kit / Immediate Action Rig.

Just a thought whilst reading through some of the threads.

Who here has an IAR at hand? either in your car as back up, or maybe in the base of a bag thats with you for alot of the time? Do you carry enough kit or have enough kit to hand to be able to A)keep warm over night outside, B) get some clean purified water and C) create a shelter?.

I am asking because when i am out and about I have the essentials with me. Just last week i rigged up a shelter and a fire in the cairngorms for a couple who were lost and very disorientated late in the evening.

They were a bit bemused that some one carried with them so much kit, and yet it saved their bacon when chips were down and still they didn't appreciatyed being a little prepared.

Any thoughts?

(oh and in my kit I have; fire starting / making kit, water purification kit, fishing/trapping set, first aid, navigation, lighting, shelter, bungee kit, hat and gloves, some high calorie foods, multi tool, two saws (one flexible one folding) whistle and signal torch and finally a bit of money stashed in an old camera film holder 'just in case').

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 10-02-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Forgot the saws
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
333mark333
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The Western Shore of the Hudson Bay-churchill, manitoba, canada
Default Re: Belt Kit / Immediate Action Rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
Just a thought whilst reading through some of the threads.

Who here has an IAR at hand? either in your car as back up, or maybe in the base of a bag thats with you for alot of the time? Do you carry enough kit or have enough kit to hand to be able to A)keep warm over night outside, B) get some clean purified water and C) create a shelter?.

I am asking because when i am out and about I have the essentials with me. Just last week i rigged up a shelter and a fire in the cairngorms for a couple who were lost and very disorientated late in the evening.

They were a bit bemused that some one carried with them so much kit, and yet it saved their bacon when chips were down and still they didn't appreciatyed being a little prepared.

Any thoughts?

(oh and in my kit I have; fire starting / making kit, water purification kit, fishing/trapping set, first aid, navigation, lighting, shelter, bungee kit, hat and gloves, some high calorie foods, multi tool, two saws (one flexible one folding) whistle and signal torch and finally a bit of money stashed in an old camera film holder 'just in case').
You are prepared nice to see.
333mark333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Shellie
Banned

I keep an entire hiking pack packed in my car. Between keeping the usual quickie emergency gear in my car that everyone should have (especially since I'm from Michigan), I decided that instead of having a bug-out-bag I'd do just as well putting it all in one bag and leaving it in my car so if I was at work and had to "bug out" I wouldn't have to waste time going home first. By the time I added wool socks and hats and jackets for two kids etc. as well as a little bit of food, it turned into one pretty big pile... so I decided what the hell, and added a sleeping bag etc and stuffed it in the hiking pack instead of the day pack.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Shellie
Banned

(oh and in my kit I have; fire starting / making kit, water purification kit, fishing/trapping set, first aid, navigation, lighting, shelter, bungee kit, hat and gloves, some high calorie foods, multi tool, two saws (one flexible one folding) whistle and signal torch and finally a bit of money stashed in an old camera film holder 'just in case').[/QUOTE]

...but I have only one saw instead of two, 550 para cord, no bungee stuff, a bit of gold and silver and crappy dollars, everyone's passports, an address book, unmarked topo maps to my "destination", and lots of clean underwear!

Last edited by Shellie; 10-02-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: forgot the maps
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Sol Invictus
Banned

550 cord and duct tape added today after I ran out.

Got 20lb fishing line though (just over 200 yards of it (I love hobo fishing).

The two saws do completely different things. Ones a folding hand held for smaller close in jobs, the others for taking trees down to a max size of about a foot across. after that, its axe time.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote