Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Scooby

Default How to can butter

I searched here and didnt see if anyone had posted on this so here ya go. I was checking out canned butter and its so expensive so I searched how to and found this. It's very easy and much less expensive. I'm gonna try this Saturday. I will head to grocery outlet and see if I can find a good sale and buy about 25 pounds and some jars. butter is a great source for the fats we need. heres the link. http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html
God's richest blessings~
Old 09-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
STARCHILD
Retired Avalon Member

Default Re: How to can butter

Thankyou so much for this!
A really wonderful idea!
I can not imagine living without a supply of butter.And I do not intend to do so!
I have been searching for a source of 'canned butter' in the UK for quite some time now.
A company in New Zealand sell it and I have heard it is absolutely delicious!!(can be ordered from-)
www.survivalcenter.com
I have yet to find any companies that supply such a product in the UK.
Good luck x.
STARCHILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
Scooby

Well I went to grocery outlet store and bought 12 pounds of challenge butter(salted) and that was 2.48 a pound so they cost me a total of $29.76 and I bout 2 x 12 count pint canning jar cases at $5.99 per 12 and I got 14 jars of golden goodness. So per pint jar of finished product which is just under a pound each, it cost me 2.98 each. Not bad. I need to get enough to fill my remaining jars in the morning so I have 24 pints/pounds of butter. It worked just like the instructions said just takes a lot of trips to the reefer to shake them so they don't get separation. Very cost effective!!
here it is voilà~ I'm gonna try some in the morning - God's Richest Blessings~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00220.jpg (42.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

This was great info.

Good Idea!
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
Scooby

just tried it and its good but it seems a bit salty to me. Could be the salt rises, could be the butter was at the outlet because it was a salty batch. No worrys though this batch will be labeled salted and can be used for cooking or on pancakes with no salt in the mix, etc . I will try unsalted butter tommorrow. Could be that a mix of 50% salted and 50% unsalted is a good way to go. I suggest trying a couple pounds before you do a great amount. Perhaps a bunch of cheap salted mixed with some premium unsalted. Experimenting is recommended.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
333mark333
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The Western Shore of the Hudson Bay-churchill, manitoba, canada

Great idea. If i may make a suggestion- Let it be organic butter. The commercial butters that in our local are loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones and an array of cancer causing chemicals. What the cow gets we get.
333mark333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333mark333 View Post
Great idea. If i may make a suggestion- Let it be organic butter. The commercial butters that in our local are loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones and an array of cancer causing chemicals. What the cow gets we get.
By all means if you can afford it. Some of us are scrambling just get basics though.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
just tried it and its good but it seems a bit salty to me. Could be the salt rises, could be the butter was at the outlet because it was a salty batch. No worrys though this batch will be labeled salted and
We agree. We've canned two cases of butter. The first
case was salted. If you have a choice use unsalted...
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

I love this thread. Thank you so much for posting it!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #10
Scooby

Doing a new batch this evening and using unsalted butter. Thought Id post a little trick I came up with to make things easier. I took the lids off the jars and kept them in the box and put a sheet of aluminum foil over them and poked holes in the tops so as to protect rims and put the whole thing in the oven since it only has to get to 250 degrees f . heres a pic to show you. after you poor them full carefully remove foil and place lids on and let them cool then place in refrigerator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00221.jpg (52.4 KB, 5 views)