Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
McMaster
Avalon Senior Member

Default Australia thinking of banning all firearms

I do not have a link to give you yet, I could not find one. But I heard from the local AM radio this morning, that Australian government have suggested that all guns should be banned from general population.

Convienient timeing I would say...
McMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Australia thinking of banning all firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster View Post
I do not have a link to give you yet, I could not find one. But I heard from the local AM radio this morning, that Australian government have suggested that all guns should be banned from general population.

I remember Stan Deyo talking about this several years ago before he moved from Austrailia to Colorado. I think that was one of the reasons why they wanted to move.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
Baggywrinkle

Butter knives are next. The precedent already exists in the UK and Asia. Why do you think chopsticks came into
being.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
SpeedAdict
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
Butter knives are next. The precedent already exists in the UK and Asia. Why do you think chopsticks came into
being.
jajajajaja nice one!!

Here in my country the guns are banned, (hunting, sport, etc) Just the military forces are permited to carry and use firearms, but, in the other hand, almost 85% of the population own, carry and trade... There is no way to regulate this problem here because of the HUGE corruption net, besides the insecurity is ALARMING.. In my city (about 1.5M citizen) the death count by Firearms IN THIS WEEKEND WAS 59 DEADS....

You can literaly can get kill by any other person for a pair of shoes.. a watch, a cell phone.. The central goverment DO ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to stop or control this problem, obviusly CHAVEZ is worry about anything else but to be president of Venezuela.. (Just stealing our money)

Last edited by SpeedAdict; 10-08-2008 at 08:08 AM.
SpeedAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
SUNMOON
Avalon Senior Member

RELAX! RELAX!
The banksters already removed most firearms from Australians years ago.
See PORT ARTHUR MASSACRE.

http://www.rense.com/ufo5/port.htm

http://www.rense.com/general74/docs.htm
FACTS TO PONDER

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.

Now think about this...

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million..)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember - "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
SUNMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

Good statistics.

But one small flaw....

Doctors treat thousands of patients every year.

I would imagine gun owners don't point their guns at thousands of people each year - if they did then there would be a fair few more deaths.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
MMe M
Avalon Senior Member

Didnt they already do this? I saw a video with the authorities destroying some beautiful pieces. Some of the guns were like the ones used out west, henry repeating rifles, winchester 30 30's, a .38 special nickle plated and pearl hadled. It made me sick to see and worried for the people of Oz.

Criminals dont care about the laws, they have the weapons regardless. So do governments which makes the odds better for thier side. If you question this just do a little research.

Jordon Maxwell states do not give up your weapons. Peace and love is great if all involved are peaceful without an evil agenda.

Sad to say but our freedom was taken by force and will have to be defended that way. We are not at the time when it is safe to give up the last vestiges of self preservation. Someday I hope, but not right now as seen everyday as of late.
MMe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi McMaster,

I shouldn't worry too much about this.

Australia as been talking about this for a while, as firearm offenses grew at an alarming rate a few years ago.

Brazil tried the same thing a few years ago, to buy illegal firearms from people and offering an immediate amnesty on those who took their illegal firearms into the local police station. It was a complete flop.

Normally a person who has an illegal firearm uses it to do something illegal without getting caught as it's not registered in their name. So banning this type of firearm is better for our security. Better the Devil you know (Government - oops, slightly subversive there!) than the Devil you don't.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster View Post

Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Kosams
Avalon Senior Member

This morning on Adelaide's 5AA the Public Prosecutor was pushing his idea that ALL guns should be banned and thus would wipe out gun killings. Maybe in a perfect world but not in Australia. The national buy-back was a complete waste of time as people handed in their old guns and promptly went out and bought newer models. The 'baddies' still kept theirs so it didn't fix anything.

Jim
Kosams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
stal
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosams View Post
This morning on Adelaide's 5AA the Public Prosecutor was pushing his idea that ALL guns should be banned and thus would wipe out gun killings. Maybe in a perfect world but not in Australia. The national buy-back was a complete waste of time as people handed in their old guns and promptly went out and bought newer models. The 'baddies' still kept theirs so it didn't fix anything.

Jim

yeah the buy-back was a joke. banning all guns would only hurt people who need them. farmers, roo shooters and the like. and ensure there is no chance of anyone defending themselves when they need it most.

one of the main reasons the japanese never invaded australia properly was because they knew everyone was armed. the army even handed out guns to people in some areas. my parents farm had several lee enfield .303 jungle carbines, as did many others in their area. times have changed eh?
stal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
Don'tPanic
Avalon Senior Member

Firearms are banned here in Australia anyway arent they?
Apart from the ones that police people wear on their persons and in the army.
Don'tPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
Kosams
Avalon Senior Member

A Beginners Guide to Australian Gun Laws
1. The matter of gun laws was not included in the Australian Constitution when it became operative at the start of the 20th Century, hence gun laws remain within the jurisdiction of the six states (New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania) and the two territories (Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory). The Commonwealth (Australian) government does not have the power to make gun laws but it can control imports. Since 1991 ex-military rifles such as Kalashnikov types, and military style lookalikes such as the Ruger Mini 14 cannot be imported.

2. Major gun massacres occurred in Victoria and NSW in 1987, in NSW 1991 and in Tasmania in 1996. 150 people died in multiple death shootings alone in the decade starting January 1987. Stricter gun laws have only been made in Australia after a major gun massacre. Some states did improve their gun laws in the late 1980's up to the mid-1990's, and to a degree such improvements filtered slowly to all jurisdictions. The gun death rate was noticeably reduced by 1995.

3. The death of 35 people and serious injuries to almost 20 others at Port Arthur on 28 April 1996 prompted the Australian government to urge a meeting of the eight state and territory police ministers to introduce a new and stricter range of gun controls. Three major changes were introduced.

(a) Gun registration was introduced to all eight jurisdictions
(b) Attempts were made to have uniform gun laws throughout Australia
(c) A new standardised gun licensing scheme was put into practice.

This new scheme allowed non-self-loading guns to be readily available but placed restrictions on high capacity self-loading rimfire rifles,
self-loading centrefire rifles and shotguns and pump-action shotguns. These were the types of guns mainly used in Australian gun massacres. The basis for these changes had been laid in 1990 when the National Committee on Violence (NCV) made about 20 recommendations for improved gun controls. The NCV itself was formed as a result of the six gun massacres in 1987.

There were about four million guns in Australia. One million were no longer in the legal category so a gun buy-back scheme was introduced to purchase these. The estimated average price was $500 per gun. Hence 500 million dollars was set aside. Only 640,000 guns were offered for purchase, hence $320 million was used for this purpose. About another 40 million dollars was used for administration and assistance to gun traders. Since the 500 million dollars had come from a medical levy the balance was distributed to medical research and welfare. It should be noted that the total amount spent on purchasing guns was only about 200 million dollars US. It should also be noted that up to 40% of Australian gun owners did not obey the law, making the term 'law abiding shooters' look somewhat ridiculous.

4. Several exemptions to the gun licensing schedule were made by most jurisdictions. Members of certain shotgun target shooting clubs were permitted to use self-loading shotguns and many rural property owners and professional shooters were permitted to use self- loading rifles and shotguns.

5. In Australia, handguns have only been available to bona-fide members of approved pistol clubs and to gun collectors. None of the changes to gun laws made in recent decades have affected the availability of handguns. Non-self-loading long-guns are readily available to Australians who are at least 18 years of age, have no police record and who pass a simple shooters licence test. As Australian gun laws have become stricter in the 1990's gun deaths have lowered; never-the-less, several serious weaknesses remain within the Australian gun law system. Too many Australians still die from gun wounds.
http://www.guncontrol.org.au/index.php?article=6

The above might sort out a few misnomers about the rules down here.

Kosams
Kosams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #13
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Post Re: Australia thinking of banning all firearms

Last night i also heard on the ABC news that there are "Calls for tougher PNG gun control laws", and found some info here.

The biggest problem is that regulation only effects the legitimate user, and has no real effect really on the criminal element who apparently still obtain weapons by whatever means and have no regard for human lives or the laws that are supposed to protect us from there actions.

Firearms don't kill people, people kill people, and if there were no firearms they would find yet another way to achieve their objective - then we would have all sharp objects, heavy blunt objects, and any other means banned so the population was protected - just another form of control - it would just become so ridiculous.
Tez is offline   Reply With Quote