Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #651
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post

Love Always
mudra
Mudra
glad I made you laugh.
Where would we be without humor.
Chris
Namaste
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #652
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Disclaimer
Anything I put on the thread is my personal understanding so not necessarily true.

For me its down to personal goal, which for me is the removal of ignorance (enlightenment)
God forgive me for I know not what I do.

Because my spiritual intention is removal of ignorance/ego I only read books by those in the state free from ignorance.

My understanding is that they are a pure channel for the word of God, having no ego and in a desireless state they have no agenda.

Nasargadatta said in the book "I am that"
"Be clear until you are enlightened you have agenda even if it is only to get a good feeling from helping others"

To my mind, books that are channeled by non-enlightened are not 100% truth because the writing is affected by their subconscious beliefs and desires, their desire may be of the highest order but there is still an agenda behind it. There is good agenda not so good agenda but it is still agenda.

The teaching that flows through the sage is at a level that the audience is capable of understanding. it may seem to be unique to the teacher but that is only the delivery system, coming through a persona that we can relate to. The persona does not affect or dilute the essential message only the form it takes, .

Its a bit like electricity, it flows through the toaster, the fridge, the tv, different functions but the same power. The 100watt bulb shines a lot brighter than the 40watt bulb, why?
Because there is a lot more resistance in the 40watt bulb.
Bit like people.
The less you resist the more the power of God flows through you.

Chris
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #653
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

There is a sugestion in AA.
"Let go let God"
Millions of lives have been changed from abject misery of addiction to being useful members of the community by following this advice.

When we let go of personal will ie ego even to a small degree then the miraculous begins to happen.

Think of what will happen when belief in the ego is let go of completely.

Could it be that God will create through us, unimpeded by our personal desire a heaven here on earth?

Hawkins says that the major the deterrent to spiritual progress is the belief in "causality"
A something causing a that (duality).
He further explains that Creation is on going with God manifesting through the potential inherent in human beings moment by moment. We are part of that creation. In that respect we are made in the image of God. God given abilities are being used by God when we dont resist His will. The moment authorship is claimed, duality is there and force is needed to continue creating the egos wants and desires. The Power of God is no longer in evidence, so the created product is not life supporting.

Chris

ps Michael C I am trying to be more precise in my words -- smiling -- c I do listen.
CH
Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #654
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Osho on Gurdjieff Work, Gurdjieffian system depends on you having a Centre

[A visitor says that he was at John Bennett’s school in England, where they did Gurdjieffian
exercises: Actually I left there quite confused – I suppose there’s no way out of that. I never had
much ability to do any of the exercises or things like that.]

Osho – It may not have suited you because Gurdjieff’s work is for a particular type, the will type – people who can work hard and very persistently, almost madly… because the whole thing depends on a very deep crystallisation of the ego. Once the ego is crystallised then further steps can be taken. But the whole Gurdjieffian system depends on you having a centre, a self.

Ordinarily you don’t have a centre. In fact Gurdjieff says you don’t have a soul – that is only a possibility; you may die without attaining it. What he calls the soul is nothing but a crystallised self, and crystallised so much so that it takes the position of being sovereign, enthroned, in the crowd of your many selves.

Ordinarily you have many egos, not one, and a conflict continuously going on. Sometimes one is in power, sometimes another is in power; a sort of democracy. A political head is not permanent, so much politics goes on within. So much politics and so much chaos goes on within that you never know where you are, who you are, what you are. Sometimes you have the feeling that you are this, but by the time you realise it that self is gone, is no more m power.

When you have a permanent self then Gurdjieff’s system really starts functioning. To attain that permanent self, one has to do tremendous work, in fact absurd work. Just out of too much work crystallisation happens; the work functions out of a chemical opportunity.

For example in many sufi schools from where Gurdjieff got the point, you have to remain alert for the whole night – for months. The only process to be done is not to allow yourself to fall asleep; it is very difficult. After a few days it becomes almost impossible, but if you can go on and on and on suddenly you realise one day that you are tired no more, that you are no longer feeling sleepy. You are as fresh as if you have been sleeping all the time – a deeper layer of energy has been broken.

We have three layers of energy. One is day to day, routine; you need it for eating, digesting, working, moving. It is finished in twenty-four hours and the next day you create it again. And there is a second layer of energy which is deeper; it becomes available only in emergencies.

Suddenly the house is on fire. You were tired and were falling to sleep, but now you feel that much energy is available. You are running and doing things and for hours you are in hard work. Not for a single moment do you remember that you are tired or that you would like to fall asleep. This is an emergency level available only in dangerous times. Gurdjieff used to create many situations for this purpose – just to bring this emergency level into functioning.

And then there is a third layer that comes only when you are touching the point of death; not only emergency but a death situation. He himself did the last of his experiments, which was to go through a very dangerous car accident. It was managed, it was not an accident; he did it with everything planned. Even doctors could not believe how a man could survive after such a crash.

It was impossible – but he survived. The whole body was broken, all the bones were broken, but he survived. The whole effort was to come to a point where death touches you; you were almost going to die – and then the third layer becomes available to you. If in that moment you can remain alert, then you have touched the very rock bottom of your being – call it God.

So the first layer is only of the ego, the second layer is of the soul, and the third layer is that of God. But the whole work of Gurdjieff is hard, work of the will, and I don’t see that you are the type. To you something more like Zen will be helpful. It moves from the very opposite pole: no effort, nothing to be done but relaxing and surrendering. It is not a question of work on your part. The only thing that you are expected to do is to accept non-doing and relax into it. That is totally different; not only different, but just the opposite polarity of the same thing.

And these are the two types – call them male and female, yin and yang, or whatsoever you like. But you are the feminine type, and this is the problem and has to be understood: that all feminine types are attracted to a male type. So if you were attracted towards Bennet or Gurdjieff or that type of work, it’s natural. The male type is attracted to the feminine paths of surrender. That’s where confusion arises – the opposite is always attractive.

So try Zen – something in which you have just to sit, just to walk, just to be, as if nothing is to be done. Gurdjieff says you have not soul, it has to be created. Zen says you have everything – just relax and enjoy it; it is there. Man is standing just in the middle of these two polarities. Move to any extreme and realisation is possible, because the jump is possible only from the extreme ends. You cannot jump from the middle of the road; you have to move to an extreme, and jump from there. So either move to the extreme of work, will – or move to the other extreme of surrender, no effort, passivity.

The whole of the East, particularly the Far East, has developed no-effort methods; and the Middle East, the Sufis particularly, have developed the path of will. So if you have been doing things just following the path of will, I will suggest to you that you move to the other extreme. Suddenly the key may fit….

Mm mm, we are doing here some buddhist meditations – Vipassana. It will be very good if you can do one ten day course and see. It is just sitting…. Because if you can relax and be passive – and it will be very easy for you – all confusion will disappear. Confusion arises only when you are doing something which is not in tune with your type.

Once something is in tune with your type, all confusion disappears. Confusion is simply indicative, symptomatic, that you are doing something that doesn’t suit you. You may go on doing it and it does not suit you, you go on doing it and it does not suit you, and the mind will say that you are not doing hard enough and that is why there is confusion – and more and more confusion will come.

Once something fits… it is just as when the shoe fits – suddenly you forget the shoe. Whenever a method fits, you simply forget about it and everything falls in line. Only the right key and the lock opens. Try to remember what I am saying. Your type is the feminine type. You are not an aggressive being; you are very non-violent. Not very out-going, not intrusive in any way; you would like to be within yourself. But this work, whatsoever you have been doing, can be helpful; at least it can show you that this is not your type. You be here and try Vipassana.

Source: from Osho Book “Above All Don’t Wobble”

I am finding this text interesting as regard our different inherent natures and what paths to transcend the ego and come to realize our divine essence would suit us best . I think it opens the scope of tolerance and understanding as to how everyone is working at finding his way home .
It's interesting to note that the process of life itself brings us both : things to go through at times and others to let go .

To me when either of these paths brings you back to your Heart and opens it you have arrived home.
In these interesting times we are living these paths are getting shorter and it is my vision and wish that the more connection we make from heart to heart then they won't even need to be travelled at all.
One could literally wake up to it's Heart ..divine presence ..core essence overnight .

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 03-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #655
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
From the dawn of mankind dark force has been steadily feeding us with ego so that we move away and more away from God.
As Mudra said it here, we can not put God in our box of thinking.
The more ego we have - the more we are away of truth, light,wisdom,love-God.
I cannot agree with the above statement more, now I did take out one line from this statement.

We may mistakenly believe at this point that 'ego' means 'thinking we're important'. That's not what ego means.

Ego is the false personality that has been created that keeps us caught in the illusions we are separate from God.

Whether we think we're the 'best person in the world' or the 'worst person' or the most 'average person' or any kind of person at all ~ that's ego.

We're not the ego. The ego is the illusion we're seperate from God. It's not real. It's an illusion.

Throughout the ages humanity has been told that God is not where they are Now. People have been told to remain humble and follow an outer savior in order to get back into the consciousness of heaven. This has been a trick from the dark forces and from the ego.

We are not the Ego. We are Sons and Daughters of God.

Who has taught this in the past? Jesus did for one and we killed him for it.

The path of affirming we're no good, we're not the Christ, is the path of affirming the ego, of affirming and continuously reinforcing the illusion.

Ego = illusions of separation

Truth = I AM One with my Father Mother and my Father Mother works hitherto and I work

Follow the Way to the Christ consciousness that is our True identity Now ~
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #656
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

The disciples sought Enlightenment, but did not know what it was or how it was attainable.
Said the Master, "It cannot be attained". You cannot get hold of it."
Seeing the disciples' downcast look, the Master said,
"Don't be distressed. You cannot lose it either."
And to this day the disciples are in search of that which
can neither be lost nor taken hold of.

~ Anthony de Mello, SJ

Love Always
mudra
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #657
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post
The disciples sought Enlightenment, but did not know what it was or how it was attainable.
Said the Master, "It cannot be attained". You cannot get hold of it."
Seeing the disciples' downcast look, the Master said,
"Don't be distressed. You cannot lose it either."
And to this day the disciples are in search of that which
can neither be lost nor taken hold of.

~ Anthony de Mello, SJ

Love Always
mudra
Great to see Anthony de Mello quoted here Mudra
I learned a lot from his book "Awareness."
All that is said in the quote is so.

Belief in the illusory ego is the obstacle to revealing that which is inherent within me, not elsewhere, not to be found elsewhere.
I am trying to be very precise with my words.

If I want to play golf really well I go to a master class on golf when I am ready for it.
I may start of with a friend who plays showing me the rudiments, if I get a thirst for it I go to a professional and on, always seeking to improve by listening to a golfer who is further on in the game that I. Even professional sports people have coaches to keep them on track.

I didn't even know there was an illusion till I started on a spiritual path through AA
I listen intently to those who were sober I wanted what they had so desperately.
Then with a degree of serenity I wanted more of the peace I found there.
The books by Indian sages came next, that was a shock but I knew in my spiritual heart that it was so.
Everything I know was within me but needed confirmed, awakened, by a spiritual teacher.
AA is about personal house cleaning, spiritual growth, sometimes it is vital to get seemingly outside help.
The Grace of the Guru is legendary.

If the car battery is flat what do I do? I get a jump start from a car that is running on full power.
I want my light to shine as brightly is possible so I am endeavoring to remove internal mental emotional obstacles, lots of times I need help.
I at least have enough humility to ask.
That may come in the form of a teacher appropriate to my needs. It comes through praying to God who is both immanent (within) and transcendent (outwith). Transecendent is the Provence of the religious. Immanent is Provence of the Mystic.

So what the late Anthony de Mello a Jesuit Priest says is so, it nearly got him excommunicated.
His books not to be sold in Catholic shops during his life time anyway.

Chris
Namaste.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #658
RedeZra
Avalon Senior Member

here we are

playing hide and seek

with the Almighty

no wonder He is hard to find

waiting

with infinite patience

while we get lost in the world

and forget to look

for Him that Hides

waiting hoping

that someone soon finds Him

Last edited by RedeZra; 03-04-2010 at 08:57 PM.
RedeZra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #659
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeZra View Post

while we get lost in the world

and forget to look

for Him that Hides

waiting hoping

that someone soon finds Him[/I]
Who is hiding? Are we or is God?

What is the story of Adam and Eve (an allegory for every souls fall in consciousness here)?

When they realize what they have done, eaten from the tree of duality: relative good and relative evil, and found themselves trapped in the separation consciousness, what happened?

Did not the spiritual teacher in the garden come ask them what happened, come offer a hand of help?

Did not they pretend that nothing happened? Did they not they hide behind a rock and covered themselves with tree leaf to hide their own nakedness rather than own up to their mistakes with the spiritual teacher who represented God?

Yes ~ they hid. Our soul hid.

We hid. We are hiding.

The game of Life is not the game of hiding. That is the game of the ego, it is the game of death.

The game of Life begins when we stop hiding from who we are and awaken to our True identity once again, in Oneness with God ~

The surrendering of the ego is surrendering the illusions we have used to cover up our own nakedness. Finally coming back home to the kingdom by our own Free Will choices into our Divine state of Being Grace.

Now is our opportunity to stop hiding from God, own up to our own creations of separation, and surrender them and come back again into the Kingdom within ~

Last edited by 14 Chakras; 03-05-2010 at 01:28 AM.
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #660
RedeZra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 Chakras View Post
Who is hiding? Are we or is God?

The game of Life begins when we stop hiding from who we are and awaken to our True identity once again, in Oneness with God
can you hide from God

so He does not find you

does He not Hide

in our forgetfulness

for Adam and Eve

became body conscious

and the children got lost in the world

where they will not find if they do not look

Last edited by RedeZra; 03-05-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #661
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Taken from 12 steps of AA
! We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol- that our lives had become unmanageable
2 Came to believe that a Power greater than us could restore us to sanity.
3 Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.
7Humbly asked him to remove our short comings.
11 Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12 having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principals in all our affairs.

Serenity prayer.
God grant me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change
courage to change the things I can
and wisdom to know the difference

I thought it might be helpful to put this on the thread as it has to do with transcending ego.

My first exposure to these steps was about 35 years ago, since then I have seen many become sober through them, unfortunately I have also know many to die because they lost humility, ego took over, they thought they could do it on their own, and when they got into trouble again, couldn't let go of ego enough to ask for help.

AA is a place of unconditional love, it doesn't matter what you have done, the help is there. All are without exception equal.
I am not a spokes man or affiliated to AA in anyway.
Because my full name is not here i remain anonymous.

Point I am making is that I know I am dependent on the Power of God for every sober breath I take. The ego doesn't like that one bit. I love it

The power that one receives, becomes available, to become sober through humility and surrender to God. That Power, I call God, has saved millions of lives, lack of humility and thinking one is more powerful than God ( Edge God Out) has led millions to death, through war, famine, drink, drugs, you name it. all down to ego.

I know that the benefits of transcending ego are beyond measure and I can only speak for myself.
It wis nae me. God did it.

My fav teacher was helpful as a psychiatrist in setting up AA in the early days, millions have benefited, DH suggests using the twelve steps as one way to transcend ego.

Chris

Chris
Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #662
RedeZra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
God grant me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change
courage to change the things I can
and wisdom to know the difference

it is a beautiful prayer

sometimes we just have to hang in there

to sail through the stormy seas towards the shores serene

---

found this little gem here by one Linda Bruce I think

God Said No

I asked God to take away my habit.
God said, No.
It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
God said, No.
His spirit is whole, his body is only temporary

I asked God to grant me patience.
God said, No.
Patience is a byproduct of tribulations; it isn't granted, it is learned.

I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, No.
I give you blessings; Happiness is up to you.

I asked God to spare me pain.
God said, No.
Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to me.

I asked God to make my spirit grow.
God said, No.
You must grow on your own! But I will prune you to make you fruitful.

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said, No.
I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things.

I ask God to help me LOVE others, as much as He loves me.
God said...Ahhhh, now you're starting to understand.

Last edited by RedeZra; 03-05-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #663
RedeZra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
We're not the ego. The ego is the illusion we're seperate from God. It's not real. It's an illusion.

so we know

philosophically

now we need

direct experience

Last edited by RedeZra; 03-05-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #664
RedeZra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
imagine "God" is a circle.

Put 4 points within the circle in different places.

give each point in the circle free will.

Let each point continually expand it's Self awareness, through Free Will choices and completely unique experiences of it's identity, until it realizes that it is the entire circle.

Note that each point took a different view point and a different route to get to teh awareness that the point is the circle.

Now imagine the point remains, yet it has grown to the size of the circle.

The point of awareness, the unique individualization that is the point, is the circle, yet it is the point. So are the other 3. All four are One, because they are the circle, yet they remain the point.

Now Each circle will go to another sheet of paper and play the game again, this time, creating a circle with their own consciousness, which they have expanded to the circle, and putting four new limited points of awareness within the circle. What is One, is now, four, then 16, then 64 when each one of the four points in the sixteen circles becomes fully Self realized that it also is the fullness of the circle.

let us now thank God

that it is He who Creates

and not Chakras

how can a point of view within an all-encompassing circle

overflow this circle

and then go to another piece of paper lol

you know the meaning of all-encompassing yes

Im sorry to say but you just cannot get bigger than God
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #665
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Good Point Redezra
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.
There are many books out there on "spirituality" The moment I hear of one saying you can be greater than Jesus I run a mile taking my soul with me.
Christ intercedes is The Saviour.

Greater than the Father? My Creator.
Yes greater than an earthly father, God the Creator is not an earthly father.

Teachings and there are many of them that quote Jesus out of context, might lead me one day out in the desert waiting for a ufo,or in an underground shelter, to save me from Armageddon.
The date of Armageddon has been shifted so many time by the Jehovah witnesses and others, to be unbelievable. All these dates passed without event, just another day

The ego loves drama, specialness. In a proper schemes of things one teacher tends to be the next step from the previous, not different just a bit more advanced, not revolutionary, same truth as always told by the mystics, a crosscheck to the validity of the other teachers. There is no secret held by those enlightened, why would there be?

Following your heart is fine when the Buddic third eye of discernment is open, up till then heart is swayed by feel good emotion, it is not true spiritual heart.

Namaste Chris.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #666
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

so we know

philosophically

now we need

direct experience
I think this is a very important point RedeZra

I believe Jesus when he said the Kingdom of Heaven is within.
I have experienced the love of God and the bliss that accompanied that.
I am also very aware of the power of prayer.
But I have not truly experienced on going heaven within as a subjective reality.

The hold of ego is greatly reduced in me, the mind is virtualy silent, peace is within me.
All this has come about through surrendering each thought as it came up and resisting labeling and judgmental-ism to the best of my ability..

The wise sage will give information that is within your ability to understand.
When you are ready you will hear and take on board the famous statement by Ramna.
"The world that you are trying to save doesnt even exist"

At he moment I can accept that intellectually and I believe that it is so and may well experience that reality some day. The world I live in is still very real but not so overwhelming as it was.

it is all very well to say accept that state Now. If it was that easy the whole world would be in it. However if I stay in the present moment it will be true in the present moment. Now theres a thought.

"Be in the world but not of it" Im getting there.
I no longer feel the need to save the world but contribute as best I can to the well being of others.

There is a process a journey in coming home.
I listen to those who are enlightened as they are in that state, Christ-consciousness.
We may all be in that state sooner than we expect, who knows?
I can but hope and pray this is so.

chris
Namaste
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #667
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Been a quiet day for which I am grateful.
Good night my friends
Chris
Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #668
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Quote:

so we know

philosophically

now we need

direct experience
Yes the experience .. this is what makes the entire difference

A rather long text below but a jewel too for all to enjoy .

THE MIRROR OF ESSENTIAL POINTS

A Letter in Praise of Emptiness From Nyoshul Khenpo Jamyang
Dorje to his Mother

I pay homage at the lotus feet of Tenpai Nyima,
Who is inseparable from Dharma-lord Longchen Rabjam
And perceives the natural state of emptiness
Of the ocean-like infinity of things.

A letter of advice I offer to you, my noble mother Paldzom;
Listen for a while without distraction.

Staying here without discomfort,
I am at ease and free from worries
In a state of joyful mind.
Are you well yourself, my dear mother?

Here, in a country to the West,
There are many red and white skinned people.
They have all kinds of magic and sights,
Like flying through the skies
And moving like fish in the waters.
Having mastery over the four elements,
They compete in displaying miracles
With thousands of beautiful colours.

There is an endless amount of spectacles,
Like designs of rainbow colours,
But like a mere dream, when examined,
They are the mistaken perceptions of the mind.

All activities are like the games children play;
If done, they can never be finished.
They are only completed once you let be,
Like castles made of sand.

But this not the whole story;
All the dharmas of Samsara and Nirvana,
Though thought to be permanent, they do not last.
When examined, they are but empty forms,
That appear without existence.
Although unreal, they are thought to be real,
And when examined, they are unreal like an illusion.

Look outward at the appearing objects,
And like the water in a mirage,
They are more delusive than delusion.
Unreal like dreams and illusions,
They resemble reflected moon and rainbows.

Look inward at your own mind!
It seems quite exciting, when not examined.
But when examined, there is nothing to it.
Appearing without being, it is nothing but empty.
It cannot be identified saying, "that's it!"
But is evanescent and elusive like mist.

Look at whatever may appear
In any of the ten directions.
No matter how it may appear,
The thing in itself, its very nature,
Is the sky-like nature of mind,
Beyond the projection and dissolution of thought and
concept.

Everything has the nature of being empty.
When the empty looks at the empty,
Who is there to look at something empty?
What is the use of many classifications,
Such as 'being empty' and 'not empty'
As it is illusion looking at illusion,
And delusion watching delusion?

"The effortless and sky-like nature of the mind,
The vast expanse of insight,
Is the natural state of all things.
In it, whatever you do is all right,
However you rest, you are at ease."
This was said by Jetsun Padmasambhava
And the great siddha Saraha.

All the conceptual designs,
Such as "it's two!" or "it's not two!"
Leave them like the waves on a river,
To be spontaneously freed in themselves.

The great demon of ignorant and discursive thought
Causes one to sink in the ocean of samsara.
But when freed from this discursive thought,
There is the indescribable state, beyond conceptual mind.

Besides mere discursive thoughts,
There is not even the words of 'samsara' and 'nirvana'.
The total calming down of discursive thought
Is the suchness of Dharmadhatu.

Not made complex by complex statements,
This unfabricated single bindu
Is emptiness, the natural state of mind.
So it was said by the Sugata.

The essence of whatever may appear,
When simply left to itself,
Is the unfabricated and uncorrupted view,
The Dharmakaya, emptiness mother.

All discursive thought is emptiness,
And the seer of the emptiness is discursive thought.
Emptiness does not destroy discursive thought,
And discursive thought does not block emptiness.

The fourfold emptiness of the mind itself
Is the ultimate of everything.
Profound and tranquil,free from complexity,
Uncompounded luminous clarity,
Beyond the mind of conceptual ideas:
This is the depth of the mind of the Victorious Ones.

In this there is not a thing to be removed,
Nor anything that needs to be added.
It is merely the immaculate
Looking naturally at itself.

In short, when the mind has fully severed
The fetters of clinging to something,
All the points are condensed therein.
This is the tradition of the supreme being Tilopa
And of the great pandita Naropa.

Such a profound natural state as this,
Is among all the kinds of bliss,
The wisdom of great bliss.
Among all kinds of delight
It is the king of supreme delight.
It is the supreme fourth empowerment
Of all the tantric sections of the secret mantras.
It is the ultimate pointing out instruction.

The view of 'Samsara and Nirvana Inseparable',
And that of Mahamudra, of Dzogchen, the Middle Way and
others,
Have many various titles
But only one essential meaning.
This is the view of Lama Mipham.

As an aid to this king of views
One should begin with Bodhicitta,
And conclude with dedication.

In order to cut off through skilful means
The fixation on an ego, the root of Samsara,
The king of all great methods
Is the unsurpassable Bodhicitta.

The king of perfect dedication
Is the means for increasing the roots of virtue.
This is the special teaching of Shakyamuni
Which is not found with other teachers.

To accomplish complete enlightenment
More than this is not necessary
But less than this will be incomplete.
This swift path of the three excellences,
Called the heart, eye and lifeforce,
Is the approach of Longchen Rabjam.

Emptiness, the wish-fulfilling jewel,
Is unattached generosity.
It is uncorrupted discipline.
It is angerless patience.
It is undeluded exertion.
It is undistracted meditation.
It is the essence of prajna.
It is the meaning in the three yanas.

Emptiness is the natural state of mind.
Emptiness is the non-conceptual refuge.
Emptiness is the Absolute Bodhicitta.
Emptiness is the Vajrasattva of absolving evils.
Emptiness is the Mandala of perfect accumulations.
Emptiness is the Guru Yoga of Dharmakaya.

To abide in the natural state of emptiness
Is the 'calm abiding' of shamatha,
And to perceive it vividly clear
Is the 'clear seeing' of vipasyana.

The view of the perfect Development Stage,
The wisdom of bliss and emptiness in the Completion Stage,
The non-dual Great Perfection,
And the single bindu of Dharmakaya,
All these are included within it.

Emptiness purifies the karmas.
Emptiness dispels the obstructing forces.
Emptiness tames the demons.
Emptiness accomplishes the deities.

The profound state of emptiness
Dries up the ocean of passion.
It crumples the mountain of anger.
It illuminates the darkness of stupidity.
It calms down the gale of jealousy.
It defeats the illness of the kleshas.
It is a friend in sorrow.
It destroys conceit in joy.
It conquers in the battle with Samsara.
It annihilates the four Maras.
It turns the eight worldly dharmas into same taste.
It subdues the demon of ego-fixation.
It turns negative conditions into aids.
It turns bad omens into good luck.
It causes to manifest complete enlightenment.
It gives birth to the Buddhas of the three times.
Emptiness is the Dharmakaya mother.

There is no teaching higher than emptiness.
There is no teaching swifter than emptiness.
There is nn teaching more excellent than emptiness.
There is no teaching more profound than emptiness.

Emptiness is the 'knowing of one that frees all.'
Emptiness is the supreme king of medicines.
Emptiness is the nectar of immortality.
Emptiness is spontaneous accomplishment beyond effort.
Emptiness is enlightenment without exertion.

By meditating emptiness
One feels tremendous compassion
Towards the beings obscured, like ourselves,by the belief in
a self,
And Bodhicitta arises without effort.

All qualities of the path and bhumis
Will appear naturally without any effort,
And one will feel a heartfelt conviction
Regarding the law of the infallible effect of actions.

If one has but one moment of certainty
In this kind of emptiness,
The tight chain of ego-clinging
Will shatter into pieces.
This was said by Aryadeva.

More supreme than offering to the Sugatas and their sons
All the infinite Buddha fields
Filled with the offering of gods and men;
Is to meditate on emptiness.

If the merit of resting evenly
Just for an instant in this natural state
Would take on concrete form,
Space could not contain it.

The peerless Lord of the sages, Sakyamuni,
For the sake of this profound emptiness,
Threw his body into pyres of fire,
Gave away his head and limbs,
And performed hundreds of other austerities.

Although you fill the world with huge mounds
Of presents of gold and jewels,
This profound teaching on emptiness,
Even when searched for, is hard to find.
This is said in the Hundred Thousand Verses of Prajna
Paramita.

To meet this supreme teaching
Is the splendid power of merit
Of many aeons beyond count.

In short, by means of emptiness,
One is, for the benefit of oneself,
Liberated into the expanse of the unborn Dharmakaya,
The manifest complete enlightenment
Of the four Kayas and the five Wisdoms.
The unobstructed display of the Rupakaya
Will then ceaseslessly arise to teach whoever is in need,
By stirring the depths of Samsara for the benefit of others
Through constant, all-pervading spontaneous activity.
In all the Sutras and Tantras this is said
To be the ultimate fruition.

How can someone like me put into words
All the benefits and virtues hereof,
When the Victorious One with his vajra tongue
Cannot exhaust them, even if he speaks for an aeon?

The glorious Lord, the supreme teacher,
Who gives the teachings on emptiness,
Appears in the form of a human being,
But his mind is truly a Buddha.

Without deceit and hypocrisy
Supplicate him from your very heart,
And without needing any other expedient,
You will attain enlightenment in this very life.
This is the manner of the All-Embodying Jewel
Which is taught in the Tantras of the Great Perfection.
When you have this jewel in the palm of your hand,
Do not let it meaninglessly go to waste.

Learning, like the stars in the sky,
Will never come to an end through studies.
What is the use of all the various kinds
Of the many teachings requested and received?
What is the use of any practice which is higher than
emptiness?

Do not aim at having many ascetic costumes,
Such as carrying a staff and wearing braids and animal
skins.
Leaving the elephant back in your house,
Do not go searching for its footprints in the mountains.

Mother, meditate the essence of the mind,
As it is taught by the guru, the Vajra Holder,
And you will have the essence of the essence
Of all the eighty-four thousand teachings.
It is the heart nectar of a billion
Learned and accomplished ones.
It is the ultimate practice.

This advice from the core of the heart
Of the fallen monk Jamyang Dorje,
Is the purest of the pure essence
From the bindu of my life blood.
Therefore keep it in your heart, mother.

These few words of heart advice
Were written in a beautiful country-side,
The city of the spacious blue sky,
Rivaling the splendour of divine realms.

To the devoted Chokyi Nodzom,
My dear and loving mother,
And to my own devoted students,
I offer this letter of advice.

This letter to my students was composed by one who goes by
the name 'Khenpo', the Tibetan Jamyang Dorje, in the
Dordogne Herbal Valley of Great Bliss, in the country of
France beyond the great ocean in the western direction.

May virtue and auspiciousness ensue!

Bodichitta:

In Sanskrit, bodhi means "awakened" and chitta means "mind" or "heart." Bodhichitta -- "awakened heart-mind" -- is the compassionate wish to realize enlightenment for all beings, not just oneself. Through bodhichitta, the desire to attain enlightenment transcends the narrow interests of the individual self.

Love Always
mudra
Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #669
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for this Mudra.
In his last life time Dr David Hawkins was on the path of negation and ended up in the void, he describes it in some detail. it felt complete but was empty of Love so he found himself back for another life time , this one, in which he discovered that there was misunderstanding of what the Buddha had taught. He meant no thing-ness (formless) not nothingness the void. He the Buddha taught giving up attachment to love, not giving up Love. That may clear any confusion.
We are very fortunate to have a teacher who nort only remembers pst life but in between lives also.
Channeling is all very well in a few cases, but you cant beat subjective experience,
The teacher is not to be worshiped only God. The teaching just points and is of God.
God-men are not the full vibration of the infinite formless wonder we call God, that created all tat is Holy and Divine. Words of course are not it.
Silence so important.

An Eckhart quote. "No self no problem"
More clutters up what we are -- less reveals Truth. Ultimate is formless Love, beyond measure. Unexpressable; but knowable by discovery of the Presence within, which is revealed using the traditional methods, no secrets, open to all.
Spirituality is open, most religions tried to keep secret that which was known (experientially )and made available to all by the Mystics.
Jesus was a mystic,( a Master of the formless -nonlinear).

Christ the Saviour. The Christ consciousness within all, waiting patiently to be discovered.

Chris
Namaste
Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #670
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

What David Hawkins said gels with my subjective imagery or truths. Also Buddha did not quite say "suffering", but more closely translated as "separation". Right about detachment, more technically the unfixing of polarities and their degraded games. Take the compulsion out of everything.

For example, I can still eat, but the compulsions surrounding eating are almost non-existent, and it is even more so neither good nor bad, simply a preference (or not).

It's late and maybe that's why I can't quite see the connection between ego and removing compulsions or fixations, dualities/polarities.
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 AM   #671
truthseekerdan
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Christ the Saviour. The Christ consciousness within all, waiting patiently to be discovered.

Chris
Namaste
Chris, just noticed that you are one letter short of "Christ".
truthseekerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #672
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseekerdan View Post
Chris, just noticed that you are one letter short of "Christ".
One letter can make an "L" of a difference. "T" hats true.
Good morning Dan.
Have a nice day.
Christopher.
Namaste
Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #673
truthseekerdan
Avalon Senior Member

Chris, just testing your hmmm, "ego"! Played it safe this time...

Have a nice day too, my friend.

Namaste
truthseekerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #674
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis5 View Post
What David Hawkins said gels with my subjective imagery or truths. Also Buddha did not quite say "suffering", but more closely translated as "separation". Right about detachment, more technically the unfixing of polarities and their degraded games. Take the compulsion out of everything.

For example, I can still eat, but the compulsions surrounding eating are almost non-existent, and it is even more so neither good nor bad, simply a preference (or not).

It's late and maybe that's why I can't quite see the connection between ego and removing compulsions or fixations, dualities/polarities.
Morning early swan 4.44 am here.
Ego is desire. Wanting-ness that is never satisfied -- give me more
enlightenment is a desire-less state. However anything wholesome would be enjoyed.
yet if consumption was interrupted there would be no desire to resume.
DH says yes there are polarities ie North and south but they are not opposites till we say so. Hot and cold are different graduations on a temperature scale.

Evil is the absence of Love.

You are doing great my friend.

With Love
Chris
Old 03-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #675
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseekerdan View Post
Chris, just testing your hmmm, "ego"! Played it safe this time...

Have a nice day too, my friend.

Namaste
Im in a frivolous state of mind Dan.
Good to spend time with friends.
My little pet ego says.
E-go here E-go there. E-go chasing after clouds. E-go missing what is insid-er in-form-ation.

If you can follow the logic of that your a Scorpio or close to one.
Spirituality doesnt have to be serious
Ch