Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default "Webcam" from Space-Envisat on Wilkins Ice Shelf

Webcam’ from Space – Envisat observing Wilkins Ice Shelf

12 December 2008
In light of recent developments that threaten to lead to the break-up of the Wilkins Ice Shelf, ESA is making daily satellite images of the ice shelf available to the public via the 'Webcam' from Space web page in order to monitor the developments as they occur.

The Wilkins Ice Shelf, a broad plate of floating ice off the coast of the Antarctic Peninsula, has undergone many changes in 2008. Due to the warming in the Antarctic spring (late November), newly formed rifts were discovered that scientists predict could lead to the opening of the ice bridge that connects the ice shelf to two islands, Charcot and Latady.
If the ice bridge were to open, it could put the entire ice shelf at risk of disintegrating.

ESA’s Envisat acquires images of the ice shelf daily with its Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar (ASAR) instrument. These images are updated automatically on the Wilkins 'Webcam' from Space web page and placed in an animation to allow visitors to spot changes between acquisitions. Individual images can also be viewed in the image archive (accessible from right navigation bar).

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM2DKSTGOF_index_0.html
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: "Webcam" from Space-Envisat on Wilkins Ice Shelf

I imagine I could go google this, but since I'm inherently lazy and just taking a break from grading finals in my classes, I'll ask - the Wilkins Ice Shelf is already floating, right? So if it melts, it's not going to appreciably change the water level of the oceans. It's when Ice on land melts into the ocean that the water level rises, as I recall.

Not that this is not problematic for other reasons, I recognize, but I was just thinking about the rising seawater levels - and this won't affect them, right?

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: "Webcam" from Space-Envisat on Wilkins Ice Shelf

Right!, floating ice when it melts has equal displacement. Of course if enough of it melts it could change the salinity of the oceans which would effect alot more stuff.

Last edited by Dantheman62; 12-17-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote