Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default UK terror strategy to be updated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7649763.stm
The government is updating its counter-terrorism strategy to focus more on preventing the radicalisation of Muslims, the BBC has learned.

Officials are increasingly aware of a threat from loners unconnected to al-Qaeda who have become radicalised.

A top priority for the government's strategy, known as Contest, will be reducing the supply of terror recruits.

Working with local communities and dealing with the role of the internet will be key to the updated strategy.

The government's terrorist threat level has remained pegged at its second highest rating - severe - since last summer.

'Severe' threat level

Senior Whitehall officials say the police and security service are working near capacity and the threat level is unlikely to be reduced soon.

They say that it currently lies at the high end of severe, with no sign of it being downgraded.

There is an increased awareness that threats are coming not just from core al-Qaeda in Pakistan, and affiliated groups based in north and east Africa, but also from loners and groups unconnected to al-Qaeda.

FROM THE TODAY PROGRAMME

More from Today programme

The BBC's security correspondent, Gordon Corera, said the government's Contest strategy was based on the "four Ps" - prevent, pursue, protect and prepare.

He said the government had recognised that it was the first of these - preventing the radicalisation of individuals - that was currently the weakest link in the chain which needed greater focus.

The updated strategy is expected to be completed later this year.

Reminds me of this scenario unfolding-obsolete man and the power of the state!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPrpxwj-lwI
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
iainl140285
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: UK terror strategy to be updated

Hi,

In line with this, the BBC has also release its "what to do in a nuclear attack"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7648042.stm

Worrying times

Peace
Iain
iainl140285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Tuza

Default Re: UK terror strategy to be updated

With all the reading and research I've done I don't trust most Western Governments now. I mean how can we. There has bad as the US.