Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default 10 Reasons to Stop Eating Beef (and other Fast Food)

10 Reasons to Stop Eating Beef (and other Fast Food)

by Jonathan Campbell

Beef-eating is portrayed in the U.S. almost as a patriotic endeavor. Our favorite sports heroes - from Michael Jordan to Drew Bledsoe - are featured in McDonalds ads and toys. We are literally bombarded with ads for McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. But there is something very odd about all this. There are hints (or front page headlines) telling us that there is something wrong with all this beef consumption.

In fact, a quick study of the issues surrounding beef consumption finds some very disturbing facts:

1. Beef contains significant quantities of the most toxic organic chemical known - dioxin. This chemical is toxic in the trillionths of grams. (A trillionth of a gram, called a picogram, is one million millionth of a gram. A gram is about 1/30th of an ounce.) Dioxin has been linked to cancer, endometriosis, Attention Deficit Disorder (hyperactivity in children), reproductive systems defects in children, chronic fatigue syndrome, immune system deficiency, and rare nerve and blood disorders. A single hamburger (a little less than 1/4 lb, or 100 grams) contains up to 100 picograms of dioxin. That is 300 times as much as the EPA says is "acceptable" for a daily dose for an adult! There are some scientists who say that there is no acceptable dose; they say that any dose can cause toxic effects, because dioxin is a hormone disrupting chemical which changes the functioning of our cells, against which we have no defense. The dioxin comes from microscopic particles of ash from incinerators that have settled on grass and crops eaten by the beef cattle, pigs, and chickens. All farm animals are affected - even herds grown on "all-natural" feed. See dioxin.

2. The huge amount of beef that we consume, in combination with the usual side-orders of other fatty foods (such as french fries) and caffeine and refined sugars (cola beverages) appears to be one of the major causes of obesity in the U.S. and Europe. Beef is "dumped" into our schools by the beef industry and the USDA - beef producers are paid by the government for "surplus" beef (the vast amount they cannot sell) which is subsequently "donated" to school lunch programs, helping our children to get hooked on this unhealthy food.

3. Beef production is the major cause of the destruction of the world's rainforests. The high price of beef encourages ranchers to burn the forest to create new rangelands. The fragile, thin rainforest soil cover is quickly destroyed by grazing in 1-2 years, and the ranchers move on to burn another area, in a never-ending cycle of destruction. Thousands of species of plants and animals have already been destroyed forever, as well as straining the earth's ability to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen. At current rates, the rainforests will be totally destroyed in 30-50 years.

4. Beef production is the major cause of "desertification" around the world - the rapid degradation of marginal, low-rainfall soil areas into desert. The constant pounding of the hoofs of cattle disturbs and eventually destroys the delicate root systems which keep the topsoil layer intact. Erosion by winds or storms removes the topsoil, leaving the sand or clay subsoil layer behind.

5. Beef production is a serious social justice issue. Beef cattle and their grazing land take up nearly a quarter of the land mass of the earth, to supply beef to the U.S., Europe, and Japan. About one third of the world's grain harvest is used for feed for cattle instead of food for people. In the U.S., that figure is over 70 percent. It takes 16 pounds of grain to produce a single pound of beef. This, in a world where nearly a billion people lack enough food, is unjust. Beef production for the developed parts of the world is severely limiting the amount of food available for people in the poor and developing world.

6. Beef can harbor a deadly new germ, called e. coli O157:H7. This new germ is now a major cause of serious food poisoning. Beef and dairy cattle can carry the germ with no apparent adverse health effects. The germ, found in cattle feces, has contaminated beef and produce grown with cow manure. So far it has killed dozens of people and sickened thousands. In August, 1997, 25 million pounds of beef were recalled, the largest food recall in the world's history, because of O157:H7 contamination of beef destined to Burger King restaurants. The precautions against the germ - including cooking to 160º F (71º C) - reveals a disgusting side of beef production - there is no way to prevent fecal contamination during slaughter. See O157:H7.

7. The consumption of beef and fast food "restaurants" that promote it have created a new, super-exploitative work environment. High school students and people in poverty have learned an old social order - the sweatshop. The frenetic pace of a McDonalds or Burger King at lunch or dinner time is easily a match for the non-unionized factories and garment shops of the '20s in the U.S. (or most developing countries today). But this is the modern U.S. sweatshop, where we are all members of a "team" working for the common good - minimum wages and windfall profits.

8. Beef consumption has created a self-perpetuating and rapidly-expanding distortion of local economies all over the world. As more McDonalds "restaurants" are established and beef consumption rises, more arable land is consumed for grazing and cattle feed. In developing countries, the local economy changes from one based on local food markets and trade to one based on beef exports, enriching a few wealthy landowners and merchants and impoverishing the rest.

9. The "fast-food" industry giants that promote beef - McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's - have created and encouraged an artificial, plastic, uniform, standard "restaurant" environment that, because of their powerful advertising media, discourages diversity and local and ethnic culture in restaurants and in food choices. Beef - served as hamburgers - has been the driving force for this shift in how we view food and eating in the U. S.

10. The beef "fast-food" industry, notably McDonalds and Burger King, especially targets children in its marketing. As a result, millions of children (and in many cases, their parents) associate eating at those "restaurants" as a fun, positive, healthful eating experience. Obesity and other afflictions associated with excess animal fat intake and sedentary lifestyle are now affecting young adults and children in increasing numbers.

Sources: 1994 EPA Dioxin Reassessment, Dying From Dioxin by Lois Gibbs, Beyond Beef by Jeremy Rifkin, fact sheets from the McLibel case (Great Britain), Diet For A Small Planet by Francis Moore Lappe, Mother Jones magazine.
http://www.cqs.com/beef.htm
(Download a MS-Word 6 version for community organizing)
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
BeaTnik-BandiT
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: 10 Reasons to Stop Eating Beef (and other Fast Food)

I agree for:
Industrial production of beef and fast foods of all kinds ARE destructive.

But on the other hand, i would say that eating organic meat once in a while is beneficial.
To grow and harvest food with respect to nature and harmony is the key.

Last edited by BeaTnik-BandiT; 10-10-2008 at 03:39 PM.
BeaTnik-BandiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Good post. Large quantities of flesh are bad for us on every level. When you ingest a fresh green vegetable you are absorbing living energy. You actually share in the life force that impregnates and adorns the planet.

When you eat meat, you eat something that has been killed, usually in extremely unpleasant ways that you don't want to know about. There is no life force, just a life spent doomed followed by fear and blood. There is a spiritual dimension to this.

We are large primates. Our DNA is more than 98% identical to the other large apes, and our dietary needs are pretty much identical. We are extremely adaptable...we can live on most anything. Large apes are mostly vegetarian. Chimps in particular eat meat, and have even been known to engage in cannibalism. So I don't make a case for never touching flesh. But you are right: we eat way too much animal flesh, and we eat it in a bad, nasty form. McDonald's is real bad karma.

A good rule of thumb is that the more legs it has, the worse it is for ya. That's for warm-blooded animals of course. Arthropods are nutritious, too.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Genevieve
Avalon Senior Member

I for one agree totally with your post Carol!!!

And i'm not even condoning total vegetarianism!!

But the large scale production of beautiful animals ( i have a great affinity with cows - gorgeous creatures they are) to live a life of horror- force fed grain (all Omega 6 laden as opposed to grass fed Omega 3 fats) forced to eat MEATMEAL to encourage growth, stand all their life in their own faesces!! all to make a cheap burger at the end of a sweatshop line - NOOO NOOO that is NOT good food!!

I will look into the dioxin thing in more detail Carol - but i wonder if those "burnt" particles of ash actually may come from the MEATMEAL they feed the cattle??? I have been particularly interested in the Omega 6 Omega 3 fat relation in the human diet - and i cant post the sources right this moment BUT suffice to say that where an ideal diet would havea ratio of about 60/40 6/3 ratio - the modern diet is almost exclusively omega6!

When people used to eat meat it was primarily grass fed and therefore omega 6 free - but nowadays everything is grain fed and supplemented with further additions of meatmeal which is also Omega 6 rich.

All our processed foods have flours and fats included and none of them are Omega 3 sources.

The efffect a saturation of Omega 6 has on our body is that it "hardens" the cell walls on a molecular level which slows metabolism, hinders transfers of vital nutrients to cells as well as inhibiting the function of the endocrine system of the body. It has been observed as a potential precursor to various auto-immune diseases such as asthma, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis etc.

And apart from all that - before I had even seen a Mcdonalds in my entire life i was already outraged that vast amounts of south america were cleared to graze the cattle (before the allotments) so that some little fat kids in America could munch on a burger!!! lol Now that was a long time ago obviously BUT what the hell is gonna happen when a country the size of China decides it NEEDS a burger outlet on every street corner .....?
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
izz
Banned

what about the sentient life forms being murdered in the slaughter house ..

that SHOULD be concern number 1 !!!!!!!!

if man can only give selfish reasons ... what future does he have ...
#
NONE
izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Genevieve
Avalon Senior Member

Ohh thanks for reminding me Izz

The other point i really wanted to address was that while we may discuss the horrors and atrocities committed to animals and the land so that western society can continue its fast food life

- and we all talk about hoarding gold or other survival necessities in view of the "economic crash"

- i have not seen one thread about all those MILLIONS of starving desperate fearful people in the world who probably have NO IDEA of an economic crash and couldn't care less as long as they get to feed their children tomorrow!!!

Maybe the meek really WILL inherit the earth
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Jeff Delano
Avalon Senior Member

I have to admit this, I once had veal, and oh my god, it was the best ever thing I've eaten in my life. I just wanted to try it once, I knew what went in to making veal at the time so I didn't want to make a habit out of it. I'll never order it again, but I have to admit that it is delicious.

This was a restaurant though, it wasn't fast food.
Jeff Delano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Rumas
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.viddler.com/explore/theVashonWay/videos/66/

Here is a video with a hundred more reasons not to eat meat. Not just beef. It breaks my heart to see how animals are mistreated on this planet.

I stopped eating meat over a year ago. I feel better, with more energy. I love animals but I don't like the way mankind treats their animals. I feel by not eat them I am not contributing to the mistreatment.

What would humans do if they found a planet with other eatable life forms on it. Would they mistreat them with the same uncompassionate care? Perhaps this is another reason why humans are quarantined on this planet? If this is what humans do with their food? How will they treat other alien races they don't get along with?

With lots of other protein sources, like beans and nuts why eat meat?
Rumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Darren Swisher
Avalon Senior Member

1 month ago i stopped eating meat all together, I can say after only 1 month i feel better, have more energy, have lost 10 lbs, My blood pressure is down and i do not miss the "Flesh" at all. 100% whole fruits and veggies, Whole grains and natural juices.

I do not get into plugging things for people i will provide the link about the book that i have used.

http://www.ravediet.com/whatsinbook.htm

I just wanted to note, I did this for health reasons only. I still cook for my family and there is meat involved. I just choose not to partake in the flesh right now.

Thanks

Last edited by Darren Swisher; 10-10-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Darren Swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
izz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
Ohh thanks for reminding me Izz

- and we all talk about hoarding gold or other survival necessities in view of the "economic crash"

- i have not seen one thread about all those MILLIONS of starving desperate fearful people in the world who probably have NO IDEA of an economic crash and couldn't care less as long as they get to feed their children tomorrow!!!

Maybe the meek really WILL inherit the earth
yes i totally agree - all this talk of hoarding and martial law - when actually right now that is all fantasy albeit a dark fantasy for us in the west - but it is reality for many - and our focus should be on them RIGHT NOW ..

our selfish thoughts continue dont they - and that is what has got us into this mess we are in now .. all take and no giving back ..

the meek in ego but the strong in heart will certainly inherit the world ..
izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Mike_Jetson
Avalon Senior Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ur+daily+bread

A good piece of video art that also helps to highlight how much of a machine the food industry is where living animals are concerned. Poor quality compared to the DVD but none the less a decent watch if you havnt seen many of these factories
Mike_Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
tandiwe
Avalon Senior Member

Also non-organic beef and dairy products from cows contain traces of Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH). That's the thing they feed the cows to make them grow faster and fatter. It disrupts hormone imbalances in humans. Wonder where the obseity epidemic is coming from?
tandiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #13
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Sorry, can't live without my Whataburger...
Kahunamahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
BeaTnik-BandiT
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahunamahalo View Post
Sorry, can't live without my Whataburger...
HaHa !
Old 10-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #15
Sherab
Avalon Senior Member

I don't feel that eating meat is the issue, it's eating meat produced in factory farms.

The fact is that we survive off the deaths of others. Even being a vegetarian means that millions of bugs are killed to feed you, along with plenty of cute little rodents.

And another aspect of this is that, for better or worse, many of the species of domesticated animals depend on us for survival. The cows, chickens, and others animals we raise would not last five minutes in the wild, and they would probably go extinct. So why not create a symbiotic relationship: we raise you (humanely, of course) and then eat you, and when we die, we become grass and you eat us. It is the cycle, the way that nature works.

I think that consuming animals can be done in a humane, healthy way that benefits both species, and the earth.
Sherab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
Morgan
Avalon Senior Member

I most closely agree with Sherab, and I think there was one other who stated a similar viewpoint.

I really regret not having committed this information to my mind more thoroughly, but know it exists that vegetarianism is not the answer to all of our problems. I was a vegetarian for nearly 10 years, vegan for six of those, and I was quite ill by the end of that time. Adding meat and dairy back to my routine brought my health back up considerably.

I do disagree with commercial farming, factory farming, etc. I eat only organic animal products. We don't need to be inhumane and unsustainable in our practice of meat consumption. No answer is as simple as vegetarian vs. meat-eater. It's far more complicated than everyone just quitting meat.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Banned

I know a guy who's really against eating meat.

But he says that whenever he sees a dead deer on the side of the highway, he'll pick it up and bring it home if it's still fresh. He'll butcher it, put the meat in a big cooler, and share it with whoever. His thinking is that killing an animal is wrong, but if it's already dead by accident it would be wrong for it's death to be for nothing.

I gotta say that makes sense, though you won't catch me picking up roadkill to eat. Though I have eaten his venison many time, and I gotta admit- it's pretty damn good.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

I don't eat meat out of compassion for animals. After being a vegetarian for some time I detest meat now.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
Sir-Chi
Avalon Senior Member

Even though a true Alchemist can transmute any energies .... which is much of what Cayce always talked about .... changing the vibration of your food before you eat it .....

I'm focusing on a Ascending body .... and i'm looking forward to not rely on food all together. March 25th of this year my family and i become vegitarians. Even though we rarely ate meat (except for fish) but now no red meat ever and occasionally some fish.

There are tons of reasons all of which were put in the list of ten and someone else mentioned "how about the way we are even treating the animals" which happens to be the one that really pushed me over the line.

http://www.meat.org/

HAS EVERYONE SEEN THE MEATRIX SHORT CARTOON CLIPS?!?!?!
http://www.meatrix.com/ (they are excellent)

To a Rise in Consciousness
with much,
love, light and laughter
SC

Last edited by Sir-Chi; 10-12-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Sir-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
WalkingTurtle
Avalon Senior Member

I also stopped eating meat a month ago. I've always liked to eat meat and also had no problem with killing a hare or a chicken because I grow up on a farm but suddenly I couldn't eat it anymore and every time I tried to eat it I got sick. And somehow I started to feel and even hear the animals belonging to that. Now I feel much better and healthier then ever before. I've now realized that all that stuff you can find in super markets is mostly based on meat and that there are so little alternatives for meat replacement. The food industry seems to be based so much on animal slaughter. That is so repugnant!

WT
WalkingTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izz View Post
what about the sentient life forms being murdered in the slaughter house ..

that SHOULD be concern number 1 !!!!!!!!

if man can only give selfish reasons ... what future does he have ...
#
NONE
agreed !!! but i will eat meat if it comes to armageddon type scenarios, im near as damn it vegan. i will only eat what i kill myself. hope it wont come to that. been veggie since 2000.. eaten a piece of fish once because it was gift and i hadnt eaten for 3 days.. not been ill for the last 3 years at least.
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #22
Mike_Jetson
Avalon Senior Member

Im trying. Spaghetti bolognese makes it tough
Mike_Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #23
SIR GALAHAD
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumas View Post
http://www.viddler.com/explore/theVashonWay/videos/66/

Here is a video with a hundred more reasons not to eat meat. Not just beef. It breaks my heart to see how animals are mistreated on this planet.

I stopped eating meat over a year ago. I feel better, with more energy. I love animals but I don't like the way mankind treats their animals. I feel by not eat them I am not contributing to the mistreatment.

What would humans do if they found a planet with other eatable life forms on it. Would they mistreat them with the same uncompassionate care? Perhaps this is another reason why humans are quarantined on this planet? If this is what humans do with their food? How will they treat other alien races they don't get along with?

With lots of other protein sources, like beans and nuts why eat meat?
this is the most shocking sickess thing i have ever watched i just dont no what to say these people in these slaughter houses are actually getting off on this you can see it in there faces im lost for words i feel numb and sick to my core .

Last edited by SIR GALAHAD; 10-17-2008 at 08:30 PM.
SIR GALAHAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #24
BeaTnik-BandiT
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Delano View Post
I have to admit this, I once had veal, and oh my god, it was the best ever thing I've eaten in my life. I just wanted to try it once, I knew what went in to making veal at the time so I didn't want to make a habit out of it. I'll never order it again, but I have to admit that it is delicious.

This was a restaurant though, it wasn't fast food.
One has to listen to his body's cravings. If you feel you crave for meat,
it's probably because your body needs it.

By using your wisdom, you then say, 'hey i don't want an innocent young creature being killed'.
Instead, you say: 'i will choose a full grown organic beef that was respected in the process, and fed with good food.'

There seems to be different needs for different bodies: some are more protein type, some more in carbs, other vegetables etc...

On top of that, it seems that we all need animal proteins once in a while.
These needs are different more or less depending on your nutritional type.

In fact, i read somewhere (Stewart Swerdlow and Dr. J. Mercola) that it's scientifically proven that humans are a omnivorous species:
they will need an amount of animal protein for their DNA to replicate well,
and their body to stay healthy.

salute.

Last edited by BeaTnik-BandiT; 10-13-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:21 AM   #25
Reunite
Avalon Senior Member

ahhh..that's why the ancient hindu's in India didn't eat cows but worshipped them

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7830/cow.htm
Reunite is offline   Reply With Quote