Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

Default What makes your mind race ?

For those people who can't keep their mind still and quiet, i just read this article. I thought i'd share it with you.

"Everyone's mind races from time to time. When you are not focused on any one thing the brain tends to exercise itself in an attempt to sort through random thoughts and feelings just for the sake of doing so. To sort of, keep the "engines running." So often, this random stream of emotions and ideas stem from the sub-conscience mind by way of thought pictures or mental images, that may manifest more as obsessive mental clutter that you just replay constantly as your mind "races". In fact much of this is actually a very normal part of the cognitive process as long as you don't allow it to control your thoughts and feelings all of the time.

The trick is to actively exercise the mind by acknowledging the process so that you may begin to take control of these random brain storms (if you will) and direct this mental energy into a positive outcome. Chances are if your mind is racey, and you experience a lot of the same thought images over and over, it is your sub-conscience mind preparing to reveal something to your conscience self. This may be described as a "revelation" or "epiphany."

The best remedy for this random marathon of ideas is either hard work or meditation. When you involve yourself in something that requires much of your focus to complete the task you will find that the mind will eventually quiet itself naturally. This is actually a goood thing because when the mind slows down, it tends to work more efficiently and purposefully. Mental clarity can be achieved this way. When the mind is clear of all the clutter and racey thoughts, life will make much more sense.

Meditation is more of an active form of mental maintenance where as hard work would be considered more passive or distracting. Meditation is good because it teaches you to quiet the mind in an attempt to eventually control these seemingly random thought encounters into a sensible, easy to follow map to the true self. Although meditation requires a certain amount of discipline, it is a valuable skill that can be easily acquired with very little practice. Not unlike most things, the hardest part is getting started. As Plato said," The beginning is the most important part of the work."

To clarify, everyone experiences racey thoughts and mental clutter. By admitting to this very normal part of the human condition, you are in no way weird or mentally ill. In fact, people with overactive imaginations are usually very intelligent people. The fact of the matter is, thinkers think, and great thinkers think all the time. The problem is sometimes we do so much thinking that we eventually come to a place where we can't stop thinking. That inner monologue just will not turn itself off! That's when the mind kicks into overdrive and begins to take control over itself instead of allowing the individual to direct the cognitive process. This then leads to the racey thoughts and feelings of anxiety and so forth. At this point we often find ourselves lying in bed trying to negotiate a truce between our runaway brains and 40 winks (R.E.M sleep). Maybe the easy solution to this would be counting sheep, or more appropriately, sheeple "

Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
777 The Great Work
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What makes your mind race ?

I couldn't read the blue, so i made an adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henners View Post
For those people who can't keep their mind still and quiet, i just read this article. I thought i'd share it with you.

"Everyone's mind races from time to time. When you are not focused on any one thing the brain tends to exercise itself in an attempt to sort through random thoughts and feelings just for the sake of doing so. To sort of, keep the "engines running." So often, this random stream of emotions and ideas stem from the sub-conscience mind by way of thought pictures or mental images, that may manifest more as obsessive mental clutter that you just replay constantly as your mind "races". In fact much of this is actually a very normal part of the cognitive process as long as you don't allow it to control your thoughts and feelings all of the time.

The trick is to actively exercise the mind by acknowledging the process so that you may begin to take control of these random brain storms (if you will) and direct this mental energy into a positive outcome. Chances are if your mind is racey, and you experience a lot of the same thought images over and over, it is your sub-conscience mind preparing to reveal something to your conscience self. This may be described as a "revelation" or "epiphany."

The best remedy for this random marathon of ideas is either hard work or meditation. When you involve yourself in something that requires much of your focus to complete the task you will find that the mind will eventually quiet itself naturally. This is actually a goood thing because when the mind slows down, it tends to work more efficiently and purposefully. Mental clarity can be achieved this way. When the mind is clear of all the clutter and racey thoughts, life will make much more sense.

Meditation is more of an active form of mental maintenance where as hard work would be considered more passive or distracting. Meditation is good because it teaches you to quiet the mind in an attempt to eventually control these seemingly random thought encounters into a sensible, easy to follow map to the true self. Although meditation requires a certain amount of discipline, it is a valuable skill that can be easily acquired with very little practice. Not unlike most things, the hardest part is getting started. As Plato said," The beginning is the most important part of the work."

To clarify, everyone experiences racey thoughts and mental clutter. By admitting to this very normal part of the human condition, you are in no way weird or mentally ill. In fact, people with overactive imaginations are usually very intelligent people. The fact of the matter is, thinkers think, and great thinkers think all the time. The problem is sometimes we do so much thinking that we eventually come to a place where we can't stop thinking. That inner monologue just will not turn itself off! That's when the mind kicks into overdrive and begins to take control over itself instead of allowing the individual to direct the cognitive process. This then leads to the racey thoughts and feelings of anxiety and so forth. At this point we often find ourselves lying in bed trying to negotiate a truce between our runaway brains and 40 winks (R.E.M sleep). Maybe the easy solution to this would be counting sheep, or more appropriately, sheeple "

777 The Great Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
deb003
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What makes your mind race ?

This was a great reminer. Thank you 777.
You know I love doing things around the house. one thing at a time. Like fixing something. Especiallu working with tools. it's so peaceful to just focus on one thing at a time and time just stands still or I loose track of time.
Meditation is for me. VERY challenging to start! but once i sit still, i feel allot better afterwards, and yes, revelations of any kind come to my conscious mind later that day or that week or that year..
Thank You again!! I need to remember this when I'm on 5 different websites at a time.
mind clutter!
deb003 is offline   Reply With Quote