Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Question NASA has become a transition problem for Obama: OrlandoSentinel.com

Greeting's Avalonian's,

This is an interseting story....
NASA has become a transition problem for Obama

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...as-become.html
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Re: NASA has become a transition problem for Obama: OrlandoSentinel.com

If Obama cancelled or even thinks of cancelling the Orion project, I predict we will see a 'Dallas Plaza' moment arranged for him.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
LiquidSwordz
Avalon Senior Member

If i was Obama, i would scrap NASA period! NASA has gone downhill since it has gone to the moon. NASA has turned into a cash sink, for engineers to have a good, steady paying job, benefits, and retirement. What has NASA actually developed for the U.S and the world, since it has been operating? Machines that can turn urine, into drinking water? What a joke!

What good has NASA actually gave to the U.S, and its people? NOTHING! These bunch of morons are so focused on MARS, and 2020 man on the moon, that they have neglected our enviornment, education, and energy problems!

I say throw them on the streets, and have them work at Wal-Mart!
LiquidSwordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSwordz View Post

What good has NASA actually gave to the U.S, and its people? NOTHING! These bunch of morons are so focused on MARS, and 2020 man on the moon, that they have neglected our enviornment, education, and energy problems!

They are a space agency. Environment and the like belong to other agencies.

North American Space Administration = NASA.

Because of NASA we have satellites, GPS, telephones, television signals... No space access, no goodies.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSwordz View Post
If i was Obama, i would scrap NASA period! NASA has gone downhill since it has gone to the moon. NASA has turned into a cash sink, for engineers to have a good, steady paying job, benefits, and retirement. What has NASA actually developed for the U.S and the world, since it has been operating? Machines that can turn urine, into drinking water? What a joke!

I say throw them on the streets, and have them work at Wal-Mart!
Pretty strong statement. There have been many advances in the sciences because of the space program. Some good engineers there too. My uncle was one of them. Why are you so negative about NASA?
hueyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

Heres a sampling of what NASA has done for us:

1. SATELLITE TELEVISION: Our world would not be the same without the satellites now in orbit around the Earth – all thanks to the space programme. They not only give us satellite broadcast television and radio but also power telecommunications including mobile phones and terrestrial TV networks.

2. SAT NAV: The global positioning system on which our in-car navigation systems are based was developed by the US Department of Defense. They would not exist without the space satellites.

3. GOOGLE EARTH: Mapping was never as accurate as the images we can now get thanks to satellites which from space can even see a dog in your back garden.

4. VIRTUAL REALITY: Nasa-developed research and advanced technology devices allow users to project themselves into a computer-generated environment. When coupled with a stereo-viewing device and appropriate software, it creates a feeling of actually being there.

5. ARTIFICIAL LIMBS: Prosthetic limbs are not new but advancements in space robotics are being adapted to create more lifelike, functioning limbs.

6. DIALYSIS: Modern machines to do the work of the kidneys – for patients waiting for or unable to have transplants – were developed as a result of a Nasa-developed chemical process.

7. MRI AND CAT SCANS: Nasa did not invent magnetic resonance imaging but it has contributed to major advances thanks to research into computer enhancement of pictures sent from the moon. Digital image processing has led to enhanced images of human organs.

8. BREAST CANCER SCREENING: A silicon chip originally developed for Nasa’s Hubble Space Telescope makes the testing process less painful, less scarring and less expensive than traditional biopsy methods.

9. ULTRASOUND TO ASSESS SKIN DAMAGE: An advanced instrument uses ultrasound technology to assess the depth of burn damage immediately, improving patient treatment and saving lives in serious burn cases.

10. EAR THERMOMETER: Removing the need to use intrusive, mercury-based thermometers on newborn babies and critically ill patients, the ear thermometer uses infrared astronomy technology to measure the amount of energy emitted by the eardrum. This is how Nasa measures the temperature of stars and planets.

11. ATTENTION GETTER: Techniques used to measure brain activity in Nasa pilots are being used to improve attention spans for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

12. ROAD SAFETY: The cutting of grooves in concrete to increase traction was developed to reduce space shuttle accidents on runways. It is now applied to roads and has cut US traffic accidents by 85 per cent.

13. IMPROVED RADIAL TYRES: Goodyear developed a fibrous material five times stronger than steel for Nasa to use in parachutes to land the Viking explorers on Mars. They expanded the technology to produce a harder-wearing radial car tyre.

14. LANDMINE REMOVAL: Surplus rocket fuel is used for a flare that can burn a hole in the case of a mine and burn away its explosive content.

15. STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS: Nasa software engineers have created thousands of computer programs to find imperfections in aerospace structures and components which has proved invaluable in air safety.

16. WATER FILTERS: Water-cleaning technology has existed since the early Fifties but Nasa came up with ways to filter it in more extreme situations. The activated charcoal with silver ions used in commercial filter systems cleans the water and kills bacteria.

17. FREEZE-DRIED FOOD: Nasa carried out extensive research to reduce the weight of food to be carried on missions. The result was a method for cooking food, freezing it quickly, then slowly heating it in a vacuum chamber to remove the ice crystals. The end product weighs one fifth of the original, while retaining 98 per cent of its nutrition.

18. TEMPER FOAM: Nasa developed a soft, high-energy-absorbent padding to improve crash protection in aircraft. Now “memory foam” is used in mattresses, pillows, military and civilian vehicles, sports safety equipment, amusement park rides, furniture and artificial limbs.

19. SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES: A modified version of a process developed by Nasa involves coating the lenses with a film of carbon that helps avoid scratches and decreases friction and reduces water spots.

20. RIBBED SWIMSUITS: The swimsuit worn by Olympic sensation Michael Phelps was developed with Nasa technology. Aerodynamic research came up with material which give 15 per cent faster speeds than any other swimsuit thanks to small, barely visible grooves that reduce friction and drag.

21. AERODYNAMIC GOLF BALLS: Technology is behind the design of golf balls with 500 dimples in a pattern of 60 triangles which allows the ball to maintain its initial speed longer and produce a more stable flight for better accuracy and distance.

22. ATHLETIC SHOES: Moon-boot material has been incorporated into running shoe midsoles to improve shock absorption and provide better stability and motion control.

23. PERSONAL ALARM SYSTEMS: A pen-sized ultrasonic transmitter used by prison guards, teachers, the elderly and disabled to call for help is based on space technology.

24. SPACE PENS: Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow to the ballpoint. The space pen was developed for the gravity-free space environment so that the ink cartridge contains pressurised gas to push the ink towards the ballpoint, so you can write upside down.

25. CORDLESS POWER TOOLS: The household and DIY products firm Black & Decker came up with a portable drill capable of extracting core samples from below the lunar surface during the Apollo missions. The same technology has been used on cordless miniature vacuum cleaners.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Swanny
I dont need a label !

hueyii I think it's safe to say they would have found most if not all of those things and maybe even more without nasa, some of them we really don't even need.
GOOGLE EARTH my life was ok before they gave us that
Sat nav, I found my way home tonight and for back up I still have a map in my car

I'm one of those weird people that think man has yet to stand on the moon
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post

They are a space agency. Environment and the like belong to other agencies.

North American Space Administration = NASA.

Because of NASA we have satellites, GPS, telephones, television signals... No space access, no goodies.
HaHa try National Aeronautics and Space Administration= NASA
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

I would agree if you are following the train of thought that says we dont need many of the things we have created. Communal lifestyles, organic food and being one with nature is more sustainable. Even with this train of thought I think we would overpopulate this world and need to colonize other planets but thats another topic.

Its important to consider that we probably would not be communicating right now, in this forum, had it not been for scientific advances... some of which resulted from the space program. Things we do every day would be affected by not ever having a space program.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
isotelesis
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: NASA has become a transition problem for Obama: OrlandoSentinel.com

They have to make the organization more efficient, command and control will give way to coordinate and cultivate, they should be focusing on ways to capitalize on space tourism. Hopefully their relationship with Google will create a new agency devoted to being the nexus for information technology and innovation research for the benefit of the world.
isotelesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotelesis View Post
They have to make the organization more efficient, command and control will give way to coordinate and cultivate, they should be focusing on ways to capitalize on space tourism. Hopefully their relationship with Google will create a new agency devoted to being the nexus for information technology and innovation research for the benefit of the world.
Agreed. There are private enterprises working on Space travel. Some of their efforts are promising. Nasa's budget will get crushed soon with all of the financial woes...
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
mysticphoebos
Avalon Senior Member

Scrap NASA and give us all the black budget goodies, then we will see why we don't need NASA.
mysticphoebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #13
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

I read the list to put up of "good" that came out of NASA.....well alot of what you mentioned also caused much pain and agony on us. Manograms & MRI's cause cancer. X-ray machines cause cancer.

I think we could of made it. Now if you say the medical information, I have one question for you.........where did the deseases come from?

Mind you, I am not putting down anyone that works for NASA. I'm just saying we got as much "bad" as we got "good" from the space program. In fact maybe even more "bad"
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 AM   #14
isotelesis
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: NASA has become a transition problem for Obama: OrlandoSentinel.com

NASA has a very interesting culture, they are among the toughest employees because they have to learn to handle pressure, however it is very expensive and the incentives to innovate have to be more oriented with the goals of society. The black budget stuff is for the national laboratories which focus on defense such as LLNL, which is no longer administered by the public UC system. We are all waiting to see what it will take to make it a 21st century culture, in my opinion transparency and collaboration will be essential, particularly through web 3.0 and the broader international community. Too much paperwork, too many who should be retiring soon, the public cannot afford to prop up all the cushy jobs in government. There is a lot of interesting science go on there, but little incentive to remain competetive or relevant, the race has moved onto cyberspace, not simply outerspace. It doesn't surprise me that some conflicts of interest have been discovered, there is a lot the president-elect probably doesn't know about these programs, they shouldn't need to be using public money if they aren't demonstrating their value to society. They should be looking for more ways to base their budget on market and commercial driven methods.

Last edited by isotelesis; 12-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.
isotelesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #15
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

24. SPACE PENS: Most pens depend on gravity to make the ink flow to the ballpoint. The space pen was developed for the gravity-free space environment so that the ink cartridge contains pressurised gas to push the ink towards the ballpoint, so you can write upside down.

interesting point here. nasa spent a million dollars to invent a pen that would work in zero gravity....the russians gave their cosmonauts a pencil!
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #16
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Now, with all that being said... NASA's contribution of inventions for our use in society; funded by our tax dollars, where is the list of ALL the inventions that have been patented and are not available for our use?

Where are all the inventions by individuals and small businesses that were purchased, destroyed, and/or shelved or removed from/for our use?

I want to see that list!

Last edited by Christo888; 12-12-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #17
scrufficus
Avalon Senior Member

Because of NASA we have satellites, GPS, telephones, television signals... No space access, no goodies.[/QUOTE]

These are some things that we really do not need.especially the television.The propaganda peddler it should be renamed.
scrufficus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
AussieG
Avalon Senior Member

The Iron mountain report suggested a space program as a hidy hole for money.
Whistle blowers claim NASA is nothing but a distraction front for the real space program.
For every public perception there is an alternative NWO motive.
The genuine Employees of NASA are a victim of this paradigm.
Of all the good technology that has been claimed by NASA. It pales into insignificance compared to the withheld free energy alone.
AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntruthseeker View Post
I read the list to put up of "good" that came out of NASA.....well alot of what you mentioned also caused much pain and agony on us. Manograms & MRI's cause cancer. X-ray machines cause cancer.

I think we could of made it. Now if you say the medical information, I have one question for you.........where did the deseases come from?

Mind you, I am not putting down anyone that works for NASA. I'm just saying we got as much "bad" as we got "good" from the space program. In fact maybe even more "bad"
Are you suggesting that NASA had a hand in creating diseases???? Please explain your logic on that please...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Wilhem Roentgen, a german physicist, produced and detected the first x-ray in 1895 and earned the first Nobel Prize in Physics in 1901. MRI and Ultrasound are not X-Ray machines and don't cause cancer. Mammography is very,very low dose x-ray that is much better to have done than not at all. In fact all newer x-ray machines I would say are very safe and not cancer causing at all! I worked on all types for 6 years as a service technician, from Mammography to Oncology to Cardiac to Urology.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote