Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

View Poll Results: Should there be a Reilgion sub-forum in Spirituality?
Yes - Religious topics should go in its own section. 40 51.95%
No - Religion is a part of spirituality - no need for a sub-forum. 37 48.05%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #26
100thmonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum in Spirituality? (Vote Here)

It seems the problem is more about the divisiveness of preaching than personal worldviews?

If so maybe that's an issue for the mods to manage on an incidental basis, rather than creating a seperate 'preaching' forum?

I am probably guilty of preaching too, even though I consider myself spiritual and not religious.

Personally, I'm drawn to these kind of issues though, so I'd find it helpful if the mods picked me up on certain incidents at the time, rather than feeling like I'd have to troll into someone's sub-turf to talk about the things I'm into...

I'd like us all to feel comfortable together, rather than an 'us vs them' thing arising.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #27
Dadrious
Avalon Senior Member

Problem is the religious believe they are simply spiritual.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #28
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Kevin, I like your polls man.

I stickied this poll, lets leave it stuck for a few days.

I voted yes. The reason I think that is that there is a distinct difference between new age spirituality and the more traditional religeous approaches. One needs a way to tune appropriately to the streams of information that are relevant.

From my perspective for example, the new-age spirituality is very different to the christian backed view of same, and I would vote to have the traditional views (not new-age) in a separate place.

If we do it, it will be an interesting challenge for the moderators to moderate the distinction.

A..
Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
arcora
Banned

First, call a spade a spade.

Your poll is about relegating any discussion of biblical thought to a subforum - Just say it out loud, we're all adults here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
If we do it, it will be an interesting challenge for the moderators to moderate the distinction.

A..
And that is because it is all intertwined.

Last edited by arcora; 11-03-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #30
Malletzky
Avalon Senior Member

There is no religion better then the other. I am an orthodox christian from Europe, but I respect all other religions / sub-religions across the world as well.

Our paths are different, but at the end we'll all meet each other "on the other side" and realise that it was all just an expression of our earthly ego.

So IMO, no need for a religion sub-forum! If there is any, then it is also fine for me. I must not participate.

There is sooo much more then "our" religions to learn about!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #31
Oneworld719
Avalon Senior Member

Once again Kevin great question,
I heard once that the Latin word for religion is 'to re-link' and to be spiritual is also the same. I feel keeping them in the same place is good...I have read the 'preaching syndrom' from both sides, Religious and Spiritual here in this place. I think what we need to remember is this...every human has their own path to follow and how they travel is uniquely and wonderfully their own. Whether the path be straight or crooked they all lead to one thing....and along that path all are continuing to cultivate and evolve the truth of themselves and the experiences of the 'being of human' in all it's wonderful expressions. No more sub-forms please, it's getting so confusing for us not so savvy forumers to keep up with all of it.
Thank You
Namasta
Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #32
gordon
Avalon Senior Member

Kevin - Project Avalon Spiritual Mediator would want EVERY topic that EVERY member has wrote about to be each topic sub-forum? Kevin should have his own sub-forum, so in that way we the members do not need to waste our time and energy reading his threads-posts.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #33
truthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Keep spirituality and religion together. Separation just reflects what many so-called 'religious' folk already do, especially within certain sects and factions of the, so-called, montheistic traditions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. So if we separate spirituality and religion into sub-forums or separate forums, are we not just reinforcing this separitist notion?

I personally have a spiritual perspective that I consider not to be religious. However, someone else might consider my beliefs to be 'religious' rather than 'spiritual'. I do not think there is a clear line between the two.

I respect the right of all to believe as they wish, even if I do not aggree. My only limit to this is when 'religious' or 'spiritual' belief is imposed upon the uninitiated. It thus becomes potentially harmful to those who are not able or are not in a position to discern. We are all at that stage at some point in our lives, usually during periods of major life change and personal crisis. This is when some of the more 'in your face' groups (some are defined as 'cults', but I have seen similar tactics carried out by mainstream evangelical and fundamentalist Christian groups as well) are able to take advantage of our vulnerability and innocence.

Some might say that religious leaders preach, whilst spiritual leaders teach. However, I do not think the distinction is as clear cut as that. Many apparent spiritual teachers are in fact preaching, imposing their beliefs and ideas upon others in the guise of spiritual wisdom. This is true within certain 'New Age' groups as well as within what most of us would refer to as 'cults' or 'religious' factions or sects. Within many, if not most, religious and spiritual teachers and leaders, there is a large dose of 'Ego' and the "I know best, because I have studied and/or received knowledge from a higher source" syndrome.

So, keep 'religion' and 'spirituality' together. Allow us posters to take responsibility for what we choose to read, write or believe. This helps us all to learn and practice discernment and discretion in our personal journey to truth and meaning. After all, we are all at different stages on our spiritual journey.

Best Wishes

Truthseeker (Andrew)
Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #34
Suriel

Wink Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum in Spirituality? (Vote Here)

Thank you for participating in this poll.
When I first created this poll,
I had my doubts because I know
what a sensitive issue this is for some people.
If this topic has made anyone feel uncomfortable,
I apologize.

The poll is split down the middle.
And if this comes up in the meeting,
more than likely they will not
create a sub-forum which will have
nothing to do with this thread.
They probably won't want to
do the work. And that is understandable.

However, if by chance a sub-forum
for Religion is created in the future,
that decision will be made by the admin.

Thanks for your participation,
Kevin

Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #35
gordon
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
And if this comes up in the meeting
Kevin, I have heard you talked about a 'meeting'. Maybe in this meeting, that is how and why Bill and Kerry would spend the member's $$$???
Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #36
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum? (Vote Here)

religion!?? maybe we should have a GOP and a democratic subforum for the liberal and conservative posters!!

im with 2infinity and gregarturo on this. we shouldve dropped our political leanings and religious views before we even got into this forum. we should be far beyond that already. sigh!

discussing ANY religious concept is a step in the wrong direction.

this is about each person making a one-on-one connection with the Creator. we dont need synagogues, temples, shrines, churches, or pagodas or any of those religious leaders anymore-- havent we moved past that already? havent we seen what religion has caused by dividing humanity over the centuries? i thought most here have thrown OFF societys shackles.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #37
gordon
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum? (Vote Here)

Quote:
religion!?? maybe we should have a GOP and a democratic subforum for the liberal and conservative posters!!

im with 2infinity and gregarturo on this. we shouldve dropped our political leanings and religious views before we even got into this forum. we should be far beyond that already. sigh!

discussing ANY religious concept is a step in the wrong direction.

this is about each person making a one-on-one connection with the Creator. we dont need synagogues, temples, shrines, churches, or pagodas or any of those religious leaders anymore-- havent we moved past that already? havent we seen what religion has caused by dividing humanity over the centuries? i thought most here have thrown OFF societys shackles.
That is a GREAT IDEA for Avalon. Kevin should want sub-forum FOR: synagogues, temples, shrines, churches, pagodas and religious c.r.a.p.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #38
Gale
Banned

Thumbs down Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum in Spirituality? (Vote Here)

Oh for gawd sake, the survival of the human race has nothing to do with religion and its perverted dogma.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
RedeZra
Avalon Senior Member

Religion becomes the legacy of a Spiritual being...
Religion without contact with the living Spiritual Heart is a dead corpse...

Man are abusing spirituality by using religion to serve selfish ends...

It is high time for the advent of another Spiritual Heart on earth to bury the religious corpses...and live and teach shining spiritual love and truth to mankind...no doubt in due time will man deteriorate and destroy this teachers legacy also...

so it goes...this wonderful Drama of Divinity ...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #40
AndyH
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneworld719 View Post
Once again Kevin great question,
I heard once that the Latin word for religion is 'to re-link' and to be spiritual is also the same.
The latin word is "religio".
It means "to bind". It can also be used to mean "restrain" or "hold back" or "group" depending on the context it is used.
Latin is a very precise language
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #41
dataeast
Avalon Senior Member

Yes, if the poll was still open then I'd vote for another forum for religion.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #42
Alexandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Stubler View Post
I do not think we need a separate sub-forum for "religion." What's next? A separate sub-forum for each separate religion? We are here to "share" imformation -- not argue over it and cram it down each others' throats.
Exactly. Would it not be better if everyone listened, on both sides, a little more, with an open mind and heart. Call it consideration, love, and respect for the other person's need to share. It is not important who is right and who is wrong. The important thing is that we help each other grow, without imposing our belief systems on one another. There is some truth in the Ra series, Organized religions, spirituality, and any other belief system.

Everyone's goal on this forum is to advance their understanding of their personal spirituality. What is true at one level of attainment is not completely true at the next level of attainment, and so on. We all are changing from moment to moment.

When we are children we are not allowed to play with the stove. By the time we achieve adulthood, we have mastered the use of the stove and are able to cook. Our Caretakers [Parents] [Creator] {God] [Yaweh} nows that when we are children we do not have the skills or knowlege to keep from harming ourselves and others in the process of fooling around with the stove. However, when we become adults our Caretakers, ect. expect us to utilize our skills, knowledge, and independence wisely. Now we are allowed to play with the stove.

Alexandra

Old 11-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #43
Kelphi
Avalon Senior Member

If all religions / paths led to the same God, whats the big deal?

I'm secure in my path.

I'm not a pathaphobic.

Peace and Love,

Kelphi
Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #44
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

cant you people understand that religion is THE favorite way for the PTB to divide us, and here we are WANTING to create a subfolder for it (so our conversations can boil down to discussions on how one religion is right and another is wrong).

after the religion subfolder, we can have subfolders for:

- black people and white peoples issues
- gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender issues
- feminism

those are the same exact concepts that the PTB have used over the centuries to divide us and make us fight amongst ourselves, and here we are, actually nurturing them and considering the creation of a folder for one of these splintering concepts.

anyone praising the dems, the republicans, or any other polical party, or even discussing religion in a positive context on project avalon makes me suspicious that they theyre absolutely clueless to what is happening (or people trying to undermine this forum).

im simply shaking my head here in bewilderment.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #45
yikes!
Avalon Senior Member

Just heard this nugget from one of Oprah's Spirit Podcasts

Religion is the Diving board into the Ocean of Spirutality...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #46
RubyTuesday
Avalon Senior Member

I'm a No voter. We are all on a journey, here to make choices. We can choose what to read, what not to read. Creating yet another subforum is another form of physical division. We don't need that imho. The answer isn't creating less choice by segregating ideas...it's making your own choices. Everyone is doing that all the time.

Perhaps if you choose to read a "distasteful" thread because it is in the spirituality board then *maybe* there's a lesson for you there that you would have missed if all such topics were on a board where you never venture?

Fwiw, I'm not into "religion" but I recognize that there are always things to learn from others, even if I don't agree with them.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #47
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

We can let this poll run or closeit. It seems to have been neck and neck from the start though, perhaps the status quo should prevail?

<unstickied>
Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #48
Suriel

Wink Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum in Spirituality? (Vote Here)

Thanks everyone for participating in this poll. Your comments and the poll results will be evaluated by the admin and the mod team. For now, you can enjoy the spirituality sections as it is.

Peace,
Kevin

Closed Thread

Tags
poll, religion, spirituality