Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #426
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis5 View Post
RE ego expressions, the way I decided to conduct myself is working: Instead of adding force to an idea that I consider in opposition to mine I am starting to look for the polarity, to view it as a possible polarity and seeking to merge it rather than further holding the poles apart by adding more force.

I know that makes me look like (and feel like) a naive wimp at times.
Thats a great way to look a it.
In non-duality there are alternatives not opposites.
It takes great strength to be different, to develop humility.
Your no wimp Gnosis5
People are responsible for their thoughts, not you.

There is no strength in running programed which is the case with most people and because they are spiritual asleep they are not aligned to the power of Now and are not aware of this.
The power of any 12 step program lies in humility and surrender to a Higher Power.

Force-- will power creates an equal force in opposition so no progress is made.
Its called the bicep tri-cep principal. The arm-- the aim is locked.

Regards Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #427
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah, and it seems there are different words for the same thing and that gap has to be closed too. I took me a bit of effort to learn the "out-there" terminologies when I left the comfort of my Church. The more I do that the more I can see that we are not so different afterall, those of us who are on the self-improvement path(s).

I'm not bragging in a bad way here, but today I helped a unit of consciousness merge a polarity (or duality -- I guess they mean the same). One end of the charged pole said "to merge" and the other end said "to separate", and because this was spoken in the timelessness of a near void it echoed out for eons, down the halls of time to my little spot on this ball of dirt.

The consciousness and I both processed the energies that were forcing us to choose either one side or the other. Imagine if someone can only either have the goal of separation or the goal of merging and hardly any point in between. What wars are made of, eh!
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #428
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Yes Gnosis5
Its a different language however many hearts are as one.

I believe that many who are not religious, not so called spiritual, not on any path, but are basically kind hearted have the right idea, so to speak.

Thanks as ever for your input on this thread.
Thanks also for sharing your experiences on the "Between lives" thread

With Love
Chris
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #429
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Yes, to quote someone, "Even a dog knows truth."

cheers!
gnosis
Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #430
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Some heroes are unsung, yeah even un-singable -- and they are happy about that :-) I know of one :-)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #431
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

The ego loves drama and one of the main ways it does is to perpetuate fear.
All ego positionalities come down to fear, needing to have, fear of lack, blowing ones own trumpet, insecurity, fear that others are better than one in some way, attention seeking, fear of not being loved. all prejudiced comes from fear of that which we dont know or understand.
The list is endless.
If fear is removed think of the kind of world we would live in.

The ego is animalistic and was necessary to our survival -- me first-- survival of the fittest.
The front cortex of the brain is a relatively new addition to what is still an animal reptilian "processor" as in computer.
So we have become a very intelligent animal. We could blow up the plant with one finger on the launch button of nuclear missiles, well two fingers actually.

The human race has been at war for 95% of its known history and without a change in attitude ie consciousness-- past history if continued would make major use of atomic weapons inevitable. Good bye human race!!!

With out the ego the human race would not have survived,
We had to know what was safe to eat and what would eat us.
We had to be dualistic in order to survive long enough as a species to give human consciousness the time to experience, to grow spiritually, make ready for the next stage in our evolution.
So the ego has served us well but time to move on.

So what happens when the ego is transcended?

If the Sages who tell us they experience the world in an entirely different non dualistic,ego less way are to be believed (and I do) the the ego less state of Oneness is one filled with peace and love, enjoying life in a radiance that is unknown to us, the as yet non enlightened.
The ego is just redundant not required because in the state of enlightenment the awareness takes over from the mind, as we know it, verbal thought is not necessary, there is a non verbal knowing. appropriate action just happens. As said life is enjoyed to the full.

Transcending the ego is to my mind crucial to our survival.
It is that important.

If you are new to this thread can I suggest that you take time to read at least some of the other pages. There have been some great contributions.

With love
Chris
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #432
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

QUOTE: "...verbal thought is not necessary, there is a non verbal knowing. appropriate action just happens. As said life is enjoyed to the full.

Transcending the ego is to my mind crucial to our survival.
It is that important."

Thank you.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #433
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Gnosis5
YOUR A HEROINE.
Chris

Last edited by greybeard; 02-16-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #434
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Aw, shucks! I'm just special -- just like everyone else
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #435
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

My friend aroundthetable reminded me about THE BHAGAVAD GITA. a marvelous spiritual book, one of the oldest in the world yet still current.

This is a quote from it

"Seek refuge in the attitude of detachment and you will amass the wealth of spiritual awareness.
Those who are motivated only by desire for the fruits of action are miserable, for they are
constantly anxious about the results of what they do.
When consciousness is unified , however, all vain anxiety is left behind.
There is no cause for worry, whether things go well or ill.
Therefore devote yourself to the discipline of yoga, for yoga is skill in action."

Yoga in this sense can be Karma Yoga (or other non physical yoga)

Chris
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #436
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Karma Yoga? Never heard about that before, but I'll buy into anything that is non-physical :-)

My understanding is that every extant spiritual text can be traced to the Vedas, however, I further understand that even the Hindu-preserved scriptures have been corrupted, so, caveat emptor. Grab the goodies and run is my motto :-)

Speaking of detachment, today I exteriorized from the body (well still let a part of me there) and I was above the treetops. Felt great!!! Brought myself back to earth with one of Canada's famous all-you-can-eat buffets :-)

cheers!
Gnosis
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #437
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=Gnosis5;239998]Karma Yoga? Never heard about that before, but I'll buy into anything that is non-physical :-)

My understanding is that every extant spiritual text can be traced to the Vedas, however, I further understand that even the Hindu-preserved scriptures have been corrupted, so, caveat emptor. Grab the goodies and run is my motto :-)

Speaking of detachment, today I exteriorized from the body (well still let a part of me there) and I was above the treetops. Felt great!!! Brought myself back to earth with one of Canada's famous all-you-can-eat buffets :-)

cheers!

Nice to see you here again Gnosus5
Karma Yoga is "Selfless Service"
The action is offered to God.
It could be peeling potatoes.
Its service because you are giving God the fruits of your labour.
It may even be that the God within takes over and does it.
When we take ourselves out of the action and give due credit to God we get Karmic merit

You may have heard athletes speaking of being in the zone. Tired exhausted can give no more then all of a sudden they can perform effortlessly.
We are wondrous beings when we let go of the negativity of Ego.

Yes the Vedas said it all many thousands of years before Christ before The Buddha, before Krishna.

Cu
Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #438
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thought I would post a little more from The Bhagavad Gita as translated by Eknath Easwaran.

Krishna speaking to Arjunana

"O mighty Arjunana, even if you believe the Self to be subject to birth and death, you should not grieve. Death is inevitable for the living, birth is inevitable for the dead. Since these are unavoidable, you should not sorrow.
Every creature is unmanifested at first and then attains manifestation. When its end has come, it once again becomes unmanifested. What is there to lament in this?

The glory of the Self is beheld by a few, and a few describe it; a few listen, but many without understanding. The Self of all beings, living within the body, is eternal and cannot be harmed.
Therefore, do not grieve."

The little self, the me, the ego associates strongly with the body.
Yet even scientific geniuses like Einstein accepted that there was something unmeasurable beyond the intellect, beyond the body.
Conscious is formless yet we all accept we are conscious.
The ego being the master of illusion, maya, dosent want to go there.
I smile when people talk about the powers that be, they are amateurs compared with the ego which holds you in bondage.

With love
Chris
Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #439
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Pops in and sniffs the air Hey Chris
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #440
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthetable View Post
Pops in and sniffs the air Hey Chris
Thanks for dropping by aroundthetable.

You started a great thread "Why making God unfashionable never works"

I enjoy it immensely.

Chris
Namaste
Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #441
Oliver
Avalon Senior Member

Great thread, Greybeard.

Here is my brief opinion.
What we possess, what we rule over is a manifestation of our ego.
(We can discuss what is possession or control in all levels -from sex to political systems...)
An individual can establish control over his/her ego...but!..but...a person without ego in this System (that is cultivating exactly the ego) is completely vulnerable in all elements of life. There must be no reason for fear to initiate the ego manifestations. The opposite of fear, as you all know, is Love. Every time we are coming to this point.
Because of that, I believe that the real way to transcend the ego is this to be done planetary, universally...prevailing the fears of/for ALL, which means nobody to be a danger for anybody.

Love&Respect

I am posting also this video with Osho`s words about his way of liberating from ego. The quality of sound is low, but i hope you will understand what the master is saying.

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #442
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Oliver.
Osho's teachings are great.
Namaste
Chris
Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #443
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUwqU...layer_embedded

Eckhart Tolle link.
Chris
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #444
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.opraheckhart.com/

This is very relevant to the thread.

Regards Chris
Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #445
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Its a freezing morning here in Scotland but the sun shines.
Truth is the sun is always shining, there may be clouds obscuring it from our view but its there.
The Truth/Gods Love is always available to us but the ego obscures it. The Truth/Love is available to all without exception.
The sun shines on all without discrimination.

Its up to us to do what it takes to at least be aware of what is happening with the ego. Awareness dissolves the ego.

Chris
Old 02-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #446
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Oh, yes, thanks for pointing out the obvious -- the sun is always shining. Thanks for helping me to make that no longer an issue :-)

Here's a good quote for you:

"By surrendering “will” to God, one’s consciousness level goes up. The ego’s secret is that it would like to be God. It does not want to recognize God. [Keeps you creating more of 'what-is because it loves to consume your Energy. That's what feeds it.]"
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 AM   #447
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

More stuff about Ego:

"Ego is only “true” in the “proximate field” (the prevailing conditions). By not stating context, you are not dealing with truth. Ego creates statements that are not true in a different context. (Different conditions, different historical context) Sensitivity to context makes us immune to manipulation by propaganda. (Examples—German children, Kamikaze pilots)"

All from this link: http://powerfulintent.ning.com/profi...logPost:578352
Old 02-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #448
truthseekerdan
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
The human race has been at war for 95% of its known history and without a change in attitude ie consciousness-- past history if continued would make major use of atomic weapons inevitable. Good bye human race!!!

With love
Chris
I agree, if you don't count the Atlantians.
truthseekerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #449
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Hi chris and all contributors.

Chris stated.....The ego loves drama and one of the main ways it does is to perpetuate fear....

I was just thinking about this last night so it was a moment of synchronicity (sp?) for me when this line Chris wrote was the first one i saw today.

Spiritual life requires a stable base of calmness and serenity, a lot of the practices and techiques develop these qualities. So what made me think of this was that i was watching a film, no different than most average films, and there was the usual dramatic tension involved that drives a typical hollywood narrative forward. And i felt my blood pressure rising, you know how the heart beats slightly quicker, whether its comedy or horror or indeed a drama. And its the same with news stories, usually bad news and news that builds drama and creates fear. We may not notice all the time because we become so conditioned to a state of fear and anxiety. So two things i draw from that is to be very careful about what we watch on tv, especially the news and also that all this drama does indeed have the result of binding us to the illusion of fear and anxiety of helplessness and sadness, and takes us away from getting the opportunity to experience calmness, peace and serenity and thus the chance to develop spiritual progress. So thats my thought for the day Edit...So this is what creates FALSE ego

Last edited by aroundthetable; 02-21-2010 at 12:03 PM.
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #450
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you for your contributions Gnosis5 Truthseekerdan and aroundthetable.

Eckhart Tolle
said of the media.
"Made for pain bodies by pain bodies" thats the ego seeking drama.
As conscious rises within, media looses its attraction.
Spiritual Truth becomes more important.
I feel that God would not leave us unsupported in these difficult but exciting times.
Hence we have Tolle & Hawkins, and no doubt many others of high vibration sharing, spiritual truth.
I believe that consciousness is rising because the Totality (God) wills it.
One indicator is that thirty years or so ago a book like Eckart's "Power of Now" would have been lucky to have sold a few thousand copies. Yet that book was on the New York Times best seller list and has sold millions of copies world wide.
In God I trust.
Love Chris