Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
es7ter
Avalon Senior Member

Default Can fashion have conscious?

My dear fellow Avalonians, I ask the question: can fashion have a conscious?
I am a freelance fashion stylist and accessories designer. I’ve been working in fashion for about 8 years now and I am very disappointed to know, that so many of the fashion houses, brands and labels still practice unethical trading. By that I mean, sweat shops, animal cruelty and a very dirty and shameless way of trading.
Before I decided to leave my last job working in the heart of the city for a high end fashion label as store manager and acting regional I really had the opportunity to discover the dirty lining under the flashy cover. I was a people manager, meaning managing people according to their strengths and weaknesses and not a stock manager, who cares little about the underlying facts of individual performance. Yet it was very rootless.

Nothing matters, no personal problems, no other commitments, just slavery to achieve maximum performance. And the measure of that is in the sales results. I was driving my team to achieve with an empowering attitude, end even they were top performers, it was never enough. I was told; “it’s a competitive industry and everyone has an expiry date” Nice to know...

Simply no human can keep up, and clearly if you have a soul you can only take the abuse so long... My job was to be straight forward yet fair. I had shielded them from all I could, yet so many times the ugly truth showed its face. The system is based on fear, hierarchy and intimidation. If you are anything less that than ruthless competitive money driven over achiever you just won’t cut it. You must look apart and play your part if you do not wish to be someone else’s doormat from higher up.

The ever changing face of fashion displays and the new and newest trends never stop. You are in vogue in one minute and the next day you are out. It’s a monster of an industry. No one can keep up and indeed no one should.

Why should we reward bad behaviour? Why should we play this dirty game? Why should one be defined by brad names? It is indeed very very sad.

The clothes are expensive but they are made the cheapest way possible and by the time they are priced the company makes 2 to 3 hundred percent profit on each item, the least. And what do those get who work hard and are treated so bad, they health...mental, emotional and physical suffers. And for what? So we can get the 20th pair of shoes or another handbag? Would you still buy it if you had to look into the eye of one of those workers? Or to know, that the pushy sales assistant just had a 20 minute ear bash from the manager and instead of crying they force on the ice cold smile and try to sell you anything possible, just to get a good review and get to keep their job? Think about it...

I am grateful for my experience; because it opened my eyes... since that I treasure my vintage pieces even more. I buy only from brands, that I know they pride themselves on ethical trading and making their goods according to that. I buy less and I buy items that will last years to come. I purchase things that are mad in the country I live in and I get things made by a local seamstress or tailor instead of putting more money into the pockets of those who do nothing but abuse their power and enslave many.

I encourage my clients to do the same. I help them with tips on how to stop fabric going into land field. I give clothes away to charity when I can. And I also by in op shops, when I find a nice piece I reuse the fabrics and make something beautiful from an outdated cut. One man’s trash is another ones treasure. And it’s so true. I can afford to buy brand new, yet there is a lot more fun, more individual and I can wear it knowing, that the piece has more to it. It has style with a difference.

When I purchase materials for fashion jewellery I do the same. I use a lot of vintage and pre loved findings also and the quality really stands the test of time. I use natural materials and never give in to buying disposable fashion since.

Please consider this next time you shop, think it through and be good to Mother Nature and to others. If we stop buying from the two faced monsters, than this madness eventually have to stop and we can get things that are eco friendly and made with ethical practice. Look of alternatives, there are many. You don’t have to look like a hippy. (No disrespect to the hippies) And what can be better that leading from the front and looking at fashion in a different light?!

I believe that we can change this and support fashion with a conscious. Thank you for reading!
es7ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Can fashion have conscious?

well i only know that there is no fashion in nature
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Fashion in nature!!!

Now this is nature's own brand of 'fashion' - a perfect match. xx

gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

I would like to know if there is a site (or list) somewhere that includes those manufacturers with ethical practices. We need to support them. Thanks for a great thread!
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

So few people ever think about such issues...thank you for the thread...I try to be a conscious shopper but the information isn't always there....
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
amate
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I buy only from brands, that I know they pride themselves on ethical trading and making their goods according to that. I buy less and I buy items that will last years to come. I purchase things that are made in the country I live in and I get things made by a local seamstress or tailor instead of putting more money into the pockets of those who do nothing but abuse their power and enslave many.
This is exactly the way I try to avoid this dirty game and to be honest, it gives me a lot of satisfaction.....

Quote:
I give clothes away to charity when I can. And I also by in op shops, when I find a nice piece I reuse the fabrics and make something beautiful from an outdated cut. One man’s trash is another ones treasure. And it’s so true. I can afford to buy brand new, yet there is a lot more fun, more individual and I can wear it knowing, that the piece has more to it. It has style with a difference.
And Yes, fashion can have conscious......

Last edited by Anchor; 02-11-2010 at 10:17 PM.
amate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
amate
Avalon Senior Member

Sorry, I'm new here and I can't handle that QUOTE thing yet LOL

Last edited by amate; 02-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amate View Post
Sorry, I'm new here and I can't handle that QUOTE thing yet LOL

You nearly had it, use the word QUOTE instead of CODE. - I fixed it for you.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
es7ter
Avalon Senior Member

Hello Everyone,

I haven’t find a site as such where a list of ethically trading companies would be present, however I know there are sites, that list or mention some of those brands, who did not sign the ethical trade act and all their clothes are made in so called developing nations. I do buy Australian made and owned whenever possible. There is bamboo fibre clothing, soy and organic cotton T-shirts, eco denim, hemp clothing and much more available. I visit local markets, fair trades and websites to find something new and alternative.
Often the best way to go about it is to buy the fabric yourself and hook up with a good seamstress in your area. By that you support local business also. Plus the clothes you wear, from trousers to skirts and shirts will be individual and made to last, provided he or she is good at what they do and you get quality materials.
There are a lot of DIY projects on threadbangers.com, so if you feel crafty you can do a few very lovely things. There is generation T on how to transform T-shirts into something else, this helps us reduce fabric going into land field. You might just end up with a lovely bathroom mat made from your old T-shirts that is soft, washable and really funky.
Look around in your local area. I am sure that you’ll have some findings soon, as with everything, once the intention is out there the universe guides us to find the ways.
Here are sites, which might be at your interest:

http://www.ethicaltrade.org/news-and...n-ethical-pest
http://www.foe.co.uk/living/articles...l_fashion.html

It is a lifestyle change and a journey, unfortunately it isn’t that easy. If the fashion companies would declare: “we get things made in sweatshops and we don’t really care about anything but money in the till” that would be very transparent and they would be out of business soon.
I encourage every one of you to start with buying locally made whenever possible. Then maybe only get eco died organic soy cotton blend T-shirts when your old ones are done. Don’t just chuck away your old things; be creative with what can be done with them.
Embrace an ethical way for the love of fashion. After all we still wear clothes and don’t run around naked, so make it as conscious as possible. Thanks for reading and feel free to let me know if I can be any more of your assistance.
es7ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
amate
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
You nearly had it, use the word QUOTE instead of CODE. - I fixed it for you.
Anchor, thank you so much for your help....you really are an Anchor !