Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #1976
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by judykott View Post
Thanks for all the uploads of interesting books!!
No worries my friend... thanks for posting, so glad we are on a new page and I don't have to look at those bums anymore! nauseating (thanks Brook & Brinty heres some payback - Hasslehoff above ).

Last edited by Luminari; 06-01-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #1977
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #1978
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Hey girls, here are a few clips of a favorite group of mine from my younger days. If you can keep up with the driving beat and the calisthenics, Sha Na Na will help you lose about 10 pounds.

So come on, up on your feet, you don't need a partner, they'd only get in the way.

Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #1979
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Love your posts and music Brinty, but please please get rid of this creepy little thingy!!!It needs to be---or
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #1980
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
Love your posts and music Brinty, but please please get rid of this creepy little thingy!!!It needs to be---or
yea Carmen or even and and ..
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #1981
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Girls, your wish is my command - nearly.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #1982
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Ahhh ! Tanks Brinty, your a lovely man

Cheers

Carmen
Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #1983
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

HOLY SMOKE! A bear hug.

Well, yes, it looks too cold for a bare hug.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #1984
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

How bout this then

Love

Carmen
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #1985
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Aww, gee, dat's nice Carmen. It gives me da warm fuzzies.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #1986
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinty View Post
Aww, gee, dat's nice Carmen. It gives me da warm fuzzies.

and we the wuzzies
Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #1987
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Relax and learn something of English customs, phrases:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** LIFE IN THE 1500'S ***

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s':

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water..

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying It's raining cats and dogs. There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, Dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance way. Hence the saying a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, bring home the bacon. They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat..

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock a person out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a ..dead ringer..

And that's the truth. Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

Educate someone. Share these facts with a friend.
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #1988
judykott
Avalon Senior Member

Great Pictures Carmen, love the new avatar as well.

Northern Sanctuary I love articles like that, great find.
judykott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #1989
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

There's one explanation for an expression that I heard many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, it was on a British radio series called My Word.

The story goes that in the 1400s and 1500s, on warships the canon balls were kept below deck in very cramped conditions with very little headroom. They had boys of eleven or twelve years who's job it was to carry the canon balls up to the canons. These boys were referred to as monkeys because of their crouching in the cramped space and their peculiar gate as they carried the heavy canon balls.

Came a time when they were replaced by a large brass plate with a rim around it where the canon balls were stacked in a pyramidal fashion beside the canons. In the northern winters, seawater blown onto the decks would freeze. Now, when water freezes, it expands. Canon balls drenched with seawater rolled off the brass plates when the water froze and expanded. The brass plates which had replaced the boys referred to as monkeys, became known as brass monkeys.

So, when the weather was extremely cold, it was said to be cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #1990
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I'm a sucker for kitties. Nice pic.

Interesting history lesson as well.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #1991
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

It's been a bit dull and gloomy with all the bad news lately, so how about we join that British group, The Barron Knights as they entertain us with a few well known (and not so well known) songs.

YouTube - Barron Knights Gobbledegook

YouTube - Have You Seen Her
Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #1992
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Brinty you are the King of random bands I have never heard of!

Thanks, Im always learning.. and you constantly surprise me.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #1993
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #1994
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Here's some more humor from another British group, The Wurzels. These blokes were all the rage on the 1970s.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #1995
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Brinty your mr music man himself

where do you find em BRILLIANT stuff ..

thanks a great way to start the day .... a little wurzzzzling
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #1996
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
Brinty your mr music man himself

where do you find em BRILLIANT stuff ..

thanks a great way to start the day .... a little wurzzzzling
Well rhythm, as I told Luminari, I know the rocks and hedges to look under. Also, I found a couple under the back table in the Lounge.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #1997
judykott
Avalon Senior Member

Brinty, Brinty this lounge would not be the same without you, glad you are here and sharing your warmth , humor, and great music finds.
judykott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #1998
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you judy, rhythm and Luminari for your kind words. I find as I get older, that there is more doom and gloom on many fronts. Some of it is only obvious to those of us in the 'know.' The economic situation world-wide is affecting more and more of the human population.

Humor won't alter or take away the doom and gloom, but it can ease the pressure for a moment. Both doom and gloom, and humor are contagious I'd rather contract humor that doom and gloom, so I seek out those things I remember from my younger days that made me laugh.

As 'they' say, everything old is new again. Like this group, 'Fred' who have anything but the title of their song.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #1999
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I always try to promote my radio show because it's something I genuinely enjoy doing. I don't do it for money. I do it to prove a point and that is that you cannot stick someone in a box and expect them to stay there. They will eventually break down all the walls and live life the way they've wanted to, like I'm doing now.

Anyway, it's at the WRUV Archives. Click on the Archives link and look for "Janitors From Mars" by the Humble Janitor (yes, that is my DJ name, though I just barely started doing shows) on the scroll-down list.

I've been thinking about playing a mp3 of certain healing frequencies but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. I could pass them off as instrumentals but then again, it's something I'll look into. I'd have to have a way to explain where they came from and I doubt Old Man FCC would come and complain if I did.

I usually play punk, ska, hardcore and metal. I try to start on a fast note and find songs that that a certain feel to them that I'm looking for.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #2000
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Humble, I found it by clicking on Djs instead of Archives.
Saturday at 8pm!!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote