Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Julius
Avalon Senior Member

Default What electronics is worth protecting?

Okay, say we get a blast if this solar magnetic energy that fries up all electronics, but the only way to protect it is by wrapping it in aluminum foil paper (or copper) and bury it.

So I'm thinking, what is worth protecting? Why protect a radio if no one is broadcasting? Why protect a micro-wave is there's no generator running?
Maybe a laptop so you can review your download survival pages...I can't think of what else..
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default Re: What electronics is worth protecting?

MP3 player so that you have some music to help you through it all.
PSP or DS for games and amusement
Don't want a life without music
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

I was going to put me laptop and wind-up radio inside the microwave, as just as it doesn't let microwaves out, it also doesn't let them in from outside. Just make sure you don't accidentally switch it on with your goodies inside.
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
sleepingnomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
Okay, say we get a blast if this solar magnetic energy that fries up all electronics, but the only way to protect it is by wrapping it in aluminum foil paper (or copper) and bury it.

So I'm thinking, what is worth protecting? Why protect a radio if no one is broadcasting? Why protect a micro-wave is there's no generator running?
Maybe a laptop so you can review your download survival pages...I can't think of what else..

Why can't you just print them?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feardia View Post
I was going to put me laptop and wind-up radio inside the microwave, as just as it doesn't let microwaves out, it also doesn't let them in from outside. Just make sure you don't accidentally switch it on with your goodies inside.
Thats an interesting point, any proof of this working, extra mods etc?
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Stabris8
Avalon Senior Member

This was my thinking: even if I do save my computer, who's to know if any IP would be up and running? I can't fathom that they would go to extremes to protect all of their electronic gear! All I would have would be my saved files etc. Wouldn't be able to get on the net or such.

I currently do print out my important (imo) saved stuff on the puter!
Stabris8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
stiros
Avalon Senior Member

In my opinion, it is very important to save the knowledge and possibilities to manufacture electronics, because I don't think we want to end our civilisation regarding useful electronics.
If we just save a lot of different electronic gadgets, these will occasionally cease to function and after a while everything is broken. I don't like the thought of entering a new Stone Age for mankind, of course if we survive the “expected actions” from the “power elite”.
As I see it, we have to “release” the “power elite” from its power, and create new societies based on for example Love, Freedom and Truth.
I don't think the old “hierarchical dominance systems” are something good, maybe we should take a look at the old "tribe system", perhaps added with some “open source” thinking.
The prophecies will alter if we act......

stiros
stiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
rosie
Avalon Senior Member

None in my eyes. I love music, but it is all around us in nature.
I love games, the hands on kind, not the staring at a screen kind.

I guess I do not put any value into electronics, I use them because I have too.

But:
The only electronics I would protect would be the kind that are needed to keep someone alive, and thank goodness I do not have to worry about that.

love & peace
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Not in a million years whould I have thought to put the laptop into the microwave to protect it from EMF.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

With respect to putting electronics in the microwave, there is a good risk it won't work. The perforated metal screen is designed to block the microwave effectively, but it will not block energy of a higher frequency (the size of the hole affected what will get blocked, or not blocked). An EMP has a very short duration, and if you look at the generated frequencies, it has a very wide spectrum, so the higher frequencies will get through.
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote